Do you see value in standardizing your firearms? - Page 3

Do you see value in standardizing your firearms?

This is a discussion on Do you see value in standardizing your firearms? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can see some pluses to standardizing you guns, but I don't do it. I like variety in my life....

View Poll Results: Do you see a value in standardizing on a single brand of handgun?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 47.69%
  • No

34 52.31%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Do you see value in standardizing your firearms?

VIP Member
    I can see some pluses to standardizing you guns, but I don't do it. I like variety in my life.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I can understand the reasoning but for me guns are a pleasure and a hobby in addition to being simple tools for self defense. I like a variety.
    Agreed, and if I standardize then there are less opportunities (excuses) to buy new firearms.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I prefer standardization (SA XD9 platform) for most defensive reasons, but I do see the use in having different guns available, such as a snubby for a coat pocket or a LCP/Kahr 9mm for situations that require a bit more discretion, or a .357 or .44 revolver for woods carry. Different tools for different occasions.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I don't have a large number of guns and the handguns aren't standardized in any characteistic. Long guns seem to be a random assortment; a .22lr (Magtech, an "inexpensive" Brazilian import) and a .22WMR (Savage 640KS). The shotguns are all 20 gauge, by conscious choice: a New Haven (Mossberg) pump w/28" barrel, a Remingtion 1100 w/18" barrel, and a Savage Model 24 in 20 gauge and 30-30. I just didn't want to have multiple shotgun gauge ammunition choices. I only need to keep straight on the type of load in the shells.

The other thing I recently noticed that's "standardized" in the long guns is that they all have wood furniture, no plastic. Only the .22lr was bought brand new; the rest are older models in pretty good condition. I'll have to think about that next time I consider a purchase! I do like the wood over the plastic...
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

After reading all of the diverse opinions, I need to add my answer was with respect to my CHL hand guns:

Absolutely! As someone late to handguns at 50+, having a standard manual of arms simplified training, reduced the training curve, and allowed the leveraging of skills late acquired. I also standardized caliber for a number of years (9 mm).
    I still have some "others", but I would not change a carry weapon at this point. Can I operate others? Yes, but they would never be in a carry "rotation". It is fun to read others answers, especially when they have the experience and ability to rotate through many different platforms.

Can you jump from a car with an automatic transmission to one with a stick shift? I can, and I do it a few times a week.
    Yes, I can and do.

The difference is I have driven both sticks and automatics the last 40 plus years, whereas I did not begin shooting handguns that long ago.

dumbing down of one's capabilities
    Really? Right. Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson take different sets of clubs out every week just for the challenge?

If I had started shooting at age 10 or 12, and had owned several different platforms over the years, yea, muscle memory might not be that big of a deal.............

I don't think it's "dumbing down", but whatever.............

I have worked with the Internal Revenue Code, the Regulations thereunder, the Administrative Promulgations, the Court Cases and most of the 50 states' equivalents for 35 plus years. Would "simplification" or "standardization" be considered "dumbing down" by me?

Nope. It'd be a relief at this point.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; November 14th, 2011 at 11:40 AM.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I do see "value" in it as the question asks, however I think it depends how much time and effort you put into training with these different weapons platforms. If you train daily then
    sure you could switch between weapons however if you train monthly I would suggest sticking with the same basic platform.

Aside from Glocks, I like any quality handgun 9mm or 38 and above.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Buy and shoot what you like and you might find that standardization can occur just from preference rather than concerted effort. For me, through the processes of aquisition and elimination, I've ended up owning 1911s and S&W DA revolvers and very little else.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    That's like asking, "Do you still beat your wife?" Of course there is some sort of value in standardizing you rfirearms, just as there is some sort of value in not doing so. Some wish to have handguns all of one caliber; some wish to have many calibers. There's value in both.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I dont know if I would really call it standardization but all my weapons now have a constant trigger pull, either SAO or DAO. I just dont like the DA/SA transition.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Simply put ... If I need it, I want it, I like it, then I'll buy it. So If it's practical for me it's in my stable too.

I have several Kahrs, a Glock, a Ruger LCP for ultra concealment and several revolvers in .38 or .357. All calibers except the ruger are 9mm, .45 or .38/.357. I did this deliberately as I wanted all my weapons to be double-action/no safety, and I woke up one day and saw I had five or six different pistol calibers in my safe, so I thought it wise to consolidate.

I agree that one should be knowledegable on the major platforms (1911, DA/SA semis, etc.) but it makes sense to me that in the unfortunate event I have to draw my weapon in defense, I will be amped beyond belief and having the same essential movement operate all my pistols will be an advantage. I like to think I'm a cool customer who would remember to sweep the safey, but what if I'm not? Why bother to find out when you can remove the potential for the error, assuming you are comfortable with your trigger finger discipline? Of course, some folks train extensively and I respect that they might have superior capabilities to mine, but for me, it makes sense.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I can see some benefit to having similiar guns, such as the G17, 26, et. al., but I don't really think of standardizing when I look at the relative merits of a pistol. Most cases, for me, the differences in aesthitics and ergonomics are less meaningful than simply whether I like the gun and it has any usefulness for me.

The comments about multiple platforms are also pertinent; not being familiar with a feel and operation in your hand could be detriment to your good health in a bad situation. I'd bet you could also make an argument that different ergonomics are better on your hands, particularly nerve endings and the like. I know after a couple of hundred rounds in my PM9 my hand is happy to have the G17, the H&K or the Ruger to shoot for a while.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Parroting others, my opinion is standardize for self defense, and then enjoy variety for recreation.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

Ex Member
    I shoot/collect S&W pre lock wheel guns ONLY. It is easier to become a 'expert' knowledge wise with ONE model than the hundreds out there.
    WC145 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links