Springfield EMP after 350 rounds and a couple of modifications.

This is a discussion on Springfield EMP after 350 rounds and a couple of modifications. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a Springfield EMP in 9mm. For my first shooting session, (after a basic field strip and lube) I shot 50 rounds of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Springfield EMP after 350 rounds and a couple of modifications.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar

I recently purchased a Springfield EMP in 9mm.
    For my first shooting session, (after a basic field strip and lube) I shot 50 rounds of Federal 124gr FMJ and 50 rounds of Federal 147 9MS HP. No malfunctions occurred during the first 100 rounds, ejection of brass was a few feet to my right and primers displayed a sufficient impact.

After those first 100 rounds, I performed a couple of modifications to my EMP. First, I removed the internal lock mainspring housing and replaced it with a stainless non-IL MSH by Wilson Combat; I initially installed a standard 23# officersí spring in the MSH.
    The ambidextrous thumb safety was the next thing that had to go; I fitted the EMP with an Ed Brown stainless single side unit.

(Pistol is cleaned after each shooting session.)
    For my 2nd shooting session, I shot more of the Federal 9MS 147 HP and some Federal 124 HST. The Federal 147 gr. 9MS and 124 gr. Hydra-Shok are "catchy" when chambering the first round; the bullet nose has a tendency to want to catch on the feed ramp when I manually load the first round, no problem experienced with the pistol feeding subsequent rounds in the magazine. I noticed this catchiness in the first shooting session with the 147 gr HP. However, during the initial session I was loading only 8 rounds into the magazines. For session two, I loaded the magazine with 9 rounds and the bullet nose went down into the feed ramp when I initially tried to chamber the 1st round. (I load the 1st round by pulling the slide to the rear and letting it go; Iím not riding the slide.) I tried again and got the round chambered and fired only to be punished with a fail to feed on the 2nd round in that magazine; dang it , my first (and only, so far) malfunction with the EMP. I marked that magazine and continued shooting 73 more rounds without any additional malfunctions.

After session two, my EMP now had 175 rounds through it: 50 Federal FMJ, 100 Federal 9MS 147 gr, and 25 Federal 124 gr. HST.

Iím thinking that loading 9 rounds into the factory magazine may cause a feeding problem.

I do not like the extended magazine / oversize base plate of the factory magazines, so I sent the magazines to log man (1911 forum member) for his "essential" magazine modification (excellent work ) that results in a flush fitting magazine, capacity is reduced by one round down to eight.

I definitely wanted some ammunition with a more rounded profile, so I got some 115 gr. Federal 9BP standard velocity hollow point. This bullet does have a more rounded profile than others and comes in 50 round boxes, which I also prefer.
    Shooting session #3 was with the log man modified magazines and 100 rounds of Federal 9BP; the Federal 9BP HP did not exhibit the catchiness of the other Federal loads. I also shot another 25 rounds of 124 gr. Hydra-Shok for comparison.

After session #3, I had put a total of 300 rounds through the EMP. I was satisfied with the Federal 9BP hollow point in feeding and primer indention, but I had not kept the pistol in condition one; I suspected that the primer impact might be reduced some if the mainspring was kept under tension for an extended time. I decided an extra power 25# mainspring was the answer to my long term carry needs. I also needed to move the rear sight a little bit so that bullet impact would match perfectly with my POA. The rear sight was not easy to move, but after enough persuasion it finally moved.

I installed an extra power 25# mainspring and left the pistol cocked for 5 days.

Today was shooting session #4 and it was very satisfying. I shot another 50 rounds of the Federal without malfunction, shots now hitting POA. The 25# mainspring delivered positive primer impacts on the Federal 9BP ammunition after the spring was kept compressed for 5 days.

I shot a few rounds of Winchester Ranger T 124 +P (Springfield advises against +P in the EMP) and not only was recoil noticeably greater, the primers (obviously, Iím picky about this) displayed evidence of increased pressure and a light impact compared to (all) the Federal loads.

After 350 rounds, Iím ready to carry this EMP. Its shot 250 continuous rounds without malfunction and the last 150 were with the Federal 9BP, my selected carry ammo. Recoil with the standard pressure ammunition is light allowing for quick & accurate follow up shots. Iíve previously owned 3íí lightweight 1911s in 45 acp and did not consider them pleasant to shoot, like this pistol. This compact lightweight 1911 9mm will be great for IWB appendix carry in a kydex clip on holster, for times when I donít want to (or canít) easily carry my full size 1911 (in 45 acp) strong side IWB.

I chronographed all of the loads I tried, average for 5 shots:
    Federal 115 gr. 9BP @ 1,053 fps / 283# KE / PF 121
    Federal 124 gr. HST @ 994 fps / 272# KE / PF 123
    Federal 147 gr. 9MS @ 921 fps / 276# KE / PF 135
    Winchester Ranger T 124 gr. +P @ 1,195 fps / 393# KE / PF 148

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Tn Mitch likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Mine also hates 147 HP's of any kind, especially Federal. It has never liked them. It will shoot everything else just fine. It will handle 124 gr HP's, CD, etc. all just fine. So, I just don't use 147 gr HP's in my EMP. I think it's a design conflict between the ramp of the EMP and the design of 147 gr HP's.

Springfield advises against +P in the EMP
    After a LOT of discussion with Springfield on some different firearms and +P or + P+ ammo thru them, it came down to this .... their concern is whether the ammo will cycle the slide on a 4" barrel EMP too quickly to allow the next round to load properly. That's it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Mine also hates 147 HP's of any kind, especially Federal. It has never liked them. It will shoot everything else just fine. It will handle 124 gr HP's, CD, etc. all just fine. So, I just don't use 147 gr HP's in my EMP. I think it's a design conflict between the ramp of the EMP and the design of 147 gr HP's.

After a LOT of discussion with Springfield on some different firearms and +P or + P+ ammo thru them, it came down to this .... their concern is whether the ammo will cycle the slide on a 4" barrel EMP too quickly to allow the next round to load properly. That's it.
    Good information, thanks.
    I do not normally use 147 gr. ammo in 9mm.
    I had the 147 gr. loads because another 9mm pistol I own hits low and the 147 gr. brought the POI closer to my POA, but still not close enough to suit me.
    I read somewhere that using +P would cause accelerated wear on locking lugs or aluminum frame, might have been on the 110 page (no kidding) EMP thread on 1911 forum.

VIP Member
    I just picked up a .40 yesterday. Shot 100 trouble free rounds of WWB and 40 rounds of Hornandy (wanted to use it up). I had no issues and I love this little 1911. I will do some more in-depth feedback and see if I have any findings as well. Which VZ grips are those? Oh and just a little tip, make the grip tape a little long and tuck it under the grips. It looks perfect and lasts longer.
    Tn Mitch likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I just picked up a .40 yesterday. Shot 100 trouble free rounds of WWB and 40 rounds of Hornandy (wanted to use it up). I had no issues and I love this little 1911. I will do some more in-depth feedback and see if I have any findings as well. Which VZ grips are those? Oh and just a little tip, make the grip tape a little long and tuck it under the grips. It looks perfect and lasts longer.
    The grips came on the pistol.
    How was the recoil in 40?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    The grips came on the pistol.
    How was the recoil in 40?
    The recoil is not bad at all because the frame is steel. It's a little beefier then the 9mm and I kind of like that because I can tinker with what type of rounds I put in her. You do get a little more weight though.

Hey C hawk Glock, FYI I too have a 9mm EMP, and a few months ago emailed SA Custom Shop, and asked them if I were to purchase the .40S&W EMP version would they be able to do a .357Sig conversion barrel and the person that replied back to me said that they could, but did not say the cost I would like to try this sometime. God Bless

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Hey C hawk Glock, FYI I too have a 9mm EMP, and a few months ago emailed SA Custom Shop, and asked them if I were to purchase the .40S&W EMP version would they be able to do a .357Sig conversion barrel and the person that replied back to me said that they could, but did not say the cost I would like to try this sometime. God Bless
    I would think it could handle .357 sig, that barrel is a beast! It's the first thing I noticed when I got the gun. Any tips for take down without that little plastic piece?

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I was satisfied with the Federal 9BP hollow point in feeding and primer indention, but I had not kept the pistol in condition one; I suspected that the primer impact might be reduced some if the mainspring was kept under tension for an extended time. I decided an extra power 25# mainspring was the answer to my long term carry needs
    I was under the impression that springs become weak as a result of cycling (compressing and decompressing), not from being held in a compressed position for a period of time. Am I wrong?

Edit: The flush magazines look real slick.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DistantHorizon View Post
    I was under the impression that springs become weak as a result of cycling (compressing and decompressing), not from being held in a compressed position for a period of time. Am I wrong?

You are correct in theory, but some folks swear by keeping a spring compressed.

Any tips for take down without that little plastic piece?

Unfortunelty no tips, as I believe it is needed for take down, but you can buy a nicer metal version. My EMP came with 2 of the plastic ones and they get lost easily. God Bless

1911UltraTool.com

Quote Originally Posted by DistantHorizon View Post

Thanks, I wouldn't have initially bought the pistol if I had not seen that flush magazines could be had; in the appendix carry position that little extra unneeded length sticking out of the frame is a hinderance to concealment, for me.

I know this, I can take a new magazine, load it to capacity, leave it for a few months, and it will not have the same tension as a new never loaded magazine even though it was never shot; I'm not saying it won't work, just that tension was lost due to being kept under compression.

Same thing with a mainspring, install new mainspring and leave condition one for a couple months, discharge pistol and recover case, now install new mainspring and discharge again with same ammo as before, chances are that you will be able to see the difference in impact; that difference is due to one spring being kept under compression.

I'm going to do some shooting this weekend with regular Winchester "white box" ammunition and check to see if primer impact is sufficient. If it displays a light strike, I'll reinstall the original mainspring components and check primer impact again; if the strike is sufficient on Winchester ammunition with the original mainspring components, then I'll not worry about it, reinstall the non-IL mainspring and live with federal ammunition (which sports softer primers). However, if the impact is light (with factory components) then I'll give SA a call on Monday. I've not shot the pistol with anything other than Federal ammunition so far and it might be a good idea to make sure that it would be able to shoot different brands (with harder primers) if needed.

If I do return the EMP to it's mothership for any reason, I'll have a EMP 40 in a few days to take it's place. Yes, I like the EMP that much.

Very interesting post. This is something not often thought about, but it's good food for thought. Thanks for the post. I have an EMP 9mm, and I love it!
    "If an awalu [freeman] should blind the eye of another awalu [freeman], they shall blind his eye"
    -Hammurabi (1792-1750 B.C.E.)

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    .357 Sig would be awesome in the EMP. I think Springfield cut the barrel too short... I feel more comfortable with 9mm from a 3.5" barrel. Plus, aesthetically a barrel longer than 3.5" looks more balanced... the 3" guns to me look like the barrel/slide is out of proportion to the grip.
    Hakkaa pššlle!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    .357 Sig would be awesome in the EMP. I think Springfield cut the barrel too short... I feel more comfortable with 9mm from a 3.5" barrel. Plus, aesthetically a barrel longer than 3.5" looks more balanced... the 3" guns to me look like the barrel/slide is out of proportion to the grip.
    Sam,

That would not be an enhanced micro pistol now would it? This is the reason why I got the .40 cal, plenty of zip out of that 3 inch barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links