New gun on the way

This is a discussion on New gun on the way within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I ventured out today and handled as many guns as I could, and I even shot a few as well. I started with a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New gun on the way

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar

New gun on the way

Well I ventured out today and handled as many guns as I could, and I even shot a few as well. I started with a Glock 19 which I have already shot before. Gave the M&P a whack, tried a SR9, and then shot a SA 1911 in 45acp (not sure about the 45 though) and man was it an expensive day. I still like the 1911 style (god help me if I choose wrong) the best. I also looked at cost of holsters, belts, cleaning kits, ammo, and spare mags. Well heres what I ended up with today.

1) I stuck with the 9mm, I feel that I can shoot that best. (shot placement is the key)
    2) For a belt I took the measurements and went with a Wilderness. (ordered today)
    3) Holster did not get but looking at either Tucker HF1, Galco, or Highnoon.
    4) Picked up cleaning kit.
    5) Ordered a Woolrich vest. (will be carrying OWB)
    6) Picked up some ammo. ( 1 box federal, 1 box wwb, 1 box remington)
    7) Looking for best extra mags to buy.

With everything I did and everything I ordered today it cut into my gun money so I had to put the gun in layaway and will have it out hopefully in the next two months. I know everyone has a certian type of gun or mfg that they like better than others and thats a good thing because thats what makes us all different. Mine was based on style, how it felt in the hand, along with the extras it had plus the reviews both good and bad. All I ask is that you not flame me to bad for my decision. It was not an impulse buy, I spent several weeks looking, comparing, and asking questions, some will be ok with my choice others will not but in the end I have to live with it. Thank you again for all your help with this. And in the end I ended up getting a.......................Kimber Aegis Pro in 9mm

Wally World asked if the ammo was for a handgun. Me being a little stinker becuse I was in a good mood said to the man at the counter with a really confused look on my face, of course not this is for my new shotgun. I thought he was gonna have a stroke (LOL)
    Last edited by OhioCatter; November 15th, 2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Ammo comment

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My motto is: Make a decision; live with the consequences. You've made yours. I hope all works out to your expectations. There's no one else you need to please.
    SFury likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If you bought a gun that you shoot well enough to trust with your life, then you made the right choice. Don't have any regrets about that.

Some great responses so far. Kudos to you for doing a lot of research and finding what is best for you. I'm an unofficial minister for the Church of GLOCK so my first instinct is to recommend the GLOCK 19 but I see that you have at least tried it and it didn't work for you. I will be merciful and will not condemn you this time. Best of luck with the Kimber! Don't tell the congregation but I do have a soft spot for 1911 pistols.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

The reason I didn't go with the G19 is I have smaller hands and it just felt a little fat. I'm not against Glock by any means, I like my buddies G19 and i'm sure i'll be shooting it some more. Who knows if I ever find one used cheap i'd probably buy it.

Here is what it looks like...

Somebody should post a picture of the Kimber Aegis Pro, so I did below. It sure is an attractive gun.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Thanks pogo2, never thought about posting a picture of the gun. When i get it out i'll try to post a pic of it. Not to computer savey so i'll see what happens.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Is this gun supposed to be reliable? It's certanly good looking.

My local gunsmith has three of those, he said he his happy he chose them because he doesn't get paid to fix his own guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
    My local gunsmith has three of those, he said he his happy he chose them because he doesn't get paid to fix his own guns.
    Does your local gunsmith have his own store as well? If so, would you like to list his stores name as well? I'm sure people would like to know who he is so they know to stay away from him. If he sells unreliable guns to customers just so he can charge them to fix them is just kind of shady in my opinion. If I miss iterpited your post I apologize, If not I let my comment stand. You always have people who dislike certian brands or love certian brands and most of their comments are made in that regard. Good or bad a gun is a gun and I respect the choices others make. For your GS to make a comment like that shows how closed minded he is or how greedy for money he is. It's a shame to see that. I hope some day he see's the good in all the guns just like he see's the bad.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Congrats on the new shooter.
    Everyday is good, but some days are even better. A new gun day always falls into the better catagory.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

WOW, I guess I need to be more clear or stop posting after being up for 18 hours. First he is a gunsmith that owns his own shop and does not sell any firearms of any kind only repairs them. I guess I should have been more clear also about the fact that he personally OWNS three Aegis Kimbers as some of his personal weapons along with several other Kimbers and just about every other brand. He is very very happy in his personal choice to buy the Aegis models because over the time he has owned them they have never once malfunctioned. Thus the statement he does not get paid to fix his own guns, he spends his time fixing customer guns and getting paid not worrying about his personal weapons because they have been so reliable.

I guess next time I will just limit my statement to, nice gun I am sure you will like it.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    Is this gun supposed to be reliable? It's certanly good looking.
    I've heard more bad news than good with 9mm 1911s.

Just sayin.'
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Congrats on you new pistol. I hope it runs like the energizer bunny for you. :)
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Thanks for the clarification DD thats why I put an apology in there just in case I misinterpited your post. I do apologize once again it was not meant as a personal attack towards you or your GS. I had talked to a shady kinda guy GS owner and it tends to rub me the wrong when I see things like that. I'm glad he has had no problems with his and it does make me feel about my choice. Thanks again and sorry, the last thing I want to do in this forum is make waves because it really spoils it for everyone including myself. I am hear to learn from good people and want to also be able to help new people as they come in. Ya'll have a good one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links