Defensive Carry banner

First CC gun, caliber decision

4K views 46 replies 28 participants last post by  VTski4x4 
#1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum, but have been lurking for a while. I am in the process of getting my CC permit in Tax-a-chusetts and have been debating a few different firearms and calibers and wanted to get your opinions on the matter. First of all, I know there is no substitute for training, which is why I am enrolling in an advanced carry/training course after I get my license. Second, practice always makes perfect, which is why I am having a hard time deciding on caliber. At first I wanted a Kimber .45acp but in my great state, getting a Kimber due to laws is virtually impossible. I am not opposed to wheel guns, but think that I may prefer a semi instead for my first gun. I am really deciding between calibers due to cost, I want to have ample stopping power, but I also want the caliber to be cheap enough that I can shoot as much as I want to hone my skills. All that said, here are the choices:

1. Glock 19 9mm
2. S&W 686 38 special
3. Glock 32
4. Sig p226 in 9mm or .40s&w

Open to other options, just wanted to get some feedback/ideas

#3 ·
First, I'm always partial to the Glock 19 as it's my EDC, and 9x19mm is more than enough for SD and is the least expensive to practice with.

Second, Sig does not make the P226 in .45.

Third, the Glock 32 is chambered in .357 SIG, not .357 Magnum.

P.S. Welcome to DC. :bier:

#4 ·
OK, here goes.

First, you have some mistakes in you caliber choices that will get your hand blown off. A .357 Magnum is a different caliber gun than a .357 Sig. That means that the S&W 686 shoots a very different round than the Glock. A 38 special (sometimes abbreviated .38 spl) can be shot from a .357 Magnum but a .357 Mag from a .38 special will probably blow up the gun.

A .357 Mag, a .357 Sig and a .380 are not interchangeable. Bad stuff will happen if you try to swap them out.

Moving on to part two of my answer: If I had the money to only buy one gun it would be a G19. A G19 is a fantastic gun and a great "all rounder".

Will this be a gun exclusively for carry or will it be for carry and HD?

#5 ·
Well sorry to say the glock 32 is .357 sig not magnum and that ammo is up there 9mm is about the most cost effective for practice especially if you are leaning towards a semi auto. I personally love a good whelgun as a primary or a bug and .38 special is ussually priced between 9mm and 40 and is fine for practice with a .357 but ultimatley the choice is yours and what you eel comforable with.

#6 ·
I may be in the minority on this, but my opinion is that no firearm will help you unless it is on your person. By that I mean if the firearm is heavy or bulky, one may hesitate to strap it on, especially when the weather is hot. Personally, I carry a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster in my front pocket. I realize that there is a strong argument among concealed licensees that nothing short of 9mm should be carried, but a .380 in the pocket is much more valuable than a .45 sitting on the dresser at home.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Michael

#24 ·
...By that I mean if the firearm is heavy or bulky, one may hesitate to strap it on, especially when the weather is hot.
I agree with the bulky part and most of what else you said, but not the heavy part. The most important aspect [other than reliability] is thickness and then overall size. Heavier thinner guns are better than thicker lighter ones. To the OP; definitely 9mm, but scrap everything on your list and start over. Think about single stack nines - Kahr K9, Kahr CW9, Walther PPS, Ruger LC9, SA EMP, etc. This would be your IWB weapon and the best place to start. Save your Glock 19, S&W M&P, or whatever high capacity gun as your OWB / night stand weapon.

#7 ·
9mm is always an inexpensive reliable handgun cal. Good defensive round, and easy on the wallet to practice with. I would suggest this as a good starting point. i own 357 magnum in a J frame, and it is too much to handle. I own many j frames, and love the 38 special. I also carry a Glock 30 chambered in 45 ACP, which is a puppy dog to shoot in comparison to the j frame 357. Do some more research... its actually one of the most enjoyable parts or getting a new handgun. bunker

#8 ·
Of the choices listed, I would concur with getting the Glock 19 9mm. All round, it is a solid choice. 9mm is amongst the cheapest ammo for target practice and with a high quality defensive round should give you no problems in regards to getting the job done (note, I don't buy into the caliber war).

Really, before you decide the best thing you could do is try as many different models as you can. If you have a local range that will rent for a nominal fee then take advantage of this opportunity. Second, read as much as you can and third go to the gun stores and talk to the clerks. Take your time. Eventually you will come to a decision but before you do, you will probably find yourself changing your mind a few times about what you want.

#9 ·
It's hard to beat the G19, but the G26 is more compact and conceals more easily. However, I carried my 19 today and had no trouble whatsoever.Also, 9mm ammo is very reasonable and may lead you to have more range time plus fun and training.:image035:

Reactions: zonker1986
#10 ·
Which do you shoot best and are more accurate with?

Why can't you get a Kimber in MA?

If capacity is limitted in MA, I would prefer to carry .45 acp (GLOCK 30). Here in Kansas I can carry 15+1 of screaming 9x19 in my GLOCK 19 which gives me a great SD round and plenty of it.

#11 ·
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I have been reading about so many different handguns that I mixed them all up when typing. My bad.

atctimmy- the gun will be used for both CC and HD. If I go glock, when home, it will have a tactical light/laser on it next to the bed.

bunker- thanks for the reply regarding the .357 magnum. The 38 special may be the way to go. How does the 38 special compare in stopping power/cost. I know placement determines much of the equation, but there is some difference depending on round power.

Keep the good responses coming, can never have too much info.

Cheers!

#13 ·
the gun will be used for both CC and HD
As others will likely point out, you can't get the perfect gun for CC and HD. What's best for one application is suboptimal for the other. You should plan on getting the best firearm for each application - you need at least 2.

But, if you must start out with a hybrid choice like this, look at the Ruger SR9c. You can go with the the 10 round magazine for CC and the 17 rounder for HD - it's crazy accurate at likely distances for CC and HD, solid as a tank, reliable, and has a trigger and ergonomics that run circles around the Glock 19.

#14 ·
I think if I had to pick just one, it would be a gun capable of handling .38 Special +P, which of course includes all .357 Magnum revolvers. Not a huge fan of 9mm Luger for various reasons, but the Glock 19 would be a good choice too, if you are disciplined enough to keep your fingers and everything else off that trigger until you want to fire. A Glock 19 can be turned into a Glock 32 with a simple conversion barrell and mag swap.

Take a look at Ruger's SR9C too.

#15 ·
At least the newb isn't considering an ineffective lame-touchie caliber mouse gun for comfort and convenience. (I'm working hard here on complying with TOS and my DC master, JD). Good job there, pardner. There's no such thing as dumb questions. Stick with a service-caliber round.
You can't go wrong with starting with 9mm. It's an effective round, easy to find plentiful, and cheap ammo, numerous top-quality weapons, and a good jump-off for wherever your carry takes you.
The .357 mag is a truly noble carry round. It shoots in revolvers (and rifles), but you have to balance capacity in a wheelie (5,6 or 7 rounds) vs. 9mm semi (10-17 rounds). The .357 sig is the semi-auto flavor of the .357 mag, basically a sawed off .40 S&W round (I see a dung storm coming). Some swear by it. Price a box of ammo before you buy into it.
Glocks are popular for a good reason, but not everyone's cup 'o tea (I gulp it daily). You really have to shoot a few first to see if you like it. I always enjoy striking up conversations with fellow shooters at the range. Most folks are pretty open to exchanging weapons and shooting some different stuff with someone who's interested. I always offer my weapon before I beg theirs (some wienies just can't be swayed...no big deal, but I've shot nearly anything I saw at the range with a proper introduction/conversation/set-up). I've learned a ton of stuff from strangers at the range, and I've taught a bunch of people stuff I know. All good ju-ju. When I was a complete newb, I was amazed at the sharing and caring of complete strangers at the range and I always keep that in mind when I witness rookies screwing up. You just have to be willing to care and share. It's as easy as "I like your gun", or "Can I show you something?"
All the actual options you mention have ample "stopping power". It really comes down to how it feels in your hand, and how well you can shoot it. Then, you'll be ready to enter the bewildering world of holsters, belts, clothing, and the numerous differing opinions of all the "experts". Carry is truly a personal experience. There is no "right" answer, just a lot of "wrong" ones.

#16 ·
Thanks for the great responses! Keep them coming. I am hitting the range next week, and the shop has a lot of different guns that I can try out, so that is definitely top priority right now.

Edit: after checking the local shop's website. the SR9c is quite affordable, and in regards to CC/HD argument, I feel that If i like the SR9c after shooting it, it will probably become the dedicated CC gun, with enough $$ left in my wallet for a good home defense piece as well. Thanks for the suggestions

#17 ·
I own and carry a glock 19 that I could not be happier with. If you carry a spare mag that is 31 rounds of 9mm in a very small package. If you need more than 31 rounds, what your really needed was an AR. Also, don't overlook the safe action on the glock handguns. I personally would not carry an SD gun with a manual safety that needs to be disengaged separate from the act of firing the weapon. My choice was between the glock 19 and the sp101 and decided to go with the glock because I think it is more concealable, cheaper to practice with (so I will be proficient much faster), and a MUCH higher capacity.

One important thing I learned about going through this process of selecting a firearm is no matter what choice you make, you will be making compromises. You need to decide where you are willing to compromise and where you are not.

Enjoy the process.

#18 ·
My choice was between the glock 19 and the sp101 and decided to go with the glock because I think it is more concealable, cheaper to practice with (so I will be proficient much faster), and a MUCH higher capacity.

One important thing I learned about going through this process of selecting a firearm is no matter what choice you make, you will be making compromises. You need to decide where you are willing to compromise and where you are not.

Enjoy the process.
And nothing wrong with choosing BOTH! :)

Reactions: zonker1986
#19 ·
Does MA restrict you to 10 rounds? If so, I would go with the Glock 26 instead of the Glock 19. It's a lot more concealable.

#20 ·
I'm also from MA, so I know how you feel. Sr9c, M&P9c, sig 239, and Walther pps are easy to get and make good combination home defense and carry guns. The Glock 19 will be harder to find in MA and you will pay more. I would go 9mm. Good round, affordable and easy to shoot out of the compact guns.

If you must go bigger than 9mm I would go 40. You can get the same guns in 40 and 40 ammo is only a little more expensive. 45 ammo costs more and their is not a lot of compact 45 guns available in MA.

#25 ·
The right gun should feel instinctive in your hand. Try a couple dozen, and you'll see what I mean.

That will vary for each person. For me, a K or L frame S&W revolver is just about perfect. The N frame is OK. A Ruger single action feels good, but obviously is less than wonderful for concealed carry! Ruger double actions feel awkward in my hand. I've never held a semi-auto that felt like anything other than a piece of farm machinery in my hand.

Of course, for you, that list might work backwards.

I normally carry a 686+. Many say it is too heavy, but it works for me and it feels like an extension of my arm. Take a bit of time, and try a LOT of different guns before settling on one. If you get it right the first time, you'll own the gun for as long as you live.

#26 ·
Comments

I own 3 of the 4 guns on your list - all but the Glock 32. The Glock 19 is always a good choice - sort of a classic in 9mm poly frame guns. The S&W 686 is a fine gun, but rather large and heavy for concealed carry. And the Sig P226 is also a little large for concealed carry, in my opinion.

Aren't Sigs readily available in Massachusetts? How about a Sig P239 in 9mm, which is a slim, single stack gun holding 8+1 rounds. I find it conceals very easily and is accurate and reliable. Here is mine:

#32 ·
Keep in mind that the M&P 9c or 40c are also offered in "compact" as noted by the lower case "c". If your range has the M&P 9c to rent, give it a try. If it's (trigger) been broken in or Apex'd, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck in your quest for the "perfect" EDC (for you).

#33 ·
ma sucks anything without a manual safety also has to have a trigger pull of atleast 10 lbs. My Ma compliant m&p9c had a trigger pull of 13 lbs before it went to the smith and my pps was even worse it was 16lbs out of the factory. although after a trip to my gunsmith there both at 6lbs now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.