Defensive Carry banner

Glock 18 Full-Auto...WoW.

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  DefConGun 
#1 ·
Just got through watching Larry Vickers shoot a Glock 18 on "Tac TV". I've never even heard of a Glock 18. For those that do not know, it is an automatic pistol that has a selector that will allow it to go from semi-auto to full auto.

When Vickers shot it, he was using the isosceles stance. When using this stance, the shots move upwards and off target. Vickers then tried the old Weaver stance and kept his groups within reason, albeit they were high, etc.

I'm not sure how practical the full-auto mode is given that it shoots so fast that you will be out of a hi-cap mag in little to no time. Irrespective of some of the problems that some of us might have shooting a weapon like this using its full potential, its an awesome gun, to say the least.

I'll have to do some searching and see what these things run even though I'll never be able to get one.

My world just got a little bigger.

DCG

#2 ·
Full auto applications are mostly useful to personal protective type folks, and entry teams. Virtually no use for civilians.

I'm not sure any of them were ever imported for civilian use actually.

Mag life can be extended through short, controlled bursts.

Reactions: Philly Boy
#8 ·
That 33rd mag goes WAY too fast. If you have Netflix, watch 'Lock and Load with R. Lee Ermy'. He has a lot of fun with an '18. I think it's around 1200 rds/min.

Just got through watching Larry Vickers shoot a Glock 18 on "Tac TV". I've never even heard of a Glock 18. For those that do not know, it is an automatic pistol that has a selector that will allow it to go from semi-auto to full auto.

When Vickers shot it, he was using the isosceles stance. When using this stance, the shots move upwards and off target. Vickers then tried the old Weaver stance and kept his groups within reason, albeit they were high, etc.

I'm not sure how practical the full-auto mode is given that it shoots so fast that you will be out of a hi-cap mag in little to no time. Irrespective of some of the problems that some of us might have shooting a weapon like this using its full potential, its an awesome gun, to say the least.

I'll have to do some searching and see what these things run even though I'll never be able to get one.

My world just got a little bigger.

DCG
I think they run around $1K+.

#3 ·
The G18 is indeed a cool weapon. But I prefer deliberate, aimed semi-auto fire. Full auto is only useful against a large group of armed perps, IMO. It's only real practical use would be some military firefights or a zombie apocolypse.

#12 ·
Can't even imagine what the cost would be to shoot this gorilla more than once a year! :blink:

#13 ·
We employ the G 18 for our sheild man,we ran a mp 5 for years,the g18 was lighter even with the 33 round mag,more manuverable,and faster rate of fire,and it only cost our dept. about $1100.00.

#18 ·
I think it would stave off attackers if you found yourself held up in your bedroom or any other room of your house and one or more guys are trying to come in on you. Ammo holding out, you could hold them off until the calvary arrives. Now is it likely that this would ever happen? I doubt it and if you had this, I'm sure you'd be tempted to go on the offensive as opposed to the defensive.

Mostly I just thought that this is a great gun and perhaps I should've posted it in "off topic" given that this isn't really intended to be a carry defensive gun. On the other hand, however, it does have a selector that allows it to go to semi-auto and in that capacity it is every much of a carry defensive gun as any other semi-auto. The only difference is the bang switch that allows it to go all-out. Really, its not much different than a street car with a switch that either allows NOS or a supercharger to kick in and add a few hundred more horse power. Just because you have the ability, doesn't mean you have to use it. In a defensive situation, there's no reason why you couldn't use it in semi-auto mode.

#19 ·
I dont think civilians can own one because they are post 1986 made. You can only buy full autos built and registered prior to 1986. Glock 18s didnt exist then.

Google it. You can do uzis, skorpions, etc. if you want a machine pistol.

Any NFA item will be $$$$$

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.