22 Magnum S&W revolver

This is a discussion on 22 Magnum S&W revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While it would not be my first choice for self defense I could see where it could come in handy for elderly or recoil sensitive ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 22 Magnum S&W revolver

That could leave a mark.

While it would not be my first choice for self defense I could see where it could come in handy for elderly or recoil sensitive individuals. I recently picked up a .22 snubbie for amusement and found it to be quite accurate. I can literally chase "plastic golf balls" down range as fast as I can pull the trigger, point shooting double action only. Realistically a human head would be a ....no brainer. First choice, no, but it could do the job if necessary. Ask James Brady if a .22 is dangerous, most of us are familiar with the Brady Bill I believe. President Reagan was no fan either. Talk about a .22 causing trouble. A .22 mag should give you a little more uumph if you were so inclined. If you just want one to have it , why not?

2. Remove Ads

I just purchased a 2" Taurus Ultra-Lite in 22 mag (model 941).
    I haven't shot it enough to offer opinions yet, but at 17 oz it's closer to what I am looking for carry in hot weather clothing.
    A better option would be the same pistol in 22 K-Hornet, as you could select ammo for deep penetration or frangible rounds.
    The 22 WMR is a very decent round in close quarters, augmented by virtually no recoil/muzzle flip.
    Machine a recess into the cylinder for a full moon clip and you are good for an 8-shot reload too.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Has anyone ever Checked the bullet speed out of a NAA 22 mag? Or a LR
    From a 1" pug

NAA Message Board: .22WMR Ballistics gelatin test report. Part 3 of 3: Recovered Bullets and Final Thoughts

Been kinda thinking of of a 22mag also but was thinking of an auto. Had forgotten about the little Smiths.
    A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hand.
    SENECA the younger
    Roman stoic philosopher
    4 B.C. - 65 A.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Blindeye View Post
    I just purchased a 2" Taurus Ultra-Lite in 22 mag (model 941).
    I haven't shot it enough to offer opinions yet, but at 17 oz it's closer to what I am looking for carry in hot weather clothing.
    Had a hard time finding a hard holster for my 941. Looked about the same size as my Taurus 85 so I checked it and with some modification to fit the 4" barrel, the Fobus holster for the 85 fits well. They're about $20 on Amazon...

to the OP: I dream of a pair of 38s at night.....
    The 22 LR gun with the j-frame would be useful to learning and practicing the proper stance, point of aim and trigger control using a lot cheaper ammo.
    22 Mag ammo is pricy in comparison.
    neither 22 would make a good defense weapon. 22 ammo is made for riflees which hhave an 18 to 24" barrel. The podwer does not fully burn in a 2" gun. My ruger single 6 convertable has LR AND Mag cylinders. I have shot gallon plastic jugs filled with water and theres not a lot of energy behind it. Even a .25 auto round has more energy out of a short barreled pistol.
    If its a j-frame you want, get a 642 or equivalent. Llight to carry, simple to operate, and with modern ammo, packs a punch. I own one and carry it

I often carry my NAA Black Widow as a bug. I have even carried it as primary when at the gym. It usually backs up my Colt Agent or Kahr CM9.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links