TWO-Gun carry by non-LEO types

This is a discussion on TWO-Gun carry by non-LEO types within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by wmhawth Yup. They're out there staying prepared and patrolling the malls of America. That's a 5 gun minimum. I don't right now, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: TWO-Gun carry by non-LEO types

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Yup. They're out there staying prepared and patrolling the malls of America.
    That's a 5 gun minimum. I don't right now, but as soon as G27 ankle carry is figured out or I cave on an lcp/lcr I will be. All mechanical devices fail and Mr. Murphy likes to pick fights with me at the worst possible time.

Glock Certified Armorer

2. Remove Ads

Hardly ever carry more than one, and when I carry it's what most of you would probably call a bug.

Two J frames whenever and wherever carry is legal for me. ATGATT (a motorcycle term for gearing up... All The Gear All The Time) Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I like having a gun I can draw with my off hand in case my dominant hand is injured or occupied.

I also like having a gun I can get to quickly when my primary is buried under layers of clothes during the winter.

Jim

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I'll bet there are guys out there carrying 3 guns....
    I know a couple...they are guys who've been in gunfights more than once. Two is usually enough for me.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    I don't hang at crack houses, biker bars, or strip clubs at 2:00 a.m. One is plenty.
    Ditto!
    Buckj likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Yep. Either a G27 or a J-frame. Only the latter when its really hot out and I need to minimize the bulk in my pockets. My bug stays in a Nemesis holster that lives in the pocket of my coat or shorts, depending on the time of year.

Like the gentleman from Indiana has already said, I like having two guns for when my primary is under a coat or jacket. Also in case I need to hand one off to the missus, or if my primary suffers mechanical failure.

An acquaintance of mine that is LE shared a personal story of a shooting in which he was involved. His primary weapon suffered a failure in the thick of the fight, and if not for his backup, he may not have been able to tell the story. Needless to say, the lesson was not lost on me.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Some days it's just the glock in an IWB, others it's the mod 36 on ankle. Some days it's both.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I carry a bersa thunder as a bug, although I am trying to get a snubby for bug duty.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I am of the "two is one and one is none" school. I carry two more often than not, the BUG mostly being a J-frame or a Kel-Tec .32 or my favorite: the NAA Black Widow in .22Magnum. They all work and fit pretty much wherever.
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

I always carry a bug either a J frame or 38 special derringer on alot of job sites i have to lock my primary in the truck so as not to scare the customers.

Yes, always two. Either a Glock in a Smartcarry and a LCP as a secondary in my off-side pocket; or dual pocket carry with a PM9 and a LCP.

There was one instance where (off duty) I carried three - both pockets and the Smartcarry. My wife got lazy, and one of them was hers.

IMHO, if you carry only one gun but do carry a reload for it, you'd be MUCH better off ditching the reload and carrying a LCP (or equivalent) as a secondary.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

If I'm not carrying a spare mag, I'm carrying a second gun. Typically, Glock 23 on the hip and a wheelie (442 or SP101 in the pocket). I'm into pocket carry. When some dung-head say's "gimme what you got", the formal sweep/clear clothing/draw is more conspicuous than a quick hand in the pocket/diversion/draw/ventilate, JMO.

OK...as I've said before I usually carry one firearm. If and when I believe I'll be going into a challanging area.... or late at night I'll strap on a second gun.

I currently work as a service technician. Most of the time i'm in low crime area's, and working during the daylight. But often enough I'll answer a service call during the night time, and in depressed area's. I usually carry a S&W 5 shot snubbie, or a Kahr PM9 on my person. When I need I'll up-gun to a full sized revolver, or autoloader. That being a S&W model 10, 13, or a Styer M-40.

I'm a firm believer of the self defense gun being a surprise to the attacker, but there are situations where the idiginous population knowing your armed tends to mitigate a situation before it happens. And the little gun is still a surprise.

Just my reasons for the second gun thingie..

Spuk.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    IMHO, if you carry only one gun but do carry a reload for it, you'd be MUCH better off ditching the reload and carrying a LCP (or equivalent) as a secondary.
    I agree.

I always have my Glock 19 IWB at 4 O'Clock, and I have my S&W Bodyguard .380 AIWB at 1 O'Clock.

My reason for doing this is quite simple:

If I'm pinned on my back against a wall, the ground or just can't access my primary for some other reason, it's highly likely that I will still be able to access my secondary at my appendix. Problems solved.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links