Selecting a carry gun? kinda long sorry

This is a discussion on Selecting a carry gun? kinda long sorry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Starting out about 1 1/2 yrs. ago, I had no idea what to buy. So, of course, I shot different guns at the local range ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Selecting a carry gun? kinda long sorry

Starting out about 1 1/2 yrs. ago, I had no idea what to buy. So, of course, I shot different guns at the local range and settled on a PX4 Beretta Storm. Now, about ten guns later (!!), I have what you see below. it takes time to finally find the gun(s) you want, so be prepared to spend some extra money before you are through buying, trying different guns. Looks are not that important; reliability and your ability to shoot straight are the important things to have in any gun you choose. If you blow big bucks on your first gun, I can almost guarantee you it won't end there and then money will be the final factor in what you buy. Look around, try different types and calibers and good luck!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Thanks for all the input folks there is a lot of great peopleand info here I see. I can see the reason for the glock since I have shot it and ths savings cost on the gun as well. I know the 9mm is a good rnd with the right ammo. Also the extra costs that go along with it. I see others are just trying to help out and put out as many possabilities that you could go with. Thanks again.

I would suggest the Glock 19 for weight, durability, ease of use and carry-ability, not to mention it is about $400+ cheaper that your first two suggestions at around $500. They work, Navy Seals love them and they just don't break hardly. Using a hammer-forged octogonal barrel, it produces 200 more foot-pounds of impact force as well (although you cannot shoot lead bullets safely from them or any gun with this barrel type).

The Kimber is overpriced...get a basic Springfield Armory at much less cost that will shoot 1/2" groups at 25yrds for a .45 1911 variant. Kimbers are pretty, but you only need one shot from a Springfield, not to mention Springfield has been making them for the military probably before the Kimber people were born... Suggest you go to a range and rent/try several types of .45's before you buy one. They are infinitely customizable and can range from $400 to thousands. Personally, I would get a Springfield Armory parkarized 1911A1 version in full size and then add a Dyer Group Gripper kit (about $30 and best for price to increase accuracy) get few sets of Wilson springs in 16 to 18lb and a good set of grips you like. 400+ rounds is good amount to shoot each month...any more and you may want a set of Pachmyer grips to reduce recoil and hand fatigue.

If you choose the Sig Sauer (some call it the Cadillac of firearms), please take a look/shoot the P229 in 9mm. I think it might meet your criteria much better, as well as your hand, having a double-stack magazine with hi-capacity, along with compact carry ability. There are reasons that the Secret Service, cops and such use the Sigs...they don't fail, are tight as a Swiss watch and they are more accurate than most every handgun made. It's just more fun if you can hit the X in the center every time!
    Personally, I would get the Glock 19, a few mags, two good holsters, paint the front sight with a little luminious paint (like fishing lure paint) and save all the extra money for ammo and something tiny like a Ruger LCP in .380 or a LCR in .357 for backup. The Kel-Tec P11 is also nice for back up carry. It accepts the S&W 5900 series hi-capacity mags as well. Good luck, happy shooting and WELCOME to the Defensive Carry Forum.

If you want a 45 acp with little kick get a Beretta Px4 the rotating barrel, takes a lot of kick out of the shot.

I have been looking for the "perfect" CCW for the past couple of years.. I was also like you. I have experience with Glock from when I was an LEO but I really like the "1911" style pistol. After shooting dozens of pistols and buying about the same amount I have decided on.... 4 different ones!! The Glock is one of the most durable and tested pistols on the face of the earth. 90% of LE agencies use them (which says something). I decided on the G19 for its size, tach rail and clip capacity (not to mention its track record and super durable finish, etc). I also have a Sig P238, Springfield EMP 40 and a Kimber Eclipse Pro II.. I have each of these pistols for a specific reason and for me they shoot the best in each respective caliber. At least for me the Kimber is 10x the pistol of a SA standard 1911, although a "loaded" or TRP springfield would be equivalant. Unfortunately you probably won't be 100% satisfied with a CCW until you have spent some time carrying and shooting it.

If you did good with the Glock and liked it, why not get one ? Also for the price of a Kimber, you could get a Glock in 9mm and 45 ACP !
    If you must get a 1911 go with an STI ! They are simply the best 1911's on the market . If you cannot get access to one then consider a S&W, Ruger, or Springfield.
    In my opinion the S&W would be the best out of those three. The Rugers look nice and seem very sturdy but there isn't much info out on them yet because they are so new?
    I wouldn't say the Ruger would be a bad choice though ! If you want the cream of the crop STI, Les Baer, or Wilson is the way to go ! Don't worry about exterior extractor vs internal extractor. This is a minor debate and doesn't give or take away from a gun either way. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. A lot of 1911 purists wouldn't be caught dead with a 1911 with an external extractor. I personally think it's silly to refuse a well built, high quality gun just because of that. Glocks have external extractors and look how reliable they are, so it's a moot point don't worry about it.

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links