First Time Concealed Carry: Need help making my decision. - Page 3

First Time Concealed Carry: Need help making my decision.

This is a discussion on First Time Concealed Carry: Need help making my decision. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would highly recommend the Crossbreed supertuck holsters. I have three, which I carry a glock 19, a Glock 36, and a S&W Bodyguard 380. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: First Time Concealed Carry: Need help making my decision.

I would highly recommend the Crossbreed supertuck holsters. I have three, which I carry a glock 19, a Glock 36, and a S&W Bodyguard 380. Not all at the same time of course. I also agree that the Glock 19 is a very good first gun. If you like the .45 ACP, the Glock 36 is also a very good gun. Good luck in what ever gun you choose. It is your choice, and it must be right for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I meant you can't go into a gun store and buy a handgun till you are 21.

I also meant to convey that other means of obtaining one are tricky and could have legal issues associated with them. It may seem common sense that your parents can buy it for you and give it to you as a gift. But go back and read what I posted; it ain't that simple. And it looks like there is paper work and a fee.
    Hmm, I wasn't quite sure what you were saying until now. Worst comes to worst I can have an adult purchase it and give it to me. Then I could register it to my name. Because the permit itself is legally obtained at 18.

I will do some checking with t he local sheriff's office before I go to actually try to purchase. Sounds like you can purchase form a private party. So it seems like I could have my grandmother go in and purchase the weapon with my money and give it to me.

Don't believe South Dakota has gun registration...

Recommend seeking a private face-to-face sale...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

It's kinda dumb that we can send you to war at 18, but you can't legally purchase a handgun through an FFL. Makes perfect sense eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Nilloc View Post
    It's kinda dumb that we can send you to war at 18, but you can't legally purchase a handgun through an FFL. Makes perfect sense eh?
    I agree. Huge gun right fan and its just not right.

Nonetheless I can have the permit and acquire the gun whether I have to have a 21 year old buy it then give the gun to me and register it to me, or not. I will still find a way. I believe that we all have the right to protect ourselves. Maybe I can find a forum thread that deals more specifically with legislation of South Dakota and handgun ownership.

Pruitt, I'm a lot older than you but like you I just started down this path. I purchased a Gen 4 G19 and have no regrets. I did get one with Glock night sights. Good luck on your journey. I've learned so much from the members on DC.

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    Hmm, I wasn't quite sure what you were saying until now. Worst comes to worst I can have an adult purchase it and give it to me. Then I could register it to my name. Because the permit itself is legally obtained at 18.
    Go back and re-read what I posted because that isn't exactly what I wrote. In fact I wrote that doing what you proposed might (note the uncertainty in the word "might") be construed as an illegal straw purchase.

Please do yourself a huge favor and scour diligently the ATF website and do a whole bunch of Google searching and reading before you decide how to proceed. Too many pitfalls to messing this up by mistake.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Go back and re-read what I posted because that isn't exactly what I wrote. In fact I wrote that doing what you proposed might (note the uncertainty in the word "might" be construed as an illegal straw purchase.

Please do yourself a huge favor and scour diligently the ATF website and do a whole bunch of Google searching and reading before you decide how to proceed. Too many pitfalls to messing this up by mistake.
    I will definitely check this out and head down to the Sheriff's office to ask a few Q and A's.

VIP Member
    Nonetheless I can have the permit and acquire the gun whether I have to have a 21 year old buy it then give the gun to me and register it to me, or not. I will still find a way. I believe that we all have the right to protect ourselves. Maybe I can find a forum thread that deals more specifically with legislation of South Dakota and handgun ownership.
    The transfer of a handgun is controlled by Federal laws and regulations. Personally, I wouldn't make this purchase till you are 21 for the sake of not inadvertently breaking some obscure law or requirement.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

The transfer of a handgun is controlled by Federal laws and regulations. Personally, I wouldn't make this purchase till you are 21 for the sake of not inadvertently breaking some obscure law or requirement.
    I will not make any purchases without taking the correct precautions to protect myself. I am going to go down to the Sheriff's Office as soon as I have some free time and ask. Surely they will be able to confirm/deny the legality of obtaining a handgun in my area. If it turns out that the only legal way to obtain a gun is waiting till I am 21 - then I will. It is not worth risking any future gun rights.

I will not make any purchases without taking the correct precautions to protect myself. I am going to go down to the Sheriff's Office as soon as I have some free time and ask. Surely they will be able to confirm/deny the legality of obtaining a handgun in my area. If it turns out that the only legal way to obtain a gun is waiting till I am 21 - then I will. It is not worth risking any future gun rights.
    If I were you I'd just call ATF, and see if you can get someone there to answer your questions. You'll probably have to be quite persistent, but they "should" know better than anyone else.

Then again, ATF is responsible for "Operation: Fast and Furious," so who the hell knows...?
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Yea, I really don't want to take chances. Ill take my chances with the Office and ATF. Ill have to ask about private sales and the legality - etc. This may be a long process trying to get this set up but I think it will be worth it. I'll keep the forum post updated once I do make my calls. It will be some nice knowledge to have and hopefully it will help others too.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    If I were you I'd just call ATF, and see if you can get someone there to answer your questions. You'll probably have to be quite persistent, but they "should" know better than anyone else.

Then again, ATF is responsible for "Operation: Fast and Furious," so who the hell knows...?
    AZ-- IMO, the real problem is the part I put in bold. Its sort of like calling IRS for instructions, and then when you do it wrong you are still held accountable even if they gave you wrong information.

Not to be excessively cynical, personal legal safety and ultra caution would suggest the wise course being to wait till 21. Then get something purchased or transferred through an FFL That limits the possibility of some major accidental legal screw up.

This, "so who the hell knows" stuff is the problem.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links