To stipple or not to stipple?

This is a discussion on To stipple or not to stipple? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, As I am fairly new to the ccw community (14 months) I have been given the advice of not to modify any cc ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: To stipple or not to stipple?

To stipple or not to stipple?

Hey all,
    As I am fairly new to the ccw community (14 months) I have been given the advice of not to modify any cc weapon as to not have it come back and bite me somewhere in the event it is held in front of a jury. The ol "manufacturer knows best" attitude. With that being said, I slightly disagree and I have installed different sights on my G19 (XS big dot 24/7 express) because good sights are a necessity. And now to the point of my post hehe I found a local gunsmith that does an outstanding job of custom cutting and stippling of polymer frames. What do you think would be the pro/con balance? The fact that I KNOW I will be able to handle my weapon no matter the ambient weather or moisture is a big plus but not if it makes me look as if I was building a "death machine" and looking for trouble. Any advice is welcomed and looking forward to getting some perspective. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I have a bunch of polymer pistols, and just look at the "customizing" of the polymer grips as making an ugly gun uglier. If you have wet frog paws, and have trouble holding on to your guns, it may have
    some benefit. I choose to pass.....not to mention, the prices these guys charge for taking a hot soldering iron to your gun is a joke.
    gen3 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I did it to a Gen 2 17,and liked it so much I did another,I done it to my comp guns,when your hands get sweaty it helps,BUT,it will eat you up on concealed carry,if all you are wanting is a tacky grip,try a peice of Bicycle Tube,very popular in Iraq and Afgan,doesn't add any bulk and is secure .
    DRM likes this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by McDonaldUSMC View Post
    Hey all,
    As I am fairly new to the ccw community (14 months) I have been given the advice of not to modify any cc weapon as to not have it come back and bite me somewhere in the event it is held in front of a jury. The ol "manufacturer knows best" attitude. With that being said, I slightly disagree and I have installed different sights on my G19 (XS big dot 24/7 express) because good sights are a necessity. And now to the point of my post hehe I found a local gunsmith that does an outstanding job of custom cutting and stippling of polymer frames. What do you think would be the pro/con balance? The fact that I KNOW I will be able to handle my weapon no matter the ambient weather or moisture is a big plus but not if it makes me look as if I was building a "death machine" and looking for trouble. Any advice is welcomed and looking forward to getting some perspective. Thanks.
    Being an old time steel and walnut guy, polymer pistols all feel slightly "slick" to me, so I stippled my two Glocks, I much prefer stippled over non-stippled now. For me, it also improves the looks of the Blocks.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Sponsor

Lightbulb Glock Modification

As far a court defensible goes, if the modification doesn’t effect the function, and makes you shoot safer (not have an A.D.) and helps you hit the intended target (not an innocent bystander), that’s a BIG plus IMO.

And them Glocks, they do get slippery when your palms get sweaty…

This is how my stipple jobs turn out:
    GLOCK FRAME MODS ISO.jpg

DISCLAIMER: Heat stippling produces a highly toxic gas. Melting and/or bending of frame when performing these mods requires special fixtures and heat sinks. Failure to take these precautions can effect mag release function and may soften frame and/or cause the grip frame to crack. Modifications to frame will void factory warranty.

D.R. Middlebrooks
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom shop.
    Last edited by DRM; November 15th, 2011 at 10:26 AM.
    McDonaldUSMC and QKShooter like this.

Yeah the shop does some amazing work. Duracoat and trigger jobs but I def don't need any of that jazz. I usually wear a "wife beater" under my shirts so that will take the beating before my ribs. DRM you make some valid points. And in my opinion they look better in addition to adding function. Look at the gen 4 they beef'd up the grips on they're own.
    Semper Fi

Administrator
    If you own a gun & you love it and aren't planning on selling it then do what you will with it. I don't think that any common sense modifications will come back to bite you. Just don't put any skulls, swastikas, or 666s on there.

VIP Member
    Some times stippling will catch on your clothing if you plan on conceal carrying it.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

"Skate board" tape works wonders if you don't want to permanently modify your gun.
    blitzburgh and Tmarkert like this.

Distinguished Member
    My glock ends up rubbing against my skin somehow or another much of the time. I would just be darn sure that you don't regret it for that rough texture feeling.

Gutsy move though, I like the looks of it but would be too chicken to do it to one of my guns even if I was not a gun rubber type wearer.

I'm with Zonker, I have always thought "stippling" a plastic pistol not only looked terrible, but would devalue the gun sumthin' fierce. But I know alot of folks like it, so to each their own.

You might try some of those "skateboard=runningboard" tape products. Plenty of grip, basically 50 grit sandpaper----and totally removable if you don't like it or want to sell it.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    Some times stippling will catch on your clothing if you plan on conceal carrying it.
    Anything that is rough or sharp is not advisable in a CC gun. Stippling can indeed catch on some cloth much like a velcro. I feel that a CC gun needs to be as smooth as possible to eliminate any possible of catching anything when drawing. When shooting at the range and what not, stippled or textured grips help a lot, but in a defensive situation you want the gun out with the lowest possible of chance of getting hung up with anything, and a perfectly smooth grip is the way to go.

One could say that a smooth grip will then make holding the gun difficult or it will slip out of your hand after the first shot. I contend that you will be gripping the gun so very hard, especially if you are trained that way which many many people instruct, that it won't be moving from your hand. Someone mentioned a bike tire or some other very smooth grippy material may work, but you have to make sure you can slide your fingers along the sides of the grip as smoothly as possible, and a grippy side may prohibit that.

The best grip is one that fits your hand snugly and comfortably. If you just like the look of the stippling then that is a different discussion.
    Mike

I will not make any permanent mods to a carry gun. I always want the option of going back to stock.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

One glock stippled. I like it.

Coldbore Customs does some amazing work. The only "professional" stippler that makes the Glock look better, IMHO. I have stippled alot of things, but I can not bring myself to take a heat gun to my own pistol. I had my G19 sent, and am about to send my G17 to have it done too.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links