My new 642

This is a discussion on My new 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have both the 442 and 642. I have the CT grips on the 442 for night carry, and i have some wood grips on ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: My new 642

I have both the 442 and 642. I have the CT grips on the 442 for night carry, and i have some wood grips on the 642 from Esmeralda... check them out, you will love them. It makes pocket carry very easy. Bunker
    Cory1022 likes this.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

2. Remove Ads

I didn't know they made them with different size barrels, mine is 1 7/8 I believe, and I paid $359.99 for it.

+P packs a punch lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I didn't know they made them with different size barrels, mine is 1 7/8 I believe, and I paid $359.99 for it.

+P packs a punch lol.
    You are right, their web site is wrong. It's 1 7/8" everywhere else I looked. Thanks.

Very nice! The 642 is on the top of my short list.
    Question Everything!

Admire J frames in general

I got my 642 about 15 years ago, before S&W invented the internal lock. It has been a very useful gun, and conceals like a champ. It is on the left in the picture, next to 2 all steel J frames with external hammers.

Cory1022 and BugDude like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Those grips are beautiful, nice collection!

So be honest, how many times have the grips swapped frames?

Administrator
    If you want to look inside of your new wheel gun..............
    Don't ever pry off that S&W revolver side plate and don't mix up your screws.
    Watch the beginning part of this video if you want to see the proper way to remove a S&W side plate.
    And....make sure that your screwdriver fits the slots in the side plate screws exactly.
    Either buy a gunsmith screwdriver set or grind a high quality ordinary screwdriver to mate perfectly with the screw slots.

Thanks guys!

I'll have to check out how to do the internals... this is my first wheelgun so I have some learning to do. :) I put 60 rounds through it tonight (50 Federal bulk lead and 10 Winchester PDX 130gr +P).

Seems I shoot it high and to the right (I'm a lefty).

Trigger is better than I thought it would be, almost has a breaking point at the end.
    BugDude and dchet like this.

Nice revolver choice...she should serve you very well.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Been debating on the 442 for a while now and Fleet Farm had a sale on the 642, enough to sway my wallet that way.
    I wish the Fleet Farms around here sold handguns, ours are long guns only. The next handgun I buy is going to be a 442.

You got great piece. Stainless protects gun from body moisture. Consider buying synthetic pocket holders makes easy to carry in any pocket or coat plus conceals gun shape.
    I have 642 love it and carry every where 18 hours a day. I must do periodic practice to remain accurate because light weight and short barrel alters my shot. Practice returns accuracy.. Minor price cus Like to shoot. Light weight and short, 642 is one of best conceal weapons.

Nylon holders are massed produced in many general sizes. I searched a while to get proper fit for me. Mine holds gun by fiction. Yet drawing gun from pocket the Nylon holder remains in pocket.

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Congrats. I BUG my 442, but I'd much rather have the stainless flavor. With a hammer. Sorry. Mine has a lock too, but I have no idea where it is or how it works :)
    My BUG is a 442 also (pocket carried). I opted to get the 442 over the 642 because of the darker color which helps in concealment. Most people won't notice something black slipping out of your jean pocket; a shiny silver object sticks out like a sore thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    That's good news because it's the worst trigger you'll ever encounter. But then again, that is the safety. I've dry fired mine literally 10K times to try to see where I can get it to. It still sucks large wang, but then again, when I need it, I'll probably not notice how bad it is....
    I agree, the trigger is awful. But, like you said, it keeps us safe. I had to work to find that sweet spot where I could pull through 95% of the trigger to rotate the cylinder into lock before it would fire. That's the part where you'll be least accurate and jerk the gun. If you can make that pull second nature until you only have 5% left to fire the gun, you're in good shape. Like you said, it helps to dry fire it to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Looks like its super-easy to carry conceal. Congrats on the new addition. It makes me wanna go out and check one out...
    Very easy to conceal. Checkout the DeSantis Nemesis Pocket Holster -- I highly recommend it for pocket carry. Takes about a week or two to break in and mold to your leg/pants, for lack of a better term. I just look like I have junk in my pocket (wallet, garage door opener, pack of playing cards, etc.). I'll post some pics tomorrow.
    Cory1022 likes this.

RKM
    You're going to love it. Recently I started carrying a 442 in my right front pocket.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    Thunder71, mine is a no-lock model.

Two or three years ago, I was eyeballing them, but didn't really want one with a lock. My LGS got in some of the new no-lock 642s, and I grabbed one.
    It takes about 20 minutes to remove the internal lock mechanism (the part you remove is call a flag) in a J frame. Very easy and it only removes the internal part of the lock and does not leave a hole in the frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM
    lowercase likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I love my little 5 shot. That gun goes with me about 95% of the time I leave the house.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links