Defensive Carry banner

First CC gun, caliber decision

4K views 46 replies 28 participants last post by  VTski4x4 
#1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum, but have been lurking for a while. I am in the process of getting my CC permit in Tax-a-chusetts and have been debating a few different firearms and calibers and wanted to get your opinions on the matter. First of all, I know there is no substitute for training, which is why I am enrolling in an advanced carry/training course after I get my license. Second, practice always makes perfect, which is why I am having a hard time deciding on caliber. At first I wanted a Kimber .45acp but in my great state, getting a Kimber due to laws is virtually impossible. I am not opposed to wheel guns, but think that I may prefer a semi instead for my first gun. I am really deciding between calibers due to cost, I want to have ample stopping power, but I also want the caliber to be cheap enough that I can shoot as much as I want to hone my skills. All that said, here are the choices:

1. Glock 19 9mm
2. S&W 686 38 special
3. Glock 32
4. Sig p226 in 9mm or .40s&w

Open to other options, just wanted to get some feedback/ideas

#40 ·
Absolutely nothing wrong with the Glock 19 or the Sig 239, but you may consider getting an M&P .40c. With the M&P .40c you can have the option of putting in a .40, 357, or a 9mm "factory barrel" (not a conversion barrel although they are fine, just more expensive). I have put over 500 rounds of 9mm, 300 rounds of 357, and 700 rounds of .40 through mine with nothing more than switching out the "factory" barrels, without a failure or issue. If you use only the .40 mag's you may have the barrel lock the slide back on the last 9mm round still in the mag, but not a big deal if for practice. Some will tell you you "HAVR TO" get the conversion barrel, and "HAVE TO" get the caliber specific magazines but this is not correct.

The accuracy is very good with all rounds and this gives you a lot more options. With the .40 mag's you can put 2 extra rounds of 9mm in the 10 round magazines. My "dept's" gunsmith (1700 Officers) is also a S&W armorer and says that the "lock-up" is the same and that this switching of barrels will not damage you pistol in the least. Our dept. issues the M&P 40 full size so we do have a fair amount of experience with the weapon platform. Good Luck.

#41 ·
Sounds more and more like the best move for you is a move to a free state. Yes I know that is next to impossible for most people but I keep hearing of all these restrictions, ILLEGAL TO HAVE A GUN ON YOUR NIGHTSTAND WITHOUT A TRIGGER LOCK and others and I'm just shocked. Best of luck MA DC'ers. I'm saddened by the unconstitutionality of parts of this great country, I realize Kansas ain't perfect but we're creeping that direction.

#42 ·
Sadly, I love my hometown and do not see myself moving anytime soon. Its very interesting that there are so many restrictions about firearms even in one's home, yet MA is a Castle Doctrine state. Looks like when BG comes a knockin, i should keep some rocks next to my bed to throw at them while I unlock the welcoming committee

#44 ·
Whatever You Shoot Best

Whatever you shoot best. It's the package - caliber doesn't exist separately in the practical world from a gun and a shooter.

Ideally, you want the combo to allow a quick draw and shot on target with ability for fast and accurate follow-up shots if needed. Pick the one you can do that best with if you can find out without buying all the guns.

If you can't find out do a 9mm or the 38 - middle-of-the-roaders and see how you do after awhile. Most end up with a second gun - and anyone who shoots will find they can shoot a friend's gun or rent etc. If you find another you shoot well with that's different from the first after a year or so - fine use 2, maybe a larger and smaller to accommodate different dress, seasons of the year etc., with higher caliber along with the one you have.

If there was a Best caliber we'd all know it and so would you, the thread would have been a half-page and you would have had THE right answer quick.

Treat it like picking shoes - whatever works on your feet the best.

#45 ·
I am going to go against most of what you have read here. I would suggest getting a Airweight 38sp. S&W. The gun is simple to operate, no safety to worry about, single action if you need, cost effective ammo. The gun can be opened and reloaded with one hand if you ever get into that. I have four auto's and have had three different models and brands fail for a variety of reasons. A wheel gun is simple and very reliable, I would buy one of those first then get your SR9c. I had one of those and it is as said before, a great gun. A auto needs much more range time to become proficient with it. In a emergency you will possibly need to clear a failure to feed or eject and without a reasonable amount of range time with the gun that could be a very bad situation. As a person new to guns I think you should start out with the most reliable platform first and work towards a nice auto. Just my opinion but it is based on many years of experience but then again, as I just said, just my opinion.
Good luck, Frank.

#47 ·
I really appreciate this view point. Some good advice. I think I will most likely purchase both and become proficient with both, then decide which to carry. I am a small dude, 5'2" so having a large CC gun is an extra challenge for someone of my stature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.