22 Magnum S&W revolver

This is a discussion on 22 Magnum S&W revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In "No Second Place Winner" the late Bill Jordan expressed the opinion that a light weight revolver chambered in the then new .22 WMR would ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 22 Magnum S&W revolver

In "No Second Place Winner" the late Bill Jordan expressed the opinion that a light weight revolver chambered in the then new .22 WMR would be the ideal hot weather pocket pistol.

2. Remove Ads

If I were to get a .22 mag revolver, it would be a single action model with the .22 lr cylinder, too.

My little brother has a cheaper Heritage version, talk about super-happy-wonderful-fun time That thing is a ton of fun
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Bunker, look at the Smith model 351c with the XS front sight. Thats the one I'm jonesin' for.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Good looking little revolver that .22 mag S&W! It would make a great little trail/ woods bumming gun. You would be far from defenceless with a cylinder full of .22 mag hollow points. Seems like any holster that would fit a J frame would fit the little maggie. Wonder if anyone makes a speed loader for it?

Good job Bunker.....now I want one......

I'm a big .22 WMR fan, though it would never be my first choice for self-defense. CCI/Speer has recently released a "Short Barrel" .22 WMR load that I'm in the process of testing. It's a 40gr. Gold Dot bullet in a nickeled case. The nickeled case is significant, as many .22 WMR revolvers have tight and/or rough chambers, and the plated cases extract more easily than do bare brass ones. Here are the results of my limited testing, so far:

1 5/8" Freedom Arms: Avg. 1124 fps.
    ES 45 fps.

Kel-Tec PMR-30: Avg. 1273 fps.
    ES 95 fps.

S&W 8 3/8" M 48: Avg. 1591 fps.
    ES 174 fps

The large extreme spreads in the longer barrels were disappointing, but I've come to expect high ES with .22 WMR ammo of most varieties in most handguns, and am always pleasantly surprised when the phenomenon doesn't show up. A good comparison of the above numbers is that one is basically getting .22 lr RIFLE ballistics from a short-barrelled handgun. That's nothing to sneeze at.

I have a 4" Model 48 Smith that I originally helped a friend find for his elderly father. The old fellow had a lot of arthritis in his hands, and even .38 Special recoil caused him too much pain. He kept the Model 48 for self-defense use, and after he died, I bought the gun from my friend.

I've shot lots of critters with .22 WMR from a handgun and a rifle, mostly jackrabbits and prairie dogs, and I wouldn't likely ever choose it for anything much bigger, but I've seen enough to have a healthy respect for it. I sure as hell won't stand in front of one.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I wouldn't consider carrying this, I like carrying my PM9 and my SI Micro Compact too much. But I could sure see buying one of these for the fun of it. Just to shoot .22 all day, even magnums. It's probably a lot of fun to shoot.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    Good looking little revolver that .22 mag S&W! It would make a great little trail/ woods bumming gun. You would be far from defenceless with a cylinder full of .22 mag hollow points. Seems like any holster that would fit a J frame would fit the little maggie. Wonder if anyone makes a speed loader for it?

Good job Bunker.....now I want one......
    When I had my 351PD I had a HKS speedloader for it. I will have to check to see if I still have it.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    Anyone know what a reasonable price for these is? I looked at the S&W site and almost dropped my false teeth, and I don't have any false teeth. Then I looked around and saw them from an on-line store for around 600 bucks. That seems very high, though it is sort of a specialty item. Anyway, what do these go for realistically in ordinary local shops.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Anyone know what a reasonable price for these is? I looked at the S&W site and almost dropped my false teeth, and I don't have any false teeth. Then I looked around and saw them from an on-line store for around 600 bucks. That seems very high, though it is sort of a specialty item. Anyway, what do these go for realistically in ordinary local shops.
    Buds gun has them for $561.. includes tax and shipping. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

That's quite a bit, considering that a .38 can be had around $400

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    That's quite a bit, considering that a .38 can be had around $400
    I allready have three 38 special snubs... varierty is the spice of life my man. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    I allready have three 38 special snubs... varierty is the spice of life my man. bunker
    Can't argue with that

We have a PD series S&W as a rental and it has been flawless, not many of our rentals are after long term use. It shoots much better than the Kel Tec PMR we have that keyholes with everything. Some .22mags are sensitive to bullet weight so shop around. I think it's a good SD gun for the recoil sensitive, but I would prefer a SJHP, a FMJ, or one of the new loads made for personal defense over the super light, super fast varmint bullets.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Well, I would think a 22 magnum in a revolver would be a decent self defense gun. With the revolver you'd probably get, what, 9 shots? Not only that, but you wouldn't have the inherent reliability of feeding issues you'd get with an automatic. That is why I've always stayed away from 22 mag auto's. And with the 22 magnum, I think there is plenty of power there.
    With all due respect to the truly numerous experienced and tested opinions on this site, this is the inherent problem with DC: that you tolerate such unsubstantiated viewpoints that will get someone killed. No offense, but .22 is for shooting cans off fence rails, or killing a squirrel. If you're truly interested in saving your own life with a gun sometime in the face of the most extreme, gravest danger, please consider a service caliber round.

John mentioned the new Gold Dot load; there is also a new Hornady Critical Defense load out in .22 mag. I think one of those two new loads might make a dandy SD round for a BUG. I've had similar thoughts about the viability of the .22 mag in a light, short-barrelled revolver. Best,
    JD
    "In a world of compromise, some men don't." HK ad slogan from the 1980's.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links