First CC gun, caliber decision

This is a discussion on First CC gun, caliber decision within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would go with the 9mm Glock. If you find you have a hard time concealing it go with a J frame 38 special S&W ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: First CC gun, caliber decision

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I would go with the 9mm Glock. If you find you have a hard time concealing it go with a J frame 38 special S&W but by all means keep the Glock.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by helderberg View Post
    I am going to go against most of what you have read here. I would suggest getting a Airweight 38sp. S&W. The gun is simple to operate, no safety to worry about, single action if you need, cost effective ammo. The gun can be opened and reloaded with one hand if you ever get into that. I have four auto's and have had three different models and brands fail for a variety of reasons. A wheel gun is simple and very reliable, I would buy one of those first then get your SR9c. I had one of those and it is as said before, a great gun. A auto needs much more range time to become proficient with it. In a emergency you will possibly need to clear a failure to feed or eject and without a reasonable amount of range time with the gun that could be a very bad situation. As a person new to guns I think you should start out with the most reliable platform first and work towards a nice auto. Just my opinion but it is based on many years of experience but then again, as I just said, just my opinion.
    Good luck, Frank.
    I really appreciate this view point. Some good advice. I think I will most likely purchase both and become proficient with both, then decide which to carry. I am a small dude, 5'2" so having a large CC gun is an extra challenge for someone of my stature.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links