22 Magnum S&W revolver - Page 3

22 Magnum S&W revolver

This is a discussion on 22 Magnum S&W revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I view the 22mag as a hunting round. I view 22 handguns as plinking guns and 22mag is too costly when compared to 22LR for ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 22 Magnum S&W revolver

I view the 22mag as a hunting round. I view 22 handguns as plinking guns and 22mag is too costly when compared to 22LR for plinking. I can shoot centerfire rounds cheaper than 22mag. Factor in rimfire reliability vs center reliability (ignition) and centerfire wins out for me. The only time I ever carry a rimfire for self protection is when it would be illegal to carry a centerfire (in the woods at night with a flashlight).
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    With all due respect to the truly numerous experienced and tested opinions on this site, this is the inherent problem with DC: that you tolerate such unsubstantiated viewpoints that will get someone killed. No offense, but .22 is for shooting cans off fence rails, or killing a squirrel. If you're truly interested in saving your own life with a gun sometime in the face of the most extreme, gravest danger, please consider a service caliber round.
    Thanks for your input... thats why we discuss things here, to get all viewpoints. "mouse guns" can certainly have an effective role in CCW, although i am not sure if i purchased a 22Mag that i would rotate it in my carry or not. I appreciate all the input that everyone has posted... we are all after the same goal... Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

If you can carry a .22 mag in complete concealment undetected (Consider a .22mag NAA revolver with pocket holster), and you can get to it quickly, safely, up and close bullet delivery. Why wouldn't you ? Your in the walmart parking lot and approched by an individual who wants your money or he will hurt you. Hes in your personal space. He says he has a knife but you don't see it. You deploy that NAA swiftly and put it over his heart or against his head with it cocked. Hes crapped his pants. Ask me how I know this.
    Its a different type of carry conceal, mind you. Up close and personal.
    Now if your going into a rough neighborhood, etc. its big bore centerfire time.
    Philly Boy and franco45 like this.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    If I were to get a .22 mag revolver, it would be a single action model with the .22 lr cylinder, too.

My little brother has a cheaper Heritage version, talk about super-happy-wonderful-fun time That thing is a ton of fun
    I have one of those too. I think brand new it was 170 bucks and came with both cylinders. Dollar for dollar, I think I've gotten more enjoyment out of it than any of my other guns. I plink with it and use it for rodents. The 22 mag wouldn't be my first choice for carry, especially in a gun this size, but for being sort of a cheapie, mines been very accurate.
    Last edited by alexcantslee; November 26th, 2011 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Misspelling
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

I'm considering the S&W 351pd for a carry piece. Maybe 12oz loaded. I am 70 years old and want something I can fire one handed or from flat on my butt ect. My idea is to get very good at close range SD. CCI is making some 22wmr for short barrel firearms . I have a Ruger S/A 22lr/22mag and I really like the 22mag. I believe if someone is hit a few times with a 22mag they will have had enough. I have a SP-101 357 and a GP-100 357 and a New Superblackhawk .44mag I love the black hawk just kinda heavy to tote.

Rich

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Well, I would think a 22 magnum in a revolver would be a decent self defense gun. With the revolver you'd probably get, what, 9 shots? Not only that, but you wouldn't have the inherent reliability of feeding issues you'd get with an automatic. That is why I've always stayed away from 22 mag auto's. And with the 22 magnum, I think there is plenty of power there.
    Really? I mean, really really?

Yes, a .22 is better than nothing, but no credible source advocates one as a first line choice for self defense. The .22 magnum loses a tremendous amount of performance out of a short barrel. In fact, out of a pistol the .22 magnum is very close to the .22lr in performance.

Can you defend your claim that the .22 mag is a "decent self defense gun"?
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I own the SW 351PD in 22 mag. it has an aluminum frame, 7 shot, and extremely light. typical rimfire trigger pull- kind if heavy. fairly accurate, zero recoil, extremely loud. fired cases will generally not extract- i push them out with a wooden dowel.
    i sometimes slip it in a coat pocket when i go out. is it adequate? i doubt it. fortunately i have not had to find out.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

For cheap fun, I've got an old H&R 922 (22lr) with 3" barrel (rare length) that is great to practice double action snub shooting. Surprisingly accurate. This one happened to belong to the pastor that baptized me when I was a child. It was his nightstand gun for over 50 years. He died several years ago at the ripe old age of 94 and my Dad bought it from his son and gave it to me. Still in good shape too.
    Attached Images
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I used to pretty well dislike the .22 Magnum for any purpose. Thought the ammunition was too expensive for what it was, a jazzed up .22 rim fire. Grew up around my dad's .22 Magnums. In recent years I've come full circle and feel more charitable toward it. The 40 grain .22 Magnum loads available 30 years ago would crank up 1300-1400 fps over the chronograph from my dad's Colt New Frontier with 4 3/8-inch barrel with good accuracy. It's loud. For self-defense, the .22 Magnum from a revolver would be much like shooting an assailant with a .22 rifle using high-velocity .22 Long Rifle ammunition but housed in a neat little concealable package.

I've never noticed any key-holing issues with my dad's revolver and the 40 grain loadings common back when I shot it on a fairly regular basis.

I don't buy into the popular illusion that it would equal a .38 Special in stopping power effectiveness but then it's all in where you put 'em so it could do the big job.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    For cheap fun, I've got an old H&R 922 (22lr) with 3" barrel (rare length) that is great to practice double action snub shooting. Surprisingly accurate. This one happened to belong to the pastor that baptized me when I was a child. It was his nightstand gun for over 50 years. He died several years ago at the ripe old age of 94 and my Dad bought it from his son and gave it to me. Still in good shape too.
    Love seeing that one. My cousin had (still has last time I asked) an H&R just like that one that he kept in his fishing tackle box. When we were teenagers we had a lot of fun afternoons at the lake cabin shooting cans, dirt clods, red ants, weed heads and whatever else we took a fancy to put a hole in with that H&R. It was neglected as far as maintenance but always worked great with probably no more than an annual spray-down of WD-40.

I think I almost had more fun with that old revolver on those summer days than anything since. Would like to have one like it just out of sentimentality.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

I have more fun with that one than most of my others. I've used it to teach my daughter how to shoot as well as introduced a few others to shooting revolvers with it. This one doesn't have the swing-out cylinder. You have to push the button on the frame and pull the cylinder pin and remove the cylinder and use the pin to push the cases out. That just kind of adds to the character and fun of shooting it. All of my buddies really enjoy shooting it as well. It really helped my double action snub shooting skills a ton. Great little practice gun.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i have a 351pd, 332 and the 642.

as an instructor i like to offer people that which they can make the best all around use of
    each of hte guns has the same 200 foot pounds of energy. different diameter bullets and different penetration
    and different handling charactersicis.

7 rounds of 22 mag, 6 of 32 H&R or 5 of 38 spl.

very kind to the wrist, for those with arthritis is the 351pd.
    your normal strong and willing to invest the time to practice--a 642 with 5 rounds of LSWC style( my style of choice) may fit ua fine.
    in the middle is 6 rounds or 32 H&R magnum.

any one of them will do the job if you do yours.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

"You have to push the button on the frame and pull the cylinder pin and remove the cylinder and use the pin to push the cases out."

Yup, that's the mighty H&R I knew and loved.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Really? I mean, really really?

Yes, a .22 is better than nothing, but no credible source advocates one as a first line choice for self defense. The .22 magnum loses a tremendous amount of performance out of a short barrel. In fact, out of a pistol the .22 magnum is very close to the .22lr in performance.

Can you defend your claim that the .22 mag is a "decent self defense gun"?
    Fact: .22LR is LETHAL. This is very well documented. Statistically, most SD shootings happen within less than 10 feet. At that range, a single well placed .22LR round can kill. 22WMR is much more effective at those ranges, even out of short barrels. Check the ballistics data, good ammo made for these pistols (2-3" barrels) is getting from 10-25% better velocity resulting in 25-50% more energy and better expansion. That equals more stopping power. Granted, in those situations under duress a well placed round is not likely except for well trained LEO and military that have experienced live fire. Still, the point of self defense is not necessarily to kill the assailant but to neutralize the threat. In many cases simply pulling the pistol will be enough to deter most would be assailants. Do I prefer a .22LR for personal SD, no but I would never force my wife or anyone else who is very recoil shy to move up to a larger caliber before they are ready. The shooter must be comfortable with the gun or things can go bad very quickly. That being said rim-fires are very picky so ammo choice is critical. Many highly credible trainers advocate .22 for SD for non-shooters (i.e. those that do not shoot for recreation). Three reasons, recoil, weight, and cost. Cheap ammo and low recoil means the trainee is more likely to continue to practice and become confident and comfortable with the weapon. Additionally, because of the low recoil, follow on shots are much quicker if necessary. Generally these guns are lighter, which makes trainees more likely to carry and continue carry. Bottom line is, what is right for you may not be right for someone else. A confident shooter with a .22 is better than an under-trained recoil shy shooter with a .44 Mag. Fundamentals are the killer, not caliber. Slow is fast, fast is smooth, smooth is quick. One shot, one kill.

Has anyone ever Checked the bullet speed out of a NAA 22 mag? Or a LR
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links