My new 642 - Page 3

My new 642

This is a discussion on My new 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So the visible key piece stays put somehow? Originally Posted by pirate It takes about 20 minutes to remove the internal lock mechanism (the part ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: My new 642

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    So the visible key piece stays put somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    It takes about 20 minutes to remove the internal lock mechanism (the part you remove is call a flag) in a J frame. Very easy and it only removes the internal part of the lock and does not leave a hole in the frame.

S&W Internal Lock Removal - YouTube

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Yes, watch the video. The key lock is attached to the frame. All you are removing is the flag (internal part). Simple and easy and makes the J frame a no-lock again. And for those who have never opened up a revolver it gives you a chance to see how these guns work. For those who want to add a spring kit its the perfect time to do both.
    BugDude likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I love S&W j-frames. All types. They are classic perfect concealed carry guns. With so many different rounds available and grip options available, they can be taylored to fit just about anyone.

I have 2 now, a 442 and an old steel 49 Bodyguard. I want a few more. An old Chief Special and another one (Chief or Bodyguard) in all stainless steel. I may consider thinning out my herd to make room for more j-frames.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I have the 637 which is basically the same gun minus the hammer shroud. It is one of my favorite carry guns.

Congrats on the purchase. You got a great price. I carry a 642 in a DeSantis Nemesis holster in the summer in cargo shorts as a primary carry. In the winter, it is generally a BUG. But it is a great carry gun! I have always loved S&W revolvers, and the 642 is great for concealed carry. You'll love it!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Congrats on the fine carry gun.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Took it apart today and removed the internal safety according to the YouTube video... seems to function properly but I haven't shot it yet.

Ditto on the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster!

Now you know your new weapon doesnt have the rounds you will need when the zombies/flash mobs/etc, etc hit...LOL...sorry, couldnt resist. My SP101 goes with me everywhere.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Took it apart today and removed the internal safety according to the YouTube video... seems to function properly but I haven't shot it yet.
    Good job. The guy who made the video did a great job with the tutorial.
    Last edited by pirate; November 14th, 2011 at 11:44 PM.
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Yeah he did, can't think of anything he could have done better!

i have a 442 that gets carried to work everyday (need deep cover at work) i love it youll get used to the trigger pull

I haven't seen that video, but I can tell you this; simply removing the "flag" is a bad idea. Doing so leaves a 1.5mm or so "space" in there, between the lock mechanism and the hammer. If you shoot the revolver much, the actual circular part that takes the key can become dislodged in the frame and bind up the hammer as effectively as if the mechanism was intact and the lock engaged.

It happened to me. I have a 360PD, purchased in 2002, that I carried in my LE job. I shot perhaps ten .357s through it when it was new, and said to hell with all of that. I then removed the flag, and for the next five years put close to three thousand rounds of .38 target wadcutters through the revolver, with the occasional cylinderful of +P .38 carry rounds.

I retired in 2007, and went to work as a range rat for the local sheriff's office. The 360PD went in the safe. No need for a BUG on a police range, right? Maybe six months later, I took it in to work to show it to a deputy who had inquired about it. I made sure the cylinder was empty, closed same, and pulled the trigger DA; it moved halfway and stopped. The circular lock mechanism had come loose, dropped into the frame, and jammed the hammer.

If I had still had the "flag", I could have put it all back together and restored the revolver to operational status. Alsa, the flag was long gone. I removed the rest of the mechanism, and it was working again, albeit with this huge hole in the frame. Just recently, I decided to try one of the plugs that the guy on the S&W Forum offers. They work.

But here is a simpler solution. Remove the flag, and grind off the nub which is the part that locks the hammer. Re-install the flag, and the "lock" cannot do anything even if it self-engages... and that has happened on non-magnum revolvers, not just the AirLite .357s and .44s. Leaving the nub-less flag in place ensures that everything stays where it is supposed to. Yes, there will probably be a bit of drag on the trigger action, but these are not target pistols, guys. Dry or live firing will clear up any drag points in short order.

Thanks for the post on the issue you had after removing the flag from your J frame. Personally I still think the chances of the weapon malfunctioning are greater with the flag installed than with removed, but of course there is no real data to support this assumption. I like others have heard of failures of the lock equipped J frames because of the flag binding up the internals but your post is the first malfunction of a J frame because the flag was removed I have heard of to date. I don’t think most owners of J frames will ever come close to firing 3K rounds through their guns as you have through your gun, and after this amount of use any small pocket gun could show some internal wear and tear that may potentially cause a malfunction. I have inspected my J frame for the very issue you allude too and have not found a problem to date. But I don’t have the round count through my J frame that you do. But that being said your point is a valid point, and removing the frame mounted part of the lock and plugging the hole may be the best option after removing the flag. Of course in reality the issues related to the internal lock itself binding up these guns is so rare statistically that other mechanical parts failures/issues are more likely to cause a problem with these handguns than any issue with the lock.

Here is a link to a good thread on these issues with the lock and plugs on the S&W forum.
    The "Plug" for a S&W J-Frame

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I took mine out and ground down the part that locked the hammer, then re-installed it so it would appear normal and not add any open area to collect dust, or debris.

I did this to both my Smith J frames; as soon as another ones added, it'll get the same treatment.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links