Ruger LC9 Broken Trigger

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 Broken Trigger within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am so disappointed! I took my LC9 to the range for the second time today. I do not even have 100 rounds through the ...

Thread: Ruger LC9 Broken Trigger

Ruger LC9 Broken Trigger

I am so disappointed! I took my LC9 to the range for the second time today. I do not even have 100 rounds through the gun and the trigger has broke. Once the round has chambered and you are ready to fire the trigger has no tension. It is like the spring has broke or disengaged. I guess I will call Ruger Monday and get the paper work to send it back to Ruger. Has anyone had this happen before to their weapon esp a Ruger?
    NRA Member
    XD 9 EDC
    Ruger LC9 with Crimson Laser BUG
    Marlin 30/30

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Very likely an inexpensive simple fix for a local qualified local "smith" in your area if you don't want to go through the hassle of shipping it back.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I bet the spring slipped off. Happened to me when I took the disconnect safety off. It is kind of a Mickey mouse setup.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Or you can just call Ruger CS and talk to them and have them e-mail you a shipping label so you to drop your pistol off at the nearest ups mail drop. That is if you can figure it out what may have happened your self.

VIP Member
    Guns break, just like anything else, even new. Send it back to Ruger to fix it. On the bright side, at least it happened during your break in of the gun, and not when you needed it for a defensive use.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I bet the spring slipped off. Happened to me when I took the disconnect safety off. It is kind of a Mickey mouse setup.
    - Are you talking about physically removing the safety or just switching it to OFF to fire?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Another reason not to mess with things.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You crack me up. I have never bought a weapon that I didn't completely field strip to understand the inner workings. The trigger spring that acuates the hammer is simply a looped arm that precariously hangs on a trigger bar. It honestly reminds me of the spring that is on the hinge of my sterilite trash can and allows the lid to automatically pop up when I actuate the push button. The trigger bar is thin and if put in place even a mm crooked will cause the spring to slip off and cause the issues you describe. It is a two minute fix at best and a basic skill set job. I would never ever carry a tool that I may have to rely my life on and not tear it apart and understand its function.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Are you talking about physically removing the safety or just switching it to OFF to fire?
    I removed the magazine disconnect safety. I did a detailed write up in this forum. Many have followed those instructions as well as a YouTube video that shows how to do it ( that I did not make) with great success. Some have had this issue with the trigger spring as well and fixed it within minutes. Search for threads started by me and you will find it.

Because I do mess with things. I am willing to bet either the spring broke ( which I find unlikely) or it slipped off the bar an needs to be reset under it and I would rather take the two minutes to fix it than wait three weeks for the factory to do the same thing.

Not had that happen but on round 69 the extractor blew off the gun.

VIP Member
    Ruger ought to see that gun. There might be something more going on here. Even if it is a two minute fix, would you bet your life on it?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I don't have the Ruger LC-9 but I do have the Kel-Tec P-11, and the same thing happened to me. Luckily for me it was an easy fix. Thanks to U--Tube. Search U-Tube and see if it has happened to any other LC-9 owners.
    Guns Have Only Two Enemies: Rust and Politicians.

Links