Proficiency with EDC

This is a discussion on Proficiency with EDC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been trading .45s a lot lately and have been shooting those more than my EDC for a while. Before I take off to FL, ...

Thread: Proficiency with EDC

Proficiency with EDC

I've been trading .45s a lot lately and have been shooting those more than my EDC for a while. Before I take off to FL, I wanted to go put some rounds through my XD40sc, just to have it fresh in my mind.

My father-in-law and I went down in the woods at his house yesterday and set up a piece of cardboard with five 3-inch circles drawn on it. From 25 feet my first magazine of nine 185gr .40s I put 7 rounds inside of a 2" group and the other 2 rounds were inside 3". All 9 rounds in the 3 inch ring, and this was double taps and rapid fire. The rest of the 50 rounds I put through it were about the same with only a couple of "flyers" out of the total 50 round count. This is after not shooting this particular gun for a couple months due to all of my swapping and shooting others a lot.

This is one reason why I always seem to go back to the XD40sc as my EDC regardless of the 15 other handguns that I own...no matter how long it has been, it seems I can pick it up cold and put shots dead on target quickly. Same holds true for my little S&W 442. These are my most carried handguns. The thought has crossed my mind that I could sell all of the others since these two really fill all of my carry needs...but I just can't bring myself to do it. I like variety, and it seems that out of the handful of handguns I've sold or traded, there's several I wish I had back.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Its like riding a bike..I own about 20 myself, I want to carry one at a time...So thats what I do. Like you, its the one that fits the bill. I have a full size weapon with the same manual of arms, so Im pretty well covered for training. To me consistency is key.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Needs versus wants. Variety is the spice of life, as the old saying goes.

Once the "needs" are fulfilled the "wants" can be indulged. I tend to think of it as ongoing firearm research, though. I am constantly looking for something that is better than what I currently use. Of course, confirming that what I use is still the best (for me) is part of the process. The fact that the testing and evaluating is just plain fun is simply a side benefit.

It's like what our mothers always told us about vegetables. How do you know you don't like it unless you try it?

At least, that is the rationalization that I use.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I love my SA XD40 SC as well, although I don't have a lot of other choices!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

"Research"...that's what I'll start referring to it as. I appreciate the way you put it. I currently have a new Glock 36 that I'm researching. After 100 rounds through it I still don't have quite the proficiency with it to be comfortable carrying it (shooting a couple inches left from 25 feet, which would suffice in SD situations though). I just haven't had time to do enough "research" with it yet. I like it quite a bit, so I'm going to put enough time into it. I guess I got spoiled with my XD40sc because from the first time I shot it I was dead on with it. The G36 is taking me a little while to get used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I love my SA XD40 SC as well, although I don't have a lot of other choices!
    Well, you don't need a lot of other choices. You've got the XD and a j-frame snub, you're covered. I have 16 and those two are my most carried by a long margin...and usually carry those two simultaneously. I did this weekend and even slept one night in a recliner with the XD IWB right side and my 442 at the 7 o'clock position in an OWB holster with left hand access. You know you're carry set-up is comfortable when you can sleep in it and not even notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Well, you don't need a lot of other choices. You've got the XD and a j-frame snub, you're covered. I have 16 and those two are my most carried by a long margin...and usually carry those two simultaneously. I did this weekend and even slept one night in a recliner with the XD IWB right side and my 442 at the 7 o'clock position in an OWB holster with left hand access. You know you're carry set-up is comfortable when you can sleep in it and not even notice it.
    I guess that is a comfortable carry rig! What kind of IWB holster do you use?
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    You know you're carry set-up is comfortable when you can sleep in it and not even notice it.
    Truth!

I did this on accident the other night as I was so exhausted I pretty much passed out in my jeans on my couch with my Glock 19 in a Crossbreed SuperTuck at the 4 O'Clock position. I didn't realize till I woke up that I had basically slept on the gun all night.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by RugerMike View Post
    I guess that is a comfortable carry rig! What kind of IWB holster do you use?
    Ironically it's the least expensive one I've got. It is a soft-sided nylon with reversible metal clip, I think it was made by Quest. My 442 was in a leather OWB holster at 7 o'clock position and I basically slept on top of it all night (grip points out towards left). I also had two mags in my left pocket and two speed strips in my right. Slept in the chair all night.

Links