p228: What to expect?

This is a discussion on p228: What to expect? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, Sig-o-philes. I just got the high bid on a '91 model p228. Gun with night sights, Hogue grips (no finger grooves) and 1 factory ...

Thread: p228: What to expect?

OK, Sig-o-philes. I just got the high bid on a '91 model p228. Gun with night sights, Hogue grips (no finger grooves) and 1 factory standard capacity mag. Gun has supposedly been shot some with some holster wear. Night sights "have some life left in them." The whole thing should be just under 5 bones with shipping, insurance, transfer, etc. added in. What should I expect? What should I inspect? I've heard frame rails are big.

I have short fingers, so I am planning on putting in an SRT. Is this something a regular Joe can do? Is there anything I need besides the trigger itself?

Are the Hogues better/worse than the factory grips?

Thanks. I have toyed with getting a Sig for a while, but I couldn't talk myself into it with the trigger reach. I figured I'd try the SRT. I should be able to get my money out of it if I decide to sell.

Hope to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,
    Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

I'd expect to not have to do a thing beyond basic maintenance - maybe just replace the springs. These are tough, reliable guns.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

SRT is a short reset. It must be done by Sig or another smith. Your thinking of a short trigger perhaps.

Check the frame rails for wear, a little silver showing is normal.

Pull one of the grips off and make sure no rubber is touching the mainspring, its been known to happen.

20 rd Sig mags will fit if you can find em.

Other than that enjoy one of the finest 9's made.

Thanks, greyeyezz. I DID think SRT was the short trigger.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

P228 was my first handgun, and I still own it. It's one of the best 9mm's ever made in my opinion. I find it a little too thick to carry concealed, but a great gun. Completely reliable, and extremely accurate.

Administrator
    Expect wholesome goodness, it's the one if the staples of the wonder nines.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I was lucky to find one in new old stock at a gun show with an LGS there selling. It has NS and I won some Higue grips here from another member, that I havent installed.

Lets just say if my Glock 23 wasnt my duty weapon my 228 would be the only thing I carried 90% of the time. It is a great shooter. 13+1 of 9mm in a decent sized package and just a great overall gun. You wont be disappointed. The best thing is besides some very discerning nine fans the 228 is a little secret to most, because they werent imported after the 229 started being made except for the recent new run SIG had out in recent years but was not the same gun IMO.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Moderator
    One could do much worse.

I like the Hogues better, several of my Sigs have them. Thats just a matter of personal preference though.

Unless you are intimatley familiar with Sigs and have the tools to break them down to parade rest, I would'nt mess with it.I've taken them completely apart and there are a few tricks to getting them back together.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The P228 is one of the best 9mm's out there! I love mine, its my main EDC.

Shot at 2011-10-17

Shot at 2011-10-17
    United States Air Force Security Forces Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran, now a college student.

Links