S&W J-Frame Owners - Anyone ever put the lock back in? - Page 2

S&W J-Frame Owners - Anyone ever put the lock back in?

This is a discussion on S&W J-Frame Owners - Anyone ever put the lock back in? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by azchevy with locks, I just disengage them then put a small small small drop of loc tite in it to ensure it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: S&W J-Frame Owners - Anyone ever put the lock back in?

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    with locks, I just disengage them then put a small small small drop of loc tite in it to ensure it doesnt engage then test for function.

+1 ALL the way.

I have only 2 of the Smiths that originally had...locks, a 340PD and a 625JM. I removed them both, replaced them with THE PLUG
    Right. My Smiths are pre-locks, but I've been considering adding a 638 2.5in. and have the lock removal procedure filed and know where to order the plug for the frame. This is such a simple operation and so easy to do. Anybody melping and meeping and whinging about "punishing" S&W over the matter is just cutting off their nose to spite their own face.

I always buy new guns, fresh in the box, and never sell them. Removing mag disconnect safeties and anything else that's bothersome is simply part of making your weapons conform to your needs. I have no patience for people who demand that their every prejudice and peccadillo be catered to.

Fact is, no gun is perfect, and you either accept it the way it is or you add some effort and get it where you need it to be. It's the same way with bladed and other weapons too. They are extensions of your mind and they must suit you perfectly if they are to do their job.

Personally, the number-one hands-down non-negotiable item is ergonomics. The gun must fit your hand and feel like it's a part of your body. Other factors come into play from there. The 638, with its high backstrap, DA/SA options, balance, accuracy and reliability are what keep me looking for a good deal on one.
    helderberg likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    with locks, I just disengage them then put a small small small drop of loc tite in it to ensure it doesn't engage then test for function.
    Where does one apply this Loctite? (Red Loctite, I presume.)

I am the happy new owner of a new S&W 638 with a lock. I want to permanently disable the lock without in any way compromising the reliability of my revolver. I understand from reading other posts on this forum that simply removing the nub on the flag can result in a jammed revolver. I understand that grinding down the nub is a viable solution and I'm willing to do that.

What is this "The Plug" and where do I find one?

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Where does one apply this Loctite? (Red Loctite, I presume.)

I am the happy new owner of a new S&W 638 with a lock. I want to permanently disable the lock without in any way compromising the reliability of my revolver. I understand from reading other posts on this forum that simply removing the nub on the flag can result in a jammed revolver. I understand that grinding down the nub is a viable solution and I'm willing to do that.

What is this "The Plug" and where do I find one?
    Unless aesthetics are a real concern for you I wouldn't bother plugging the hole. Simple removal of the flag won't compromise the reliability of your revolver assuming you get the gun back together properly. My locks may or may not have ever malfunctioned but for my peace of mind the flags came out with no negative effect at all on the gun's functionality.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Having gone the tinker and custom route earlier in my shooting life I pretty much just leave everything stock anymore.

Messing with stuff you don't understand completely is an invitation to a problem.

I did make it a point to find a 442 without a lock though.

Jim

VIP Member
    All of my Smiths are pre-lock and I refuse to buy one with unneeded useless locks.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    All of my Smiths are pre-lock and I refuse to buy one with unneeded useless locks.
    I used to be the same way. Then one day I spotted a 7 shot 686 in the case at Sportsman's Warehouse and it seemed I had to have that gun. Problem was it had that lock. I thought and thought and the more I thought the more the "nose/face" analogy seemed to apply. I made the decision to go ahead and get it. It was a winner out of the gate but, in time I did perform the flag removal surgery on it anyway. I prefer no lock but I won't let the lock break the deal if I really want a new Smith.

I am going to just file the nub off the locking flag. It is a bit of a bother but not a deal-breaker.

To disable the lock is just too easy, and it really has no ill effects and doesn't impede the function of the revolver. Put it back; WHY? By disabling it you made a good weapon even better. My locks are gone and they'll stay that way. If I want my revolver to be safe, or any firearm for that matter. I'll make my trigger finger straight.
    wmhawth likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

What lock?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links