To stipple or not to stipple? - Page 3

To stipple or not to stipple?

This is a discussion on To stipple or not to stipple? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks guys. I'm pretty artistically inclined, so it came easy to me. Not much different that stippling in pen and ink. And I like the ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: To stipple or not to stipple?

Thanks guys. I'm pretty artistically inclined, so it came easy to me. Not much different that stippling in pen and ink. And I like the small dot pattern more than the wood grain look. Just a personal thing.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I think it's pretty cool lookin wish I had the guts to try it.

Sponsor
    To each his own, and that’s the best part about personalizing YOUR weapon. You make it look and feel the way YOU like it, and the way YOU want it.

Here’s my latest texturizing job on a Kel-Tec 9MM:

keltec-2.JPG
    genauwiedu likes this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Administrator
    That looks great DRM like tree bark.
    DRM likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    I haven't taken the leap yet, but I want my Glock 30 stippled. Until then, the decal grips work extremely well. They just stick on and stay put. They are only about $12 bucks and come in sand or smooth rubber texture. I have the sand texture, and other than one little wear spot they hold up extremely well. DECAL GRIP - HOME PAGE

I also just found these, which I just ordered to test. At $8 bucks with free shipping we'll see. www.tractiongrips.com
    Last edited by Crescentstar; February 11th, 2012 at 11:36 PM.

The Ruger SR9c comes nicely stippled from the factory, and has a grippy rubber backstrap. Very grippy and very comfy.

I say go for it. I stipple every polymer thing I have to hold and depend on. Stippling and the such will have little to no repercussion in a lawsuit. If its clean it is clean.

I don't think the mod would be a legal issue under any circumstances I can imagine, so that's just not an issue to me. I don't see much reason to stipple any part of the frame--I'd have to try two otherwise identical guns to make that call, however. But, I have two M&P handguns and stippled the removeable palm swell portion of the grip on both, and I'm okay with it. It's not an issue of permanently modifying the gun, the benefit (for me) isn't measureable, there's no significant change in aesthetics one way or the other, and I haven't found it to be so grabby that it's a safety issue. I did it mostly because I wanted to try it, and I enjoyed the 45 minutes I spent doing it.

This is a competition gun and I could hardly care at all what it looks like--it gives the grip a very subtle 'spongy' or cushy feel, although it's so subtle as to not be any distraction. It feels good. I shoot at elevations of 6,500 to 10,000 feet exclusively, and don't recall every having had sweaty hands during a match--so there's no issue there, either. It's a personal preference thing, I think. I could take it or leave it, wouldn't matter much.

I definitely wouldn't pay to have the polymer itself stippled--gripping a handgun for me hasn't ever required anything beyond a stock gun--to me it's sort of like the notion of adding 'grip' stuff to tools: usually a bad idea with a very bad outcome for the hands. But different folks has gots different experiences.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

Sponsor
    This is a competition gun and I could hardly care at all what it looks like--it gives the grip a very subtle 'spongy' or cushy feel, although it's so subtle as to not be any distraction.
    Bongo, do you think the 'spongy' feeling is form the back strap insert flexing? I ask because I have some requests to texture them but I am a bit concerned about it, thanks.
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

www.TacticalShooting.com

Sponsor

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    That looks great DRM like tree bark.
    HA! that's a first, I've never heard that one before. I've had people call it "Beaver Fur" and "Glock Fur" but your right, it does look like tree bark now that you mention it, especially Oak bark.

G26 Low Wrap.JPG

www.TacticalShooting.com

The only mod to my Glocks has been night sites.

The stipple is O.K. for some if they like it, but I prefer the grip the way it comes.
    I would think that the stipple would tear of the hand when shooting a lot.
    My last point shoot class was 1400 rounds in two days...OUCH!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Didn't see this posted...You could just purchase a $20 Hogue sleeve and see if that does what you need before going the stippling route. The Hogue JR. Sleeve on my Nano works perfectly. Added just a little extra "bite" to the grip and doesn't bother my skin when carrying without an undershirt tucked in.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

You could just purchase a $20 Hogue sleeve and see if that does what you need before going the stippling route. The Hogue JR. Sleeve on my Nano works perfectly. Added just a little extra "bite" to the grip and doesn't bother my skin when carrying without an undershirt tucked in.

Yep, you could. You could also use a piece of tight fitting bicycle inner tube. But the KEY word here is "tight"...

I stress "tight" because you don't want the "slip-on-grip" to be moving around while your trying to grip the gun and point the gun and shoot the gun under stress. By stress I mean, "IN AN EMERGENCY" or even under defensive match conditions. There is a reason the Top Shooters don't use them.

But if you do decide to use one, I'd recommend staying away from the "finger grooved" gun rubbers.
    Last edited by DRM; February 14th, 2012 at 09:36 AM.

www.TacticalShooting.com

Does this void the warranty? Why is stippling any better than adding tape or Talon-grip type things? I don't think marginally better grip would justify voiding a lifetime warranty
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Glocks are very slick when they are wet so I say your 11th general order is take your Glock and stip,stip away !

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links