My new 642

This is a discussion on My new 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by pirate after this amount of use any small pocket gun could show some internal wear and tear that may potentially cause a ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: My new 642

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    after this amount of use any small pocket gun could show some internal wear and tear that may potentially cause a malfunction.
    Not a J frame. Contrary to some beliefs, the MIM parts in the newer examples are every bit as robust as the old milled steel pieces/parts. A steady diet of high-pressure rounds will eventually cause some issues, but these little revolvers will digest standard pressure or lighter target loads practically forever.

Grinding the nub off obviates any opportunity for malfunctions. The part just sits there, with the hammer sliding past it. As stated earlier, even if it does indeed self-engage, it will just "pop up"; and sit there with the hammer still sliding past it.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I took mine out and ground down the part that locked the hammer, then re-installed it so it would appear normal and not add any open area to collect dust, or debris.
    Actually, this isn't an issue. I was concerned about that myself, and detail-stripped the gun every few months to see. There wasn't any more gradeaux or "debris" in there than what I would consider to be normal. I pocket-carried that little beast every day for over five years, shot it quite a bit, and after the second time I gutted it, looking for grunge, build-up, etc. (and finding none), I went back to a normal cleaning routine.

Of course, the OP is about the Centennial, which is a TOTAL non-issue in this regard.... enclosed frame, and all of that...

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Every year I almost buy one of those! Some day I guess I will. Congrats & keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by vista461 View Post
    I wish the Fleet Farms around here sold handguns, ours are long guns only. The next handgun I buy is going to be a 442.
    Well what do you know, our Fleet Farm sells handguns now.

Sweet! Is it still in sale?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Saw the 642 for 379,not sure if it was a sale price or not. It was a lock model.

Here it was $359.99 on sale, not sure what their normal price on it is.

Love my 642. It is a damn shame that revolvers in general do not get much love from new gun owners. Most new gun owners I know buy semiauto pistols, AKs, ARs, etc before they ever own a wheel gun or 22 pistol/rifle.

Yeah, I agree and I'm glad I picked one up finally (took less than a year). I can see how wheel guns could become addicting, though.

Must fight the urge!

As of yesterday, I am the proud owner of a 642. Gander has them on sale this week for $379. The wife wasn't too happy as this is my 4th handgun, but it was too good to pass up.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    Brian
    Walther PPS
    Glock 19
    Smith & Wesson 642
    Kahr CM9
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

I bought a 642 - No Lock, new over a year ago and love it. I shoot it a lot, mostly with my reduced handloads. Carry it most days in a Galco pocket holster in my right front pocket.
    GREAT FORUM

Congrats on the new weapon,
    Been trying to decide on a J frame for a while now, the 442 "Moon Clip" pro series, the 442 standard ? And the 340 PD thats 4 ounces lighter and can shoot 357's. Besides the pro series what is the moon clip for /do ? is it a speed loader cylinder ??

Think it's time for Eenie, Meenie, Miney Mo ?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by rson63 View Post
    Congrats on the new weapon,
    Been trying to decide on a J frame for a while now, the 442 "Moon Clip" pro series, the 442 standard ? And the 340 PD thats 4 ounces lighter and can shoot 357's. Besides the pro series what is the moon clip for /do ? is it a speed loader cylinder ??

Think it's time for Eenie, Meenie, Miney Mo ?
    I could only imagine how the recoil is on the 340 PD. My 642's has more recoil than any of my other pistols. My LCPs recoil is nothing compared to my 642 (using standard pressure rounds).

I agree. I loved my 642. I loved it shooting 148gr wadcutters. I found shooting +P defence loads a little much. I cant imagine shooting the 340. I sold my 642 when I bought my CM9. That said Im back in the market for a J frame or LCR.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links