Why are there no 1911-style triggers on polymer guns?

This is a discussion on Why are there no 1911-style triggers on polymer guns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This has bugged me for a while. I can shoot a 1911 more accurately than any other pistol, and it's mainly because of the linear ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Why are there no 1911-style triggers on polymer guns?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

This has bugged me for a while. I can shoot a 1911 more accurately than any other pistol, and it's mainly because of the linear movement of the trigger. Conversely, that swinging action on most polymers causes a "low and to the left" effect until I get used to it. So what would be so difficult about making a polymer pistol with a 1911-style trigger?

Anyone have any insight on this?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    So I can blame my constant low/left shots on my triggers? Fabulous!

I did notice that I was far more accurate when shooting the one 1911 that I've handled.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

There are some on the Wilson Combat KZ models.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

A huge percentage of the handgun buying public has been convinced of the value of the DAO trigger. They have also been conditioned to dither about the safety on single-action trigger designs.
    Devilsclaw, OD* and sgb like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Have you tried shooting both one handed and on the move? How is the accuracy then? You are talking about a defensive tool and not a range gun right?

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    A huge percentage of the handgun buying public has been convinced of the value of the DAO trigger. They have also been conditioned to dither about the safety on single-action trigger designs.
    Except striker-fire pistol triggers aren't anything like traditional DAO triggers. The Glock has a 5.5 lb trigger pull, which is less than half the weight of nearly every traditional DA trigger pull. It also has a very short tactile (awesome) reset.
    Last edited by AZ Hawk; November 14th, 2011 at 04:56 AM.
    10thmtn likes this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    Look at the internal design of the 1911 and then look at the internal design of a Glock. The 1911 has a far more complex trigger system. The whole design concept of the Glock was simplicity so that it could be more easily maintained in the field.

Could the linear bar trigger be put in a polymer frame? Sure it could. But is it really the best way to go? I am not so sure. The 1911 was and still is a marvel of design and function, but then, so is the Glock.

I submit that both have merit and it is more important to have trained yourself in proper trigger control no matter which platform you use. A straight back, consistent pull will work on both platforms equally well.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Please don't tell my dad his polymer Kimber doesn't have a 1911 trigger. I don't believe these are currently in production but they are still out there -
    Polymer Models

BTW- Shooting low and to the left is often from anticipating the recoil. Perhaps the lighter weight and longer trigger pull on the polymer pistols you have been shooting makes you notice the recoil more than you do shooting a steel framed 1911.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Except striker-fire pistol triggers aren't anything like traditional DAO triggers. The Glock has a 5.5 lb trigger pull, which is less than half the weight of nearly every traditional DA trigger pull. It also has a very short tactile (awesome) reset.
    Dude, we all know you love Glock and I can respect that, but their triggers are not even in the same planet as a decent 1911. Take up, crisp break, reset; there is not one single category my Glocks compare with my 1911's with regards to triggers.
    bmcgilvray and Majorlk like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Dude, we all know you love Glock and I can respect that, but their triggers are not even in the same planet as a decent 1911. Take up, crisp break, reset; there is not one single category my Glocks compare with my 1911's with regards to triggers.
    I think someone is due for a name change...now who could that be???

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I think someone is due for a name change...now who could that be???
    JD,

Yeah I am tending to get more and more set in my ways the last year or two. Call it experience....
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I think that the original poster has a real good question.

I've got over a dozen pistols and none of them comes close to the two 1911's.

The patent expired so very long ago, you'd think somebody would have just transplanted the Browning design straight away.

I understand that the 1911, carried cocked and locked is out of many folks comfort zone, so I'm not surprised that no CCW guns have that sweet single action trigger, but in a full size, the only gun I'm aware of that even tries to imitate a 1911 is a single action only CZ 75b... and they are a rare bird.

I've got a SA/DA CZ 75b and the single action trigger is pretty good, but it's not in the same class as either of my low budget 1911's.

Kimber, Wilson, BUL, STI... all have made Poly double stack 1911s.

AFAIK, no single stack though.

Very True! Why, I don't know though.

The poly framed 1911's that have been put on the market, have never seemed to catch on either. My guess is that the folks in the market for a 1911, single action trigger, tend to be more "traditional" gun types, and for them, anything other than metal is typically not a hot seller.

Honestly, I have wondered the same thing though, seems like the weight reduction would be desirable. However, an alloy frame of a 1911 is pretty darned light without all the guts. Possibly even lighter than a plastic frame would be if they had to implant steel rails in one to give the needed strength.

As to the DAO mentallity, my guess there is the gun magazines, purpetrating the fact that many of these revolvers and autos were adopted by big city police departments a while back. Kinda the thinking, that if the police are doing it, it must be a "good" thing. Prior to this, it was much more common place to see the practice of cocking revolvers to single action when shooting them, in anything other than speed shooting events.

The "tacticool" instructors at CCH certification MADE my wife shoot her Ruger Security Six double action, because "that's the way you would use it". They couldn't do that with me since I had a Vaquero. I was still proud of the Mrs. as she still beat many of the men shooting single actions.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I belive this to be very accurate. I was always leary of SA. Until I started shooting them. They have more safeties than my Glock. Just that sheep see the cock and lock but don't see the safety,grip safety and trigger. The Glock is cocked but can't see the hammer. ***?? Sheep. But to me a 1911 is a work of art. Beautiful amchinery and plating. Grips ect.. Plastic nah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links