To stipple or not to stipple?

This is a discussion on To stipple or not to stipple? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I stippled my LCR boot grip and couldn't be happier. just take your time. I removed my grip and put it in a vise with ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: To stipple or not to stipple?

I stippled my LCR boot grip and couldn't be happier. just take your time. I removed my grip and put it in a vise with plastic guards to perform the work.

IMG_3420 (Large).jpg

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post

Yep, you could. You could also use a piece of tight fitting bicycle inner tube. But the KEY word here is "tight"...

I stress "tight" because you don't want the "slip-on-grip" to be moving around while your trying to grip the gun and point the gun and shoot the gun under stress. By stress I mean, "IN AN EMERGENCY" or even under defensive match conditions. There is a reason the Top Shooters don't use them.

But if you do decide to use the, I'd recommend staying away from the "finger grooved" gun rubbers.
    Have you ever put one of those sleeves on? Maybe some rands of them are different than others, but the hogue jr on my nano took some real work to get on. Hasn't budged a bit and after about 500 rds with it on, the grip is well formed to contours of the grip. You'd really have to work to get it off or cut it off.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Does this void the warranty?
    YES…

But that doesn’t stop Top Shooters or serious shooters from doing it. As a matter of fact USPSA (United States Practical Shooting Confederation) now allows stippling on Production Class handguns (it’s that popular).

Have you ever put one of those sleeves on?
    Yep, one or two, but I’ve removed about 50 or so…

There’s a BIG difference between casual target shooting and rapid fire shooting under stress. I find the rubber sleeves adversely affect the shooters ability to grip the gun. The LAST thing I want is to have any movement between the grip and my students hands.

I strongly believe that rubberized Decal Grip, heat stippling or texturizing is the way to go.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

VIP Member
    I am one who does not like stippling. I like being able to return to stock. Also the Gen 4 Glocks are plenty grippy to me all most too grippy! My M&P's seem to be fine with a touch of skateboard tape.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Sponsor
    Yep, the factory stippling on the Gen 4 is there by popular demand for sure.

Most folks I talk to really like it, but some want an even more aggressive grip. Here's a Gen 4 I just did for a client who does VIP protection World wide. It's his work gun:

G17 Hi-Wrap.JPG
    Attached Images
    Last edited by DRM; February 14th, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

www.TacticalShooting.com

If you have a specific use for the stippling like some type of action shooting or duty work go for it. I thought about it and changed my thoughts. I too, use skate board type material except mine are in strips of about 3/4 inches wide and 3 1/2 inches long. I'll place about 3 pieces strategically on the grip as needed, especially during training classes during the hot summer months. I carry IWB alot and my sandpaper tape is not very comfortable to say the least. The strips allow me to easily peel it off for IWB carry and even reuse it several times as needed. Good luck with your choice!

Sponsor

Lightbulb

The Ruger SR9c comes nicely stippled from the factory, and has a grippy rubber backstrap. Very grippy and very comfy.
    Yes, Ruger did a good job on the SR9c. But they left the knurling off the front strap on the on the LCP so I fixed it:

RUGER .380 A.JPG

www.TacticalShooting.com

Sponsor
    Have you done any M&P's yet?
    Here's one that's not too aggressively textured as per my clients request (click to enlarge):

M&P B.jpg

M&P A.jpg
    OD* likes this.

www.TacticalShooting.com

I prefer Talon Grips, made from skate board tape. Very grippy and not permanent.

2012-11-14141126_zpse7df8515.jpg
    "Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid."

Re: To stipple or not to stipple?

If the gun is hard to grip or slips around in the hands easily then I'd say stippling, is a good plan. Especially when dealing with plastic guns, I don't really worry about what it "looks" like. My favorite gun to shoot is my ugly, stippled, cut on glock 17. It's probably not a gun that would sell for a large chunk of money, but I have no plans on selling it anyway so no worries.

sent via iCarry

The factory stippling on my PPQ makes me want all of my handguns to have it, but I'm personally too leery of having it done. I'd probably put traction tape or something on it instead, to make it easily undoable.

Quote Originally Posted by McDonaldUSMC View Post
    I found a local gunsmith that does an outstanding job of custom cutting and stippling of polymer frames. What do you think would be the pro/con balance?
    Improved grip, better peace of mind (because of it), uniqueness. Potential smaller market of buyers, if you ever opt to sell.

Seems a good trade-off, to me. I'm all for steps that markedly improve usability.

Definitely take lots of pics, once you've gotten it back from the shop.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

if you cant handle your gun without the stippling confidently you shouldn't carry it in the first place use bicycle inner tube or skateboard griptape, theres no sense in butchering a gun all up

Distinguished Member
    I stippled my m&p, like it, feels great, looks . . . well looks like its stippled. Would I do it again? Well, been wanting to do something to make my glock a little better. Added the skateboard tape, worked like a charm. Best of all it pulls right off if I want it off, and the gun is right back to original condition. I'll probably never stipple again, the tape is to easy and reversible.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    Here's one that's not too aggressively textured as per my clients request (click to enlarge):

M&P B.jpg

M&P A.jpg
    I really like the looks.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links