First Time Concealed Carry: Need help making my decision.

This is a discussion on First Time Concealed Carry: Need help making my decision. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MattInFla I'd suggest looking at the hybrid Kydex / leather holsters like the CompTac MTAC or Crossbreed Supertuck. Reasonably priced, versatile and ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: First Time Concealed Carry: Need help making my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    I'd suggest looking at the hybrid Kydex / leather holsters like the CompTac MTAC or Crossbreed Supertuck. Reasonably priced, versatile and comfortable.

Matt
    After doing some checking around I think the 19 is what I am going to settle with. I got lucky that our neighbor is a retired FBI agent and he graciously offered his time to me to train. I understand and put good gun ethics and safety into use, but I need to really dive into the law aspect to make sure that I understand every part before I purchase the weapons and begin to carry it.

Thanks Matt!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    True about accuracy vs power. Any ideas about a holster? I want something comfortable yet concealed (of course). And I'm willing to pay good money for the rig. Thank you all so much for your help. Its nice to have some senior guidance before I make this decision.
    If you've budgeted $100 for a holster (which you said earlier) then might I suggest buying two or three different holsters in the $30 to $50 range instead? That way you can try different styles such as inside the waistband, outside, etc, and see what works best for you.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    If you've budgeted $100 for a holster (which you said earlier) then might I suggest buying two or three different holsters in the $30 to $50 range instead? That way you can try different styles such as inside the waistband, outside, etc, and see what works best for you.
    Okay. I have honestly never even checked into concealment holsters, so I wasn't sure if I have budgeted too much or too little. I would like a waistband holster but outside. Don't wanna shove my gun in my pants (haha). Never been very comfortable with that idea.

I have really thought about this. Glock is definitely a good place to start. I'll check out the local shops. Considering I'm not quite ready to drop 1,000 on my dream colt just yet. Any other Glock suggestions? or is the 19 probably my best bet for a 9mm?
    The G26 is just the subcompact version of the Glock 9mm lineup, and is considerably easier to conceal than the G19 and you give up nothing as far as shootability. Either the G19 or G26 in 9mm is a very good place to start, and no one will ever look at you funny because you carry a Glock anything.

hmmmm.....Ugly they are........(if Yoda carried a gun, he would carry a Glock.)

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    The G26 is just the subcompact version of the Glock 9mm lineup, and is considerably easier to conceal than the G19 and you give up nothing as far as shootability. Either the G19 or G26 in 9mm is a very good place to start, and no one will ever look at you funny because you carry a Glock anything.

hmmmm.....Ugly they are........(if Yoda carried a gun, he would carry a Glock.)

I would hate to disappoint the Jedi Order but, I think I like the 19. Little big bigger - may give me more play in accuracy. From what I have seen of glocks I should still be able to conceal well. As far as price it also fits within my budget, but I dont have many gun stores nearby. What would the price used/new be? Or do you suggest to go new?

I would hate to disappoint the Jedi Order but, I think I like the 19. Little big bigger - may give me more play in accuracy. From what I have seen of glocks I should still be able to conceal well. As far as price it also fits within my budget, but I dont have many gun stores nearby. What would the price used/new be? Or do you suggest to go new?
    3rd Generation Glock 19's ususally go for $375-425 in good used condition. New will run between $475- 575 depending on your local gun store. I have four used Glocks that I purchased in like new condition. Gotta spend a little time shopping to find one in good condition. Also you can wheel and deal on a used gun. Offer less than the listed price and see if they will take it.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    3rd Generation Glock 19's ususally go for $375-425 in good used condition. New will run between $475- 575 depending on your local gun store. I have four used Glocks that I purchased in like new condition. Gotta spend a little time shopping to find one in good condition. Also you can wheel and deal on a used gun. Offer less than the listed price and see if they will take it.
    Thank you, it really helps to have some Glock insight! I can stick with the older 3rd generation and I shouldn't have any problems? Also would you suggest staying towards online gun listings/shops? (Promise that is the last question)

If it were me, I'd get the Gen 3 Glock 19 and stick it in a Crossbreed SuperTuck with a belt from "The Beltman."

(This actually my EDC setup. )

Besides, the Glock 19 is a beautiful gun!

Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    If it were me, I'd get the Glock 19 and stick it in a Crossbreed SuperTuck with a belt from "The Beltman."

(This actually my EDC setup. )

Besides, the Glock 19 is a beautiful gun!

Do you use a different ammunition for concealed carry? (and it is quite a beautiful gun - no argument there)

VIP Member
    I am an 18 year old college student with a love of guns and a desire to protect myself. I am from South Dakota and have grown up shooting just about anything. (This may get to sound like a dating advertisement, but I figure a little background is necessary). I have always loved to shoot pistol but never personally owned one. I have recently acquired my permit and am having a difficult time deciding on my choice of weapon to carry. I have always loved the Colt 1911 and the .45 caliber. Price is however a drawback. Money is tight but I want a quality firearm and rig with a decent power and yet affordable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    You may have a tough time finding an FFL who will sell to you as you are not 21. Your state license notwithstanding, this has been posted here somewhere, I snatched the text but can't relocate the URL.

Federal / State Firearms Regulations
    All Federal and State firearms regulations are available on the Bureau of Alcohol,
    Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) website ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives . The following
    information was taken directly from the publications available on this website and are
    intended to utilized as a guide and are not intended to be wholly inclusive of the entire
    Gun Control Act of 1968 or any state legislation. For more information regarding the
    entirety of all Federal and State firearms regulations please consult the information
    provided at the above website.
    Federal Regulations:
    You must be 21 years of age to purchase a handgun from a Federal Firearms
    Licensed dealer (FFL)

Also, from Frequently Asked Questions - Public - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

"Can I give a firearm to my adult child? Can he/she give it back to me later?

Yes, as long as the adult child receiving the firearm is not in a prohibited category PDF logo [PDF 10 kb / 1 pg] and the firearm is a legal firearm to possess, the transfer of a firearm between a parent and child or a grandparent and grandchild is exempt from the dealer transfer requirement. However, if the firearm is a handgun, you must submit a Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction PDF logo [PDF 481 kb / 2 pg] and $19 fee to the DOJ within 30 days. Assault weapons may not be transferred in this fashion. See Penal Code section 12285, subdivision (b)."

(PC section 12078(c))

I think you need to exercise some extreme caution in going about purchasing or obtaining your handgun of choice. IT sounds like you can't go to an FFL and may have some other hoops to jump through. Your parents or an older sibling can't go to an FFL and buy it for you---that could be construed as an illegal straw purchase.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Do you use a different ammunition for concealed carry? (and it is quite a beautiful gun - no argument there)
    I carry either Speer Gold Dots in 124 gr. +P or the Corbon DPX 115 gr. +P.

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

South Dakota state law mandates that 18 is the minimum age to carry concealed/posses a handgun. ;) As I stated earlier my neighbor is a retired FBI agent and his wife works at the sheriff's office. Or do you mean online purchasing?

South Dakota state law mandates that 18 is the minimum age to carry concealed/posses a handgun. ;) As I stated earlier my neighbor is a retired FBI agent and his wife works at the sheriff's office. Or do you mean online purchasing?
    Because you are under 21 y.o., you cannot buy a handgun legally from any FFL, whether it be online or in your state. The only way for you to purchase a handgun at 18 y.o. is to buy it from a private party or a non-FFL dealer (if those exist). Not sure if your mom could walk into a gun shop, buy a gun and then turn around and sell it to you....that might be teetering on an illegal transaction (not sure though).

VIP Member
    I meant you can't go into a gun store and buy a handgun till you are 21.

I also meant to convey that other means of obtaining one are tricky and could have legal issues associated with them. It may seem common sense that your parents can buy it for you and give it to you as a gift. But go back and read what I posted; it ain't that simple. And it looks like there is paper work and a fee.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I meant you can't go into a gun store and buy a handgun till you are 21.

I also meant to convey that other means of obtaining one are tricky and could have legal issues associated with them. It may seem common sense that your parents can buy it for you and give it to you as a gift. But go back and read what I posted; it ain't that simple. And it looks like there is paper work and a fee.
    I was curious about this as well.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links