1911 Hammer Drop Question....(safety) - Page 2

1911 Hammer Drop Question....(safety)

This is a discussion on 1911 Hammer Drop Question....(safety) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1911's are meant to be carried cocked and locked. It's very simple. It's very safe....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 1911 Hammer Drop Question....(safety)

1911's are meant to be carried cocked and locked. It's very simple. It's very safe.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

It bothers me that people fail to take the time to learn about and understand the guns which they choose to carry, and fail to carry them in the manner in which they were designed to be carried! Just sayin, not meaning to flame anyone.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I didn't think you could put the safety on with the hammer lowered on a 1911? Or at least not on mine I can't....

How much time is he going to be wasting pulling the hammer back when instead he should just be flicking the safety off and pulling the trigger, rendering attacker useless.

Sent from Nates Droid X

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by N8rfastback View Post
    I didn't think you could put the safety on with the hammer lowered on a 1911?
    On a traditional 1911, you can't. At one point in the 1911s's history, lowering the hammer on a live round WAS NOT uncommon, it's the very reason John Moses Browning designed it with a LARGE WIDE SPUR hammer, which when completely pulled to the rear, also disengages the grip safety (to allowed the hammer to be lowered one handed), he didn't place the large spur hammer on the pistol for looks. If you look at the 1911s evolution, the hammers started getting smaller as the manual of arms slowly changed.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links