First CC gun, caliber decision

This is a discussion on First CC gun, caliber decision within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for the great responses! Keep them coming. I am hitting the range next week, and the shop has a lot of different guns that ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: First CC gun, caliber decision

Thanks for the great responses! Keep them coming. I am hitting the range next week, and the shop has a lot of different guns that I can try out, so that is definitely top priority right now.

Edit: after checking the local shop's website. the SR9c is quite affordable, and in regards to CC/HD argument, I feel that If i like the SR9c after shooting it, it will probably become the dedicated CC gun, with enough $$ left in my wallet for a good home defense piece as well. Thanks for the suggestions

2. Remove Ads

I own and carry a glock 19 that I could not be happier with. If you carry a spare mag that is 31 rounds of 9mm in a very small package. If you need more than 31 rounds, what your really needed was an AR. Also, don't overlook the safe action on the glock handguns. I personally would not carry an SD gun with a manual safety that needs to be disengaged separate from the act of firing the weapon. My choice was between the glock 19 and the sp101 and decided to go with the glock because I think it is more concealable, cheaper to practice with (so I will be proficient much faster), and a MUCH higher capacity.

One important thing I learned about going through this process of selecting a firearm is no matter what choice you make, you will be making compromises. You need to decide where you are willing to compromise and where you are not.

Enjoy the process.
    joker1 likes this.
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerMike View Post
    My choice was between the glock 19 and the sp101 and decided to go with the glock because I think it is more concealable, cheaper to practice with (so I will be proficient much faster), and a MUCH higher capacity.

One important thing I learned about going through this process of selecting a firearm is no matter what choice you make, you will be making compromises. You need to decide where you are willing to compromise and where you are not.

Enjoy the process.
    And nothing wrong with choosing BOTH! :)
    zonker1986 likes this.

Does MA restrict you to 10 rounds? If so, I would go with the Glock 26 instead of the Glock 19. It's a lot more concealable.

I'm also from MA, so I know how you feel. Sr9c, M&P9c, sig 239, and Walther pps are easy to get and make good combination home defense and carry guns. The Glock 19 will be harder to find in MA and you will pay more. I would go 9mm. Good round, affordable and easy to shoot out of the compact guns.

If you must go bigger than 9mm I would go 40. You can get the same guns in 40 and 40 ammo is only a little more expensive. 45 ammo costs more and their is not a lot of compact 45 guns available in MA.

Quote Originally Posted by VTski4x4 View Post
    Kimber's do not meet MA standards (list of allowed handguns). Unless it was made before 10/21/98 it has to pass MA codes and specification which leaves out a ton of guns. Kimber, all the new Springfields etc
    You concur my opinion. MA sux. Amazing they believe their restrictions result in benefits to their populace.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Does MA restrict you to 10 rounds? If so, I would go with the Glock 26 instead of the Glock 19. It's a lot more concealable.
    Yes. But pre-ban magazines over 10 rounds are legal, if you can find them.

VIP Member
    For a dual HD/CC gun there is nothing better than a G19. There is nothing close.
    RugerMike and joker1 like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tex32Cal View Post
    ...By that I mean if the firearm is heavy or bulky, one may hesitate to strap it on, especially when the weather is hot.
    I agree with the bulky part and most of what else you said, but not the heavy part. The most important aspect [other than reliability] is thickness and then overall size. Heavier thinner guns are better than thicker lighter ones. To the OP; definitely 9mm, but scrap everything on your list and start over. Think about single stack nines - Kahr K9, Kahr CW9, Walther PPS, Ruger LC9, SA EMP, etc. This would be your IWB weapon and the best place to start. Save your Glock 19, S&W M&P, or whatever high capacity gun as your OWB / night stand weapon.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

The right gun should feel instinctive in your hand. Try a couple dozen, and you'll see what I mean.

That will vary for each person. For me, a K or L frame S&W revolver is just about perfect. The N frame is OK. A Ruger single action feels good, but obviously is less than wonderful for concealed carry! Ruger double actions feel awkward in my hand. I've never held a semi-auto that felt like anything other than a piece of farm machinery in my hand.

Of course, for you, that list might work backwards.

I normally carry a 686+. Many say it is too heavy, but it works for me and it feels like an extension of my arm. Take a bit of time, and try a LOT of different guns before settling on one. If you get it right the first time, you'll own the gun for as long as you live.

Comments

I own 3 of the 4 guns on your list - all but the Glock 32. The Glock 19 is always a good choice - sort of a classic in 9mm poly frame guns. The S&W 686 is a fine gun, but rather large and heavy for concealed carry. And the Sig P226 is also a little large for concealed carry, in my opinion.

Aren't Sigs readily available in Massachusetts? How about a Sig P239 in 9mm, which is a slim, single stack gun holding 8+1 rounds. I find it conceals very easily and is accurate and reliable. Here is mine:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

just so you know glocks dont meet MA standards either unless there manufactured prior to october 21 of 1998. And also in mass it is illegal to have a gun next to the bed unless it has a trigger lock on it or it is in a safe.

Quote Originally Posted by lilrinn1019 View Post
    just so you know glocks dont meet MA standards either unless there manufactured prior to october 21 of 1998. And also in mass it is illegal to have a gun next to the bed unless it has a trigger lock on it or it is in a safe.
    Gawd........

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    You concur my opinion. MA sux. Amazing they believe their restrictions result in benefits to their populace.
    - They aren't particularly thrilled to grant CCW's to non-residents either. The non-resident licenses are only good for a year and you have to go to apply in person every year. Not to mention that their knife laws are equally absurd since towns can set their own limits.

Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    Yes. But pre-ban magazines over 10 rounds are legal, if you can find them.
    - Can you use a pre-ban magazine with a newer gun?

there a few sig 239 models that are available in ma but i know the ones with DAK trigger are not available

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links