Selecting a carry gun? kinda long sorry

This is a discussion on Selecting a carry gun? kinda long sorry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a whole new world to me and man there are so many guns out there to choose from it's not funny. I used ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Selecting a carry gun? kinda long sorry

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar

Selecting a carry gun? kinda long sorry

This is a whole new world to me and man there are so many guns out there to choose from it's not funny. I used a friends G19 9mm to do my CHL class with and it went well. Now i'm ready to get get my own CG and practice, practice, and practice some more.

As far as guns and gunmakers go I want to go with either Kimber or Sig Sauer. I've never shot a 1911 but hear they are the cream of the crop and since I got a bonus at work why not start with the cream. They don't hold gobs of ammo like some of the poly guns do but then again I never want to have to use it (except for the range) anyway.

I've only shot a 9mm and never a 45acp so i'm kinda lost with the 45acp round. One question I have is, is there a lot more recoil from a 45acp than a 9mm? I want to be accurate with whatever I buy. If I can't shoot a specific caliber well then I don't want to use it. I want to be as proficiant as I can with my gun. I'm not worried about the cost of ammo since I will only be shooting 500 to 600 ronds a month. Is this an acceptable rnd count to practice with every month? If not what do you think is?

What are your thoughts on the two Mfgrs that I have listed for a carry gun? In the Kimber line I was looking at the Pro carry with Crimson trace laser grips. In the Sig line up I was looking at the C3 with crimson laser grips. They both run about the same price 949.00 for the Kimber and 899.00 for the Sig which is on sale right now untill the end of the month. The only reson i'm looking at the ones with the Crimson trace laser grips is just in case I find myself in a position where I can't get a good sight picture. Ex. like fallen to ground with the person near or over me or in a low light situation. Also another question the Kimber doesn't have a bushing and the Sig does, does this make a difference (bushing vs bushingless)?

I have seen a lot of reviews on the Kimber pro carry but not very many about the Sig C3. So does this mean the Kimber is better? There are also more holster options for the Kimber than the Sig C3. Most holsters I see for Sig 1911's say for the GSR guns or something like that, would that holster work for the C3? Thank you for any information that anyone may be able to help me with.

2. Remove Ads

If you shot it well, why not go with the G19? I'm not a Glock guy, but they are the measuring stick when it comes to dependability.

Honestly, if you are new to handguns I'd recommend holding off on a 1911. They require a little more care and consideration than a lot of the polymer pistols like the Glocks, S&W M&P's, and Springfield XD's. You can count on the aforementioned brands to work well right out of the box (after a clean and lube, of course), whereas a 1911 may need some tuning from a gunsmith to get it at 100%.

Regardless of the choice you make, be sure to try the gun you are thinking about buying before actually making the purchase. I learned that the hard way.

EDIT: If you are dead set on a 1911, check out Springfield Armory and Smith & Wesson. I'd consider both of those brands superior to comparable Kimbers and Sigs.
    Current armament:
    Ruger 10/22
    Remington 870 Express 20ga.
    S&W M&P40c
    S&W 642

Both are good choices if you ask me. As far as reviews go I dont pay them a whole lot of attention I prefer to shoot the gun myself or talk to someone whoowns one. 45 will have more recoil in a lighter gun like the procarry. As far as practice 500 the first month imho is a nice idea 3 ussally run 100 a month through my edc for practice and proficency.

VIP Member
    Glocks keep me happy, especially the 19 and 17.

You REALLY need to go to a range and rent a 1911 in 45ACP and fire it BEFORE you make that decision.

The 1911 is a fantastic platform but can be exasperating to strip the first few times.

Just because Kimber and Sig have at least a thousand ads in every gun rag does not mean they are what you should get.

For less than you're planning to spend, you could get one heck of a handgun that is just as accurate, has more rounds, is easier to carry, much easier to maintain than a 1911 right off the bat.
    I have lots of them, but they're not the ideal beginner carry gun. A Glock, Walther PPQ, XDM, M&P, would, IMHO, be a MUCH better starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Glocks keep me happy, especially the 19 and 17.
    Glocks have kept me very happy <10K rounds now. My flavors are the 23 and the 26

Kimbers and Sigs

I would agree that you should rent or borrow a .45 caliber 1911 and shoot it before you buy one. You might learn something that will influence your purchase. I think you will find that a .45 generally recoils more than a 9mm gun like the Glock 19. But the recoil is manageable and not a problem once you become accustomed to it.

I have a good opinion of both Kimbers and Sigs, and have one Kimber Pro Carry and five Sigs (although not a Sig 1911). If you are set on a 1911 for carry, the Kimber Pro Carry is not a bad choice. It is flat and easy to conceal, weighs about 28 ounces because of the aluminum frame, and mine has been reliable and accurate for me. Carrying a 1911 does require some practice and concentration to master the manual safety, which must be turned on before holstering and turned off on the draw before firing. You also need trigger finger discipline to stay off the trigger before you are on target, because the trigger tends to be light, with a short pull to fire.

Here's a photo of my Pro Carry, which I have carried in a Kramer belt scabbard holster:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Try a wide variety of pistols. Find a place to shoot a 1911 before you buy one. Personally, I would take a Springfield Armory Loaded model or Colt XSE 1911 before a Kimber or Sig 1911, but that is mostly personal preference. I have been carrying Springfield 1911's for about 5 years now for what it is worth.

Look at the Sig 220 too, it is a fine .45 pistol, on par with the 1911 in many aspects, but different.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies folks. It may be a learning curve but I am really set on a 1911 for my first gun. My buddy gave me the name of a range about a half hour from here that has a 1911 that you can rent. I'm gonna hit it tomorrow and give it a whirle.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    The allure of the 1911 is due to its design, near perfect ergonomics to the hand, accuracy, reliability and simple beauty.

It is almost infinitely tuneable to everyone who owns one.

Parts are easily found nearly anywhere that sells gun parts.

It is easy to maintain once you learn the take down procedures.

1911's are of the finest shooting pistols ever made and the feel of a well made 1911 in your hand is just something that cannot be accurately described to one who has never held a 1911.

I owned a Springfield 1911 until last year when I had to sell most of my firearms. I have had a pit in my stomach ever since.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Administrator
    Shop around and ask a lot of questions, you will get the straight scoop here if you read enough.

And ditch the laser idea. Learn to shoot a gun first, then worry about the goofy add ons.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member
    I'd say get a Glock 19, this gives you plenty of extra money to get about three holsters before you settle in on one you like. Plus ammo for practice and oh by the way a gun belt and extra magazine carrier.

It's not the guns but the add ons that $$ get you $$.

Plus you won't struggle cleaning the G19. Oh yes, add cleaning kit costs. And of course the cc permit(s) fees(s).

So starting with a modestly priced super dependable and accurate gun wouldn't be a bad thing.
    AZ Hawk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo View Post
    I'd say get a Glock 19, this gives you plenty of extra money to get about three holsters before you settle in on one you like. Plus ammo for practice and oh by the way a gun belt and extra magazine carrier.

It's not the guns but the add ons that $$ get you $$.

Plus you won't struggle cleaning the G19. Oh yes, add cleaning kit costs. And of course the cc permit(s) fees(s).

So starting with a modestly priced super dependable and accurate gun wouldn't be a bad thing.
    All good points here.

A NIB Gen 3 Glock 19 with taxes in Arizona is $540. A NIB Kimber Carry 1911 is $1,000 - $1,300 w/o taxes depending on which model you choose.

Premium holster, say Crossbreed SuperTuck - $ 50 - $100

Premium belt - $30 - $100

50 rd. box ammo, 9x19mm - $12

50 rd. box ammo, .45 ACP - $ 18

You can see where this is going.
    -------------------------------------------------

When you purchase a handgun you intend to carry, you have to purchase a carry kit along with it. This includes a GOOD (Note: GOOD) holster, and a GOOD belt. No, your department store belt WILL NOT cut it.

I'm not trying to discourage you from buying the Kimber, but you've already admitted to shooting the Glock well, so I'm just trying to save you a few hundred bucks.

If you want to buy the Kimber, DO IT. Just make sure you shoot it first before you randomly purchase it. You wouldn't be the first to purchase a gun without shooting it only to end up disliking it. Then again, you may end up liking it, too.

P.S. Don't rely on lasers.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

another factor to consider is weight. i used to own a RIA 1911 and occasionally carried it but after several hours, it got pretty heavy. My G19 feels much lighter with a full mag and my newest carry is a G36, single stack .45 acp. Its thin and lightweight so it carries very well and you still have the stopping power of a .45. As far as the round count, the difference is 1 to 2. The G36 holds 6+1 and the 1911 held 7+1 or 8+1 depending on the mag i was using. just something to think about if you truly want a .45 but also want to conceal it.

If you are set on a 1911 than that is what you should get. Everybody screams get a Glock no matter what the OP states he wants, Glocks are fine handguns, but get what you want. I have carried for years an have owned Glocks, but it is not the gun for everyone, nor is the 1911. I agree you should go rent one and try it first though, after shooting one you may decide against it. I have carried a 1911 for years and do not think they are any more uncomfortable to carry than some poly guns that are thick as a brick and hold a half a box of ammo. I also carry a M&P .45c at times, another fine weapon. In the 1911's I second the Sprinfield recommendation, and I would also check out Rugers new offering, that is what I will be getting next. One more thing to check out is RIA's 1911, I have shot a few,and they are quite nice for the price. Try before you buy, this is the best advice I can give. Good Luck, and what ever you decide on prctice alot.
    Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links