Just an off the wall carry idea

This is a discussion on Just an off the wall carry idea within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all i have just ordered a set or ruger vaqueros in 45 colt and was thinking about using them in a limited role for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Just an off the wall carry idea

Hi all i have just ordered a set or ruger vaqueros in 45 colt and was thinking about using them in a limited role for cc in the winter. I learn ed to shoot with single actions so not to worried about my ability with them. I figure I am going to have to have custom holsters made. My questions are has anyone carried a pair of revolvers for cc and what do yall think of the idea?

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1945cj2a View Post
    Hi all i have just ordered a set or ruger vaqueros in 45 colt and was thinking about using them in a limited role for cc in the winter. I learn ed to shoot with single actions so not to worried about my ability with them. I figure I am going to have to have custom holsters made. My questions are has anyone carried a pair of revolvers for cc and what do yall think of the idea?
    Yipee Yi Yoh. Ride 'em cowboy.
    Philly Boy and Capitain_R like this.

Cowboy I guess so I grew up on a ranch in nevada always had a passion for these style guns. As a side not one of my edc weapons is a super single six and i will practice with them a great del before I decide for sure.

JD
    Administrator
    Personally I think the idea is less than ideal, but that's your call to make.

For some reason I picture Josey Wales standing on the boardwalk outside the general store facing the Union soldiers and saying "Well, you going to pull them pistols or whistle Dixie?".

Just kidding 1945cj2c, other than the bulk and weight, why not? If you can conceal them, use them well and with confidence, go for it.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

Move to Colorado and just open carry those suckers.

Practice makes perfect, so practice a lot.

If my memory serves me right, I believe TOM MIX did.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    Sounds like a PIA to me, but if that what floats your boat, go for it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, the .45lc round has certainly gotten the job done. But I think generally there are better, more modern options available (but I carry a 1911, a design which is only 38 years younger than the SAA).

My general thought on the subject is this, if you compete with the guns, in SASS, or cowboy mounted or something, it could be a viable option. Then you would be quite familiar with working them under stress, and know their limitations. If they usually just collect dust in your safe and get shot once a year, it probably is not a viable option.

But, that is just my opinion, and you can do whatever floats your boat.
    JD likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

sureshot1: Are you forgetting Roy, Gene and Hopalong???
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Thats why I love the USA..........
    No damn man kills me and lives.
    Nathan Bedford Forrest

VIP Member
    You must have long coats dude!
    Rock and Glock and JerryMac like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Let me know when you find speed loaders for them. That's what keeps me from carrying mine!
    BkCo1 and JerryMac like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

resqr9142: I should have seen the Josey comment coming my father said pretty much the sme thing.

Buckeye .45: I dont think i've ever owned a gun that collects dust and my monthly ammo bill can atest to that.

high pockets: they do make speedloaders for them all you have to do is carry spare cylinders in an extra pouch.

thanks for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by 1945cj2a View Post
    My questions are has anyone carried a pair of revolvers for cc and what do yall think of the idea?
    I have carried 2 revolvers at once, but they were modern S&W snubbies rather than single action Peacemaker types. I have carried a model 66 snubby in .357 in a belt holster, with a J frame airweight .38 in a pocket holster on the opposite side. The .38 functioned as a backup to the larger .357. Since they were both double action, I didn't have to thumb cock them for firing.

The .45 Colt caliber in your single action guns will certainly get the job done, and the sound of the gun being cocked will definitely get the attention of somebody attacking you, perhaps causing them to reconsider their action. If you have practiced and are skillful with your guns I'm sure you can perform well with the single action revolvers. My only objection would be the large size of most single actions, making concealment difficult. They seem well suited to open carry, however.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links