I sold all my handguns

This is a discussion on I sold all my handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Your going to wind up buying more guns again ! It happens ! Right now you rationalized why you only need one, but as a ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: I sold all my handguns

Your going to wind up buying more guns again ! It happens ! Right now you rationalized why you only need one, but as a gun enthusiast your going to get the bug again !
    I did it with musical instruments and sold all my equipment when I thought I didn't want to play anymore. 6 months down the road I got the itch and bought equipment again. Same with guns, I did the same thing in the 90's and sold all of them. I now am back up to 7 and still want more ! I'll never sell my guns ever again !

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

2. Remove Ads

You know what they say, HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS !! One of the few things that I enjoy is getting a new firearm (pistols mostly),and at my age, 72, what the heck, why not enjoy myself. As long as I have money, I might as well spent it, because if I DON'T someone else will just blow it. When I die they can sell the firearms, which are worth more than money in a bank. Then they will think that I wasn't as nuts as they suspected !!
    AKsrule and Philly Boy like this.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

I would like having the option. Right now i have a Kimber 4" .45, and a g27. The glock stays in my center console in my edr(every day ride) while the .45 rides on my hip at 4:00. Looking to trade the 27 for a 29sf and pick up another single stack 9, Sig p238, or something really small for pocket carry or deep concealment. My .45 prints under a t-shirt in summer.
    Different calibers is the spice of life. In winter when bg's are wearing layers, I'd feel more comfortable packing a 10 than I would a 9 or .45 for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    All but one. Something in me just wanted to keep things simple. I love the gun I kept (Glock 26), it shoots like a full size gun and conceals great. I started this at first because I wanted to just buy one caliber of ammo. I thought this process would take a while. I sold 3 in 2 weeks. I already sold a couple earlier in the year. I put one up for sale and wam, it sold that day. Same for the other 2. I really thought this process would take several months. So here I sit with only one handgun. It feels good to not have to choose what to carry. Although I feel kind of naked. I have a big wad of cash in my empty gun safe, so if I have withdrawals I can run out and buy a new gun.

Anyone else consider this?
    I can see the wisdom of this - I'm always switching Carrys. I'd have 2 though if I did the same. Same gun at the range all the time I get bored. Well, 3: I have a Colt Python, going up in value absurdly. So have to keep that one + the 2 others.

Wait, a second, that Colt Repro WWI 1911 is my only 1911, so I guess it's 4. And So It Goes.................

VIP Member
    Notice how all of us gun addicts are telling you how you got it all wrong?

Seriously, good for you, there is something said for keeping it simple. Let us know how it works out in the long run.

I did the same thing with my hunting guns last year and have not regretted the decision. Are there temptations, sure, but what I have I use, and what I use works.

JMOfartO:

Well, I'd say there's a philosophical difference in the way you and I think about "selling all of my guns" (but one)..

I never sell a gun I have, UNLESS I'm not 100% satisfied with it, UNLESS I have to "sell something" to buy "something" else..

Recently for example, I sold my remaining HK P7 to help finance a Boberg XR9S. I enjoyed the HK P7, but for a concealed carry choice it's not perfect. It IS one of the most accurate pistols I've ever owned, but accuracy alone is not my only requirement in a firearm I wish to carry concealed for self defense.

My favorite guns are 9MM compact (sub-compact) pistols. I still have a 3rd Gen Smith & Wesson 3913, 3913LS, 6906, and Ruger LC9...

But my attitude about selling guns is just MY attitude.. Nothing wrong with yours..

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    At first I did not plan on only 1 handgun, I was going to get a full size 9mm after selling all my handguns ( which were all compact or mouseguns) Then I saw how accurate the 26 was and thought I did not need a full size. I see the point about needing another gun in case of a broken gun, but at that point I could always buy a new gun that day. I'm going to see how long I last with just the Glock. I think I want to master 1 gun rather than be proficient with many.

why wait until that inevitable day? My suggestion would be to take a small amount of that cash you stuck in the safe and buy another G26 (since you tend to favor it as the one to concentrate on), run 200-300 rounds through it, wipe it off and put it in the safe. You can still pretend you only have one handgun

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I have decided to only keep my 9mm Glocks. I have the 17/19/26 and every time I try to decide to buy another gun, I can't think why? I do want a 1911 though but I can't drop the cash on one just yet.

As far as calibers go, I like the idea of stocking only 9mm. The same reason I also chose the Glock platform. Simplicity of parts and ease of maintenance. I can stock parts for my 9mm Glocks and they are for the most part interchangeable. Magazines are as well. I would recommend getting a Glock 17 or 19 if you can. At least you will have more options if need be.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I have mentioned before,in the mid 1990's, broke after the second marriage,sold all mine. Never again. I will pick up cans on the road before I sell even one.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

VIP Member
    I love guns too much to just have one. I would not consider owning one gun a positive thing. I would consider that being totally poor and destitute before I ever got down to one gun. I can only have one wife, but several guns.......
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have a solution to you...

Own one style of gun - just buy 8 of them, like I did

TN_Mike and ctr like this.

Have you ever seen a 17 with a 26 grip reduction? I am tempted to try this.
    Gen 1 G17, Gen 3 G23, Gen 4 G26, 870P, MkIII 678, 10/22 Carbine

i was under the impression in MA you can only sell 4 guns a year without an ffl (says it on the states website). I wonder because ive already sold three and have two more i want to sell just havent posted them up because of it

I see how it would be easy to make up your mind about what to carry. But I like having choices. My guns each have a role; 23 - duty, 27 - BUG, any of my Glocks - off-duty carry, 20SF BUG while hunting etc...

Do what works for you, but I have a feeling that you will be filling that safe soon.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

All but one. Something in me just wanted to keep things simple. I love the gun I kept (Glock 26), it shoots like a full size gun and conceals great. I started this at first because I wanted to just buy one caliber of ammo. I thought this process would take a while. I sold 3 in 2 weeks. I already sold a couple earlier in the year. I put one up for sale and wam, it sold that day. Same for the other 2. I really thought this process would take several months. So here I sit with only one handgun. It feels good to not have to choose what to carry. Although I feel kind of naked. I have a big wad of cash in my empty gun safe, so if I have withdrawals I can run out and buy a new gun.

Anyone else consider this?
    So, just one question for you, what will you do in the event you either have to send the 26 in for service, have to defend yourself with it and it is taken to police lockup as evidence, or it is stolen somehow? What will you carry or use for personal/family defense then? This is one of the main reasons I have more than one carry gun.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links