First Time Concealed Carry: Need help making my decision.

This is a discussion on First Time Concealed Carry: Need help making my decision. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am an 18 year old college student with a love of guns and a desire to protect myself. I am from South Dakota and ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: First Time Concealed Carry: Need help making my decision.

First Time Concealed Carry: Need help making my decision.

I am an 18 year old college student with a love of guns and a desire to protect myself. I am from South Dakota and have grown up shooting just about anything. (This may get to sound like a dating advertisement, but I figure a little background is necessary). I have always loved to shoot pistol but never personally owned one. I have recently acquired my permit and am having a difficult time deciding on my choice of weapon to carry. I have always loved the Colt 1911 and the .45 caliber. Price is however a drawback. Money is tight but I want a quality firearm and rig with a decent power and yet affordable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Ads

If you like a lot of used Glocks can be had for @ 350.00.
    nerdyvirgin likes this.

You can also try a Rock Island Armory 1911 basic for $400.00. Its a good GI 45.
    Spade115 and nerdyvirgin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by automan View Post
    i carry mine and eats anything you feed into it. Awesome 1911!. if your tight on a budget. do layaway payments through budsgunshop. slowly pay the gun.
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

I'd go with a new or used Glock 19 9mm. Easy to carry, easy to shoot. I picked up my second G19 used LNIB for $400. You are only 18 and have a life time to build your gun collection, so start out with
    a good, light carry pistol, and build your 1911 collection when you can afford to get what you really want.
    Guest1 and RugerMike like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I'd go with a new or used Glock 19 9mm. Easy to carry, easy to shoot. I picked up my second G19 used LNIB for $400. You are only 18 and have a life time to build your gun collection, so start out with
    a good, light carry pistol, and build your 1911 collection when you can afford to get what you really want.
    I have really thought about this. Glock is definitely a good place to start. I'll check out the local shops. Considering I'm not quite ready to drop 1,000 on my dream colt just yet. Any other Glock suggestions? or is the 19 probably my best bet for a 9mm?

What is your budget? Please remember to budget in a quality holster.. and ammo to fill it with.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by automan View Post
    Considering I like pistols for sport as well. I began to think that maybe I should start with a simpler handgun. Something I can easily disassemble and clean. A .45 is definitely going to be my summer project and I will look into the Rock Island once I have a little bit bigger budget. So its good to know I have some alternatives for quality .45s.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    What is your budget? Please remember to budget in a quality holster.. and ammo to fill it with.
    I would really like to stay around 600-700. Hoping for 400-500 towards the weapon 100 holster and also some money for a couple boxes of ammunition to wear it in.

I am not totally against looking at revolvers either, but I have been questioning the effectiveness as carrying concealed. Though once I can get some saved cash I will look into as sport/hunting usage.

GM
    I should get a Rock Island 1911 Mil-Spec. You can get one on the Internet for $380 + shipping + FFL fee. They are very good firearms for the money. The Springfield GI is very nice too, but it is more expensive.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Just remember to practice shot placement,a .22 will kill just as dead as a .45 when placed properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    I am not totally against looking at revolvers either, but I have been questioning the effectiveness as carrying concealed. Though once I can get some saved cash I will look into as sport/hunting usage.

True about accuracy vs power. Any ideas about a holster? I want something comfortable yet concealed (of course). And I'm willing to pay good money for the rig. Thank you all so much for your help. Its nice to have some senior guidance before I make this decision.

Senior Moderator
    The most important thing to spend money on, once you have a quality firearm and holster is training.

Spending money on training now may well keep you alive and out of jail if you ever have to use your firearm for defense.

I'd second the Glock 19 recommendation. Inexpensive, reliable, and a great balance of shootability and ease of concealment.

Matt
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    True about accuracy vs power. Any ideas about a holster? I want something comfortable yet concealed (of course). And I'm willing to pay good money for the rig. Thank you all so much for your help. Its nice to have some senior guidance before I make this decision.
    I'd suggest looking at the hybrid Kydex / leather holsters like the CompTac MTAC or Crossbreed Supertuck. Reasonably priced, versatile and comfortable.

Matt
    zonker1986 and Toorop like this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links