deep cover guns - Page 2

deep cover guns

This is a discussion on deep cover guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a PM40 an the more I shoot it the more I love it. Initially I had some problems but a trip back to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: deep cover guns

I have a PM40 an the more I shoot it the more I love it. Initially I had some problems but a trip back to the factory fixed them. I didn't want to suggest it b/c NS said they were a no go. But since everbody else is.

NS you made it really hard to give any usefull suggestions. Nothing smaller than 9mm +P, no J-frames, no Kahrs or Kel-Tecs. Nearly everthing designed for deep concealment is disqualified. As far as I know only the Rohrbaugh fits and I don't know if it is +P rated. Anything else thats small and capable of +P is double stack and thats not really condusive to deep concealment.

Why do you not like anything less than 9mm+P? Why does it have to be rated for +P? It seems like for such a small gun that you wouldn't want the extra recoil. Not trying to instigate anything here just want to know. Some people think if it don't start with "4" than it won't stop anybody. Others carry .22lrs as primarys. I am in the middle and will gladly carry anything from 32acp to 45acp.

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    NS you made it really hard to give any usefull suggestions.
    were it easy, i probably wouldnt have needed to ask.

Why do you not like anything less than 9mm+P?
    as common as meth and X are getting, i just dont have confidence in anything less than 9mm +P, and even that is considered last resort. while i dont believe it has to start with a 4 (if a hot .357 magnum wont stop your target there isnt much that will), i do feel that you need at least 400 ft. lbs. of energy to be effective against big, mean bad guys.

I am in the middle and will gladly carry anything from 32acp to 45acp.
    i wish i could feel the same way. one of my local dealers has a beautiful ppk/s NIB for $489. it would fit every criteria i have.....except for the lack of energy.

how about this gun (springfield 1911 ultra-compact).....

in this holster (fobus ankle rig)?

Glock 27!! Is there any other choice from your specifications?
    I'll be your Huckleberry!! I have two guns! One for each of you!

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!

Quote Originally Posted by scout308 View Post
    Glock 27!! Is there any other choice from your specifications?
    except for the specification where i said i didnt want to buy another glock.

glocks are great weapons and i continue to swear by them....im just waiting on the next generation to come before purchasing another. i believe (ok, im hoping) that the next generation glock will have replacable back straps which will hopefully correct the awful grip angle.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalSelection View Post
    except for the specification where i said i didnt want to buy another glock.

glocks are great weapons and i continue to swear by them....im just waiting on the next generation to come before purchasing another. i believe (ok, im hoping) that the next generation glock will have replacable back straps which will hopefully correct the awful grip angle.
    Take a look at Steyr. I picked up the ir M series (4" barrel) and can't wait to take it home, but they also have an S series which is IIRC 3" barrel.

erh

Lightbulb I prefer "Pocket Carry..!"

I've "Never Been" a great fan of "Ankle Carry;" whatever the case though, I'd always say you can't go wrong w/ a Seecamp (.32 or .380) or an R9 or R9s Rohrbaugh. Just be sure to run allot of rounds through them 1st..!
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Magnum Research compact Baby Eagle might be worth a look. As has been mentioned, you might also consider one of the small 1911s. I have the Kimber Ultra CDP II, and carry it as my primary CCW. I've also looked at the Springfield and Para Ordnance compacts, and they are also fine weapons. Perhaps a Warthog?
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    One I've not seen mentioned is the Taurus PT111. They are very capable pistols, carry 12+1, are small enough for ankle carry and can handle +P ammo. They are also quite affordable and have a lifetime warranty.

If you wanna go with a little bigger caliber you might think about the PT140

I know a few people that ankle carry the PT111 and they swear by it.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Ya know, a Smith & Wesson 340PD would be a dandy choice, too. Come to think of it, I should get one of those for me!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

the s&w model 36/60 is the ankle gun. i have had one one my ankle as the backup for 16 years. no matter what crap that get inside the gun while it is on your ankle, the gun will go bang, and i know all about this. look for a good used s&w, you can not go wrong.

well... if you liked the XD 9 SC, why not get a slightly bigger punch in the Xd 40 SC? same frame size, etc. kinda heavy but i have no problems keeping my XD 9 SC on my ankle (sometimes i wear my bersa .380 there instead). take off the pearce grip extensions and that thing all but disappears on the ankle.

NS, take a look at the Smith and Wesson "Chief Special" series of semi-auto's. You will probably have to find a nice used one on GB as I am not sure that they are still in production. They are in 9/40/45 and are quite small.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=53979811

Also, I am not sure if you can carry single action but there is always the Detonics Combat Master, which is an extremely small 45ACP.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=54639081

I know you said in your original post that you did not want a j-frame but something to consider is the Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 special.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=54500366

Also is the Para-Ordinance Warthog series of pistols as well as their LDA series;

Warthog
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=54233245

Para Carry LDA
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=54540855

There may be more but most of these should be aptly suited for ankle carry although some may be slightly heavier than what you want but a good quality ankle holster should help that.

Regards
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

For deep cover the width of the pistol has to be taken into account, to have less "print" visible. Imagine being at a engagment and someone asking you what do you have in your pocket?

I vote for Rohrbaugh or Kel tec.

vmo
    One more vote for the Kahr. I've got a K40 Covert that is the size of a PPK, just a skosh wider, but a lot heavier. With carry loads the extra weight is appreciated, never had a stoppage after the 200 rd break-in (actually about 125), just a really great gun. Just a little heavy for an ankle holster though (walk in circles), but great on a belt or iwb.

Vmo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links