To stipple or not to stipple? - Page 2

To stipple or not to stipple?

This is a discussion on To stipple or not to stipple? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; wow i'm loving the support here. i'm a smaller handed guy. for some reason the burger king commercial is playing in my head lol. tried ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: To stipple or not to stipple?

wow i'm loving the support here. i'm a smaller handed guy. for some reason the burger king commercial is playing in my head lol. tried the rubber grips and it makes the grip slightly larger which is worse and i've done the grip tape and like it. however, i'm def not getting rid of it and looking for something permanent and slightly more aggressive. the shop does not just take a soldering iron to it as i've heard some places do (thats ridiculous), they completely remold and modify the grip based on how you hold it and your hand size and then somehow "wrap" it and attach the stippling to the outside. i'm glad we could clear up the whole jury aspect of it tho... pretty sure im gonna pull the trigger so to speak (pun intended), worst case i don't like it and it gives me an excuse to buy a new gun
    ive attached a pic from their website just to show some of the things they do to the polymer guns, thanks fellas3bbl_glock.jpg.
    Semper Fi

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I never really got the never-ending quest for some ultimate, super-duper level of GRIP.

Stippling, skateboard tape, rough grips, Hogue slip on grips, etc, etc.

I shoot a bone-stock Glock 19, and think the grips are fine. I have really small (and usually sweaty) hands, and I wouldn't lose grip on that gun if I had just dipped my hand in Crisco.

Seriously, all of my pistols are pretty easy for me to obtain a solid grip. What am I missing here?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've never seen a stippling job that didn't look like something the neighborhood stray dog left on your lawn, and after shooting several makes in the hot, humid FL weather, I haven't found it necessary either. Now if a "grip reduction" helps the gun fit your hand better, that's a different story.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Skateboard tape will tear up a sport coat, trust me.

LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Under stress (fear), the human body is designed to SWEAT. Our crotch and under arms sweat to lubricate the skin for running or fighting. Our hands sweat when we're scared, too. This is to lubricate the skin on your plams so that you don't tear it off when using a club or rock to beat some one with. That's why we stipple the Glocks.

Everyone calls my stippling “Beaver Fur” because that’s what it looks like. The edges are not sharp at all. If you zoom in you can see how dull they are (click on photo to enlarge):

GLOCK FRAME MODS ISO.jpg DSC03406.JPG
    Grip Stippling, High Grip Cut & Ergo Mag Button

My wife Barb loves her stippling and I carry my gun inside my waistband against my skin a lot in the summer. Won’t hang up on clothing either, I guarantee it.

If you're on a budget, a piece of inner tube as Glockrocker says or slip on Gun Rubber would be my second choice, but stay away from the finger grooved ones. I call them “Speed Bumps” because they just slow you down. I make my students take the off in class as the bumps move around too much and if you blow the draw and get a bad grip they just get in the way.
    Last edited by DRM; November 16th, 2011 at 12:43 PM.
    Philly Boy likes this.

AOK
    I have my EDC Glock 23 stippled. It was a home job, easy, just takes a couple hours. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Personally I don't mess with internals on my 23. Externally I have made changes including: stipple, trijicon hd night sights, serrations accross the top of the slide, and a TLR1 light. Some may think the gun is ugly but it's the perfect EDC gun for me. I could care less about looks. I know I can run it hard, and have it set up to handle different situations such as darkness, low light, wet or damp conditions, fighting one handed due to injury/other hand occupied.

With all of this said, I'm still a firm believer in software > hardware.
    McDonaldUSMC likes this.

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    Seriously, all of my pistols are pretty easy for me to obtain a solid grip. What am I missing here?
    You must not be running your gun hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    You must not be running your gun hard enough.
    I'll try more.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Here's one I just finished for a client with BIG hands. He wanted a more aggressive stippling:

DSC03665-1.JPG

Just like with metal checkering, you can make it sharp or dull, to suit the shooters preference.

GLOCK STIPPLE.JPG

BOTTOM LINE: If it didn't help them shoot better, TOP SHOOTERS wouldn't do this to their guns. Personally, I find stock guns boring. Personalizing a pistol with creature comforts like this helps me and my students shoot better. But it's all about what YOU like and what feels good to YOU and what looks good in your eyes.
    JohnLeVick and Philly Boy like this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I had my M&P stippled...I love it. Helps alot on hot humid summer days here in Fl.
    Mine was done by Burwell Gunsmithing.

M&P.jpg

http://www.burwellguns.com/gallery/Melt/index.html
    Last edited by Stubborn; November 16th, 2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: add link
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

thanks guys im loving the input. now i know its not simply cut and dry and i can have it done on the grip where and as aggressive as i feel fit.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    I have really small (and usually sweaty) hands, and I wouldn't lose grip on that gun if I had just dipped my hand in Crisco
    You crack me up. I literally ROTFL!
    lowercase likes this.
    Gen 1 G17, Gen 3 G23, Gen 4 G26, 870P, MkIII 678, 10/22 Carbine

VIP Member
    A gun in recoil pushes the high tang into the web of the hand, and roughing up that part of the back strap has little effect. The bottom of the back strap tries to move forward away from the heel of the hand, and roughing up that section of the gun also has little effect. The sides of the gun are best left rather smooth to help the hand slide over the grip and eliminate snagging. A good case can be made for roughing up the front strap, especially the bottom, because the lower fingers need all the help they can get to keep the gun tight, lined up properly, and controlled during the forward arc of the bottom front under recoil.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I stippled my G19 and love it. If it's too rough you can knock the points off with sandpaper. In all honesty, if your even moderately handy, and have the nerve, it's really easy to do. And it will cost you about $20 for an adjustable tip soldering iron and a day or so to do it. One piece of advice, don't stipple above the web of the thumb. It will rub a blister if you shoot enough. And be careful going too high on the frame. I took mine all the way to the slide, and that edge was uncomfortable IWB at first. It took some work with sandpaper to get the rough spots tamed down. I will say that even when I don't get a good grip on the draw, the gun does not budge while shooting. And I don't have issues with it grabbing on my clothes either.
    I need to take a better pic.

I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

OD*
    Nice job.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

that looks pretty good for a DIY job. wow impressive. that said im gonna do it. going to Hatfields in Manassas, VA. ill come back on and put up pix when its finished. few weeks to drop it off and they said turn around is about 7-10 days.
    Semper Fi

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links