First Time Concealed Carry: Need help making my decision. - Page 4

First Time Concealed Carry: Need help making my decision.

This is a discussion on First Time Concealed Carry: Need help making my decision. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pruitt Yea, I really don't want to take chances. Ill take my chances with the Office and ATF. Ill have to ask ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 64
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: First Time Concealed Carry: Need help making my decision.

  1. #46
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    Yea, I really don't want to take chances. Ill take my chances with the Office and ATF. Ill have to ask about private sales and the legality - etc. This may be a long process trying to get this set up but I think it will be worth it. I'll keep the forum post updated once I do make my calls. It will be some nice knowledge to have and hopefully it will help others too.
    I recommend you use the function here....you aren't he first person to ask these questions. Be aware that if you ask the sheriffs office, you're more likely to get an opinion versus fact. If you are confused on the law as it reads, do more reading. If still confused, consult an attorney...LEOs are not experts on gun laws, and are not obligated to give you correct information...in such that their interpretation may not be to correct one. More reading, less posting.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

    martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know


  2. #47
    Ex Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere out there.
    Posts
    1,312
    I would recommend a Glock 19 with some sort of kydex holster and magazine pouch. You also will need a good belt.

    The 9mm is going to be easier to shoot for most people and you can shoot more as it is a cheaper round to shoot.

  3. #48
    Senior Member
    Array Philly Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio.
    Posts
    1,128
    If money is a real concern, you can't go wrong with a Bersa .380. They are inexpensive , will conceal well and be very reliable. I wouldn't hesitate buying one after having had three before I went to 9mm.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

    " The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

  4. #49
    Member Array Pruitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    If money is a real concern, you can't go wrong with a Bersa .380. They are inexpensive , will conceal well and be very reliable. I wouldn't hesitate buying one after having had three before I went to 9mm.
    Is the ammunition hard to come by?

  5. #50
    Senior Member Array AZ Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Valley of the Sun, AZ
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    Is the ammunition hard to come by?
    No.

    However, I can't recommend a .380 ACP as a primary. Sure, shot placement is king, but penetration is the crown prince, and .380 JHPs don't really cut it.

    If price is that big of an issue, I suggest looking for a used Gen 3 Glock 19.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

    “The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

  6. #51
    Member Array Pruitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    No.

    However, I can't recommend a .380 ACP as a primary. Sure, shot placement is king, but penetration is the crown prince, and .380 JHPs don't really cut it.

    If price is that big of an issue, I suggest looking for a used Gen 3 Glock 19.
    Well I was already pretty sold on the Glock 19. Size is perfect. Large enough for me to feel comfortable to shoot, yet small enough to conceal. Also the price is right. I will start gathering other handguns but not for carry use.

  7. #52
    Member Array Pruitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    32
    Any good classified websites to search for used glocks?

  8. #53
    Ex Member Array azchevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oceanfront Property
    Posts
    3,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    True about accuracy vs power. Any ideas about a holster? I want something comfortable yet concealed (of course). And I'm willing to pay good money for the rig. Thank you all so much for your help. Its nice to have some senior guidance before I make this decision.
    there are a few holster makes on this site that could accommodate you....

    and a whole sub-forum of info to peruse through:

    Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options

  9. #54
    Ex Member Array azchevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oceanfront Property
    Posts
    3,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    Any good classified websites to search for used glocks?
    Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.

    best out there as far as price

  10. #55
    Ex Member Array Acecool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Private
    Posts
    195
    Check your state laws! Having someone purchase the handgun for you, then give it to you could be considered a straw purchase.

  11. #56
    Member Array Pruitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Acecool View Post
    Check your state laws! Having someone purchase the handgun for you, then give it to you could be considered a straw purchase.
    My goodness. We have discussed this multiple times, haha. I am not making a purchase before I contact the Sheriff's Department. Just trying to look around till I can get to it. Not trying to be rude at all. I just keep stressing that I will not break the law.

  12. #57
    Senior Member Array Warmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Posts
    608
    It appears that in South Dakota, a person 18 or older can own a pistol and also get a ccw permit. Buying a handgun to give as a gift is not a straw purchase unless the person buying it knows of facts that would prevent the recipient of legally owning a firearm - convicted felon. mentally ill, violent behavior, etc. People do this all the time. At 18, you can't buy a pistol in SD from a dealer unless it was manufactured there - in which case the firearm is exempt from fed law. Basically it is as already stated, private in state sale or as a gift.

    BTW, don't ask the ATF squat. There are even errors in their FAQ's on their website.

    NRA-ILA :: Age Restrictions On The Purchase And Possession Of Firearms

    Legal Community Against Violence - South Dakota
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

  13. #58
    Member Array Pruitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmon View Post
    It appears that in South Dakota, a person 18 or older can own a pistol and also get a ccw permit. Buying a handgun to give as a gift is not a straw purchase unless the person buying it knows of facts that would prevent the recipient of legally owning a firearm - convicted felon. mentally ill, violent behavior, etc. People do this all the time. At 18, you can't buy a pistol in SD from a dealer unless it was manufactured there - in which case the firearm is exempt from fed law. Basically it is as already stated, private in state sale or as a gift.

    BTW, don't ask the ATF squat. There are even errors in their FAQ's on their website.

    NRA-ILA :: Age Restrictions On The Purchase And Possession Of Firearms

    Legal Community Against Violence - South Dakota
    Thank you a ton!! I kinda figured but its nice now to have some facts and websites to back it up!

  14. #59
    Senior Member Array AZ Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Valley of the Sun, AZ
    Posts
    1,018
    Pruitt - As far as holsters go, I absolutely love my Crossbreed SuperTuck. I can't recommend it highly enough.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

    “The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

  15. #60
    VIP Member
    Array C hawk Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    W. Washington
    Posts
    3,552
    Do yourself a favor and shoot a couple types of pistols. Glock is not for everybody.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

concealed carry for first time
,

crossbreed supertuck glock 19

,

crossbreed supertuck glock 30

,
edc with glock 19
,
first time conceal carry
,
first time concealed carry pistol
,
glock 19 crossbreed supertuck
,

glock 19 edc

,

glock funny

,
glock g26 9mm
,
mtac & a beltman
,
what's a used 3rd gen glock 19 worth
Click on a term to search for related topics.