TWO-Gun carry by non-LEO types - Page 4

TWO-Gun carry by non-LEO types

This is a discussion on TWO-Gun carry by non-LEO types within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Usually just one, sometimes keep my j-frame or det. spcl. in my truck center console....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: TWO-Gun carry by non-LEO types

Usually just one, sometimes keep my j-frame or det. spcl. in my truck center console.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

VIP Member
    IWB both sides is the only way I carry multiple concealed handguns.

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    Just curious: does anyone carry a 2nd gun more than 50% of the time that is currently NOT a member of law enforcement ?
    I've thought about it..but have NOT carried a BUG on my body yet(I've had another in a backpack close..but NOT physically on me). Interested to hear what,how and why. Thanks guys!
    I carry a Glock 36 primary and a Kel Tec P3AT as a BUG.

There are times and places that I can not carry the Glock 36 and the Kel Tec P3AT becomes my primary.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I have done this a time or two with a Glock 36 and a 21. At work I always have the 31 at the counter and the 36 on my belt so I guess I do.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

I'm a retired LEO so maybe that's why I do it.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

I carry the LCP as a backup rather than a second magazine for my Kahrs. I don't train that frequently for reloading under stress, so it provides an alternative to screwing up inserting the second magazine under pressure.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    never leave the house without at least two. Ususally pocket carry a small 9mm Keltec PF-9 or Kahr CM9 as a BUG to Glock of a variety of calibers. Not sure what being or not being LEO has to do with carrying a second gun. When I hit the streets in the morning, I am on my own.....no radio for backup, no cruisers ready to come to my aid, no army of SWAT ready to save my butt......just me, my Glock and little pocket 9mm and my own commons sense and self awarenesss.

Hey, Lets be careful out there!!
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ****************
    Just curious..street cops probably carry a 2nd gun,because of the proactive nature of their work. They're looking for trouble so to speak. Civilians are not. Anyway, glad to see that your entrusting your safety to nobody but yourself...my kind of American!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

AOK
    Up until this past March this year I only carried a backup about 10% of the time at best. Now I carry a Smith & Wesson 380 in my front left pocket about 98% of the time. I have two mags for my primary Glock 23 and the BUG.

Why the change? I was running a failure drill in a class, was going through the regular routine after getting a "click" of getting behind cover, tap, rack but the slide didn't move and it was about 1/2 way back. It didn't appear to be a double feed but I quickly stripped the mag and stored it, firmly racked the slide and as I let the slide go it never stopped until it hit the ground (slide lock spring broke). So I'm standing there holding just the frame and no backup gun. Right away, I thought I needed my BUG but didn't have it with me and how screwed I would have been had this been a real life and death situation.

One of the many reasons I love getting good training. You run your gun hard to see you and your equipments failure point. Find out what adjustments you need to make so you are prepared the best you can. Plan and prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Why the change? I was running a failure drill in a class, was going through the regular routine after getting a "click" of getting behind cover, tap, rack but the slide didn't move and it was about 1/2 way back. It didn't appear to be a double feed but I quickly stripped the mag and stored it, firmly racked the slide and as I let the slide go it never stopped until it hit the ground (slide lock spring broke). So I'm standing there holding just the frame and no backup gun. Right away, I thought I needed my BUG but didn't have it with me and how screwed I would have been had this been a real life and death situation.
    And THAT ^ is why. Excellent post, sir.

When I retired, my plan was no more toting around a big service-type pistol... a J frame and a Speed Strip was all I needed. The soaring crime rate here, caused by Katrina dumping much of New Orlean's trash in our laps, changed my mind about that... and rather quickly, too. It was back to Plan A... a service pistol and BUG. Not fun... but comforting.

There were 2 times in my career where I carried a backup but I haven't in a long time. I remember an articlewritten years ago by Ayoob that mentions how us cops would take off out Sam Brown and hang it up in the locker along with the 40 rounds and strap on a 6 shooter.

However to answer the question...I don't carry 2 guns. I don't feel the need to do so.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I carry 2 on Sunday...Ruger LC 9 in the right front pocket and a S&W 642 on my left ankle.
    Proud NRA member

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links