Kahr PM9 vs S&W 642

Kahr PM9 vs S&W 642

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 vs S&W 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Quick size up... Kahr PM9 comes in smaller in height, length and width (at the belly) and weighs in at 1 pound 3.8 ounces loaded. ...

Thread: Kahr PM9 vs S&W 642

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Kahr PM9 vs S&W 642

Quick size up...

Kahr PM9 comes in smaller in height, length and width (at the belly) and weighs in at 1 pound 3.8 ounces loaded.
    S&W 642 is thinner in the barrel, more rounded and weighs in at 1 pound .8 ounces loaded.

Keep in mind, the PM9 also holds 2 more rounds with the 6 round magazine, which comes to .9 ounces with the ammo I use.

I was really surprised at how little the weight difference came out to be since everyone raves about the J-Frame being a great pocket gun, but almost everyone says the PM9 is too big and heavy.

Maybe it's the smoother curves and narrow barrel of the 642 that makes it different, me personally - I can't tell much difference, however initial thoughts are that the 642 seems to be a bit more comfortable IWB and in my Smartcarry.

Definitely different strokes for different folks. I have the S&W 638 don't find it to be as comfortable as the PM9 IWB due to the cylinder.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I've never found the cylinder to be a problem with my S/W
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

VIP Member
    The 642 comes out of a front pocket better. The PM9/PM40 works in a back pocket better. If you have both, which one do you call BUG?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I have a 637. Its great IWB. I couldnt pocket carry either. Nothing bigger than a LCP can go in my pocket. I think the cylinder on the 642 and the ammo capacity would give the nod to the PM9.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Links