22 Magnum S&W revolver - Page 4

22 Magnum S&W revolver

This is a discussion on 22 Magnum S&W revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While it would not be my first choice for self defense I could see where it could come in handy for elderly or recoil sensitive ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: 22 Magnum S&W revolver

That could leave a mark.

While it would not be my first choice for self defense I could see where it could come in handy for elderly or recoil sensitive individuals. I recently picked up a .22 snubbie for amusement and found it to be quite accurate. I can literally chase "plastic golf balls" down range as fast as I can pull the trigger, point shooting double action only. Realistically a human head would be a ....no brainer. First choice, no, but it could do the job if necessary. Ask James Brady if a .22 is dangerous, most of us are familiar with the Brady Bill I believe. President Reagan was no fan either. Talk about a .22 causing trouble. A .22 mag should give you a little more uumph if you were so inclined. If you just want one to have it , why not?
    5lima30ret likes this.

I just purchased a 2" Taurus Ultra-Lite in 22 mag (model 941).
    I haven't shot it enough to offer opinions yet, but at 17 oz it's closer to what I am looking for carry in hot weather clothing.
    A better option would be the same pistol in 22 K-Hornet, as you could select ammo for deep penetration or frangible rounds.
    The 22 WMR is a very decent round in close quarters, augmented by virtually no recoil/muzzle flip.
    Machine a recess into the cylinder for a full moon clip and you are good for an 8-shot reload too.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Has anyone ever Checked the bullet speed out of a NAA 22 mag? Or a LR
    From a 1" pug

NAA Message Board: .22WMR Ballistics gelatin test report. Part 3 of 3: Recovered Bullets and Final Thoughts

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Been kinda thinking of of a 22mag also but was thinking of an auto. Had forgotten about the little Smiths.
    A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hand.
    SENECA the younger
    Roman stoic philosopher
    4 B.C. - 65 A.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Blindeye View Post
    I just purchased a 2" Taurus Ultra-Lite in 22 mag (model 941).
    I haven't shot it enough to offer opinions yet, but at 17 oz it's closer to what I am looking for carry in hot weather clothing.
    Had a hard time finding a hard holster for my 941. Looked about the same size as my Taurus 85 so I checked it and with some modification to fit the 4" barrel, the Fobus holster for the 85 fits well. They're about $20 on Amazon...

to the OP: I dream of a pair of 38s at night.....
    The 22 LR gun with the j-frame would be useful to learning and practicing the proper stance, point of aim and trigger control using a lot cheaper ammo.
    22 Mag ammo is pricy in comparison.
    neither 22 would make a good defense weapon. 22 ammo is made for riflees which hhave an 18 to 24" barrel. The podwer does not fully burn in a 2" gun. My ruger single 6 convertable has LR AND Mag cylinders. I have shot gallon plastic jugs filled with water and theres not a lot of energy behind it. Even a .25 auto round has more energy out of a short barreled pistol.
    If its a j-frame you want, get a 642 or equivalent. Llight to carry, simple to operate, and with modern ammo, packs a punch. I own one and carry it

I often carry my NAA Black Widow as a bug. I have even carried it as primary when at the gym. It usually backs up my Colt Agent or Kahr CM9.

With respect to the cost of .22 mag ammo, one thing that I've recently discovered is that the .25 caliber power loads (nail gun blanks) will fit in .22 mag chambers. You can combine one of these with a cast pure lead 0.225" bullet seated towards the front of the cylinder at a consistent depth for kind of a cap-and-ball type of loading. There are various power levels and some of the levels could exceed the safe levels for some firearms. I've done this with the .22 caliber power loads in a NAA mini-revolver and a couple of different rifles. I only got the .25 caliber power loads in the other day and although they do fit the .22 mag cylinder on the NAA, I have not had a chance to shoot them yet, but they do fit in the chamber. I already had a 0.225" 55 gr mold and was set up for casting, so there was no additional expenses for me to give this a try.

I stumbled across this thread as I was looking for info on a S&W 351C that I saw listed on one gun site. I know the thread is old, but I figured it was worth adding a comment about a way around the cost of .22 mag ammo.
    drift likes this.
    When you fill out your income tax forms at the end of the year, look and see how much money you have given the government throughout the year. Then, take a moment to ponder -- has the government done $X worth of stuff FOR you or TO you this year? I tend to believe the latter...

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Cant get enough revolvers! I lie in bed at night and dream about what new revolver i should get. Was thinking about adding a j frame 22 Mag for fun,? but was wondering about its effectiveness in self defense situations? thoughts on purchasing?? types of ammo? carry rotations? bunker
    I worked (2) homicides when I was a Detective where a .22 mag was used. One was a Ruger Single Six and the other I believe was a High Standard (long time ago ) Both were essentially DRT (dead right there). One dropped dead the other took about 2-3 steps before dropping dead. Both were COM chest shots at less than 15'. I don't recall the ammo used, but they did not have Gold Dots back then, which is what I would use if carrying a .22 mag. Just my .02 worth.
    AzQkr and royal barnes like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified
    Active Fraternal Order of Police member
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    My Dad had a chrome off brand 22 mag revolver, the loudest pistol I have ever shot. We killed a bunch of rabbits with it. Still have it and have not shot it since he passed. I think I'll get it out this weekend and see if she still shoots.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    I worked (2) homicides when I was a Detective where a .22 mag was used. One was a Ruger Single Six and the other I believe was a High Standard (long time ago ) Both were essentially DRT (dead right there). One dropped dead the other took about 2-3 steps before dropping dead. Both were COM chest shots at less than 15'. I don't recall the ammo used, but they did not have Gold Dots back then, which is what I would use if carrying a .22 mag. Just my .02 worth.
    Which is as we always say, "shot placement *counts*"... A .22 in the heart beats a .38 in the thigh.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    When you fill out your income tax forms at the end of the year, look and see how much money you have given the government throughout the year. Then, take a moment to ponder -- has the government done $X worth of stuff FOR you or TO you this year? I tend to believe the latter...

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Which is as we always say, "shot placement *counts*"... A .22 in the heart beats a .38 in the thigh.
    Yep, it goes without saying!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified
    Active Fraternal Order of Police member
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I always thought 22 Mag in a Revolver would be good for old folks or someone who can't physically Handel Recoil. As long as the trigger isn't too heavy.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    I always thought 22 Mag in a Revolver would be good for old folks or someone who can't physically Handel Recoil. As long as the trigger isn't too heavy.
    For my wife, the issue is weight / bulkiness. If it weighs too much or takes up too much of her purse space, she won't carry it. Of course, there's the issue of how should would actually *find* it in all the other stuff that is in her purse, but I won't go there. :) Of all the handguns that I have, the NAA mini-revolver in .22 mag is all I can get her to carry with any sort of consistency. She doesn't have a problem *shooting* any of my my larger handguns (although I have not given her any full power 10mm, .44 mag, or .45LC, or .460 Rowland loads). She has no problem with shooting any of the .40SW or .45ACP handguns that I own, but she would not be willing to actually *carry* any of them. As such, even a .22 mag that she will carry is better than a 9mm/.40SW/.38/whatever that she *won't* carry.

Using the .22 and .25 power loads in .22LR and .22 mag firearms as a sort of cap-and-ball type loading makes for cheap ammo when you can find the power loads at a good price. I've got a bit over 23K of those power loads that I've bought within the last year for experimenting.

Distinguished Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Well, I would think a 22 magnum in a revolver would be a decent self defense gun. With the revolver you'd probably get, what, 9 shots? Not only that, but you wouldn't have the inherent reliability of feeding issues you'd get with an automatic. That is why I've always stayed away from 22 mag auto's. And with the 22 magnum, I think there is plenty of power there.
    Yes....people don't realize how vicious a .22mag is, unless they have done some penetration testing. I have with my Ruger 9.5 inch barrel Single Six.
    .22 mag will routinely go ALL THE WAY THROUGH a 2x4! Where the .22LR will travel about an inch into it. If it is all I had, I would not be afraid
    to use the .22 mag for defense. My 2 cents.
    "The great object is that every man be armed."
    Patrick Henry

NRA Patron Member
    USCG Veteran

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links