deep cover guns

deep cover guns

This is a discussion on deep cover guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ive been searching for a deep cover ankle gun for some time now, but i just cant find anything that makes a strong enough impression ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deep cover guns

deep cover guns

ive been searching for a deep cover ankle gun for some time now, but i just cant find anything that makes a strong enough impression on me to commit.

first i was having a tough time deciding between a g26 (9mm) and a g31 (same size, but in 357 auto). im hesitant because im beginning to wonder if i want to buy another glock. although they are amazing weapons, i already have 3 and my only complaint is consistant with them all......i just dont like the grip angle. i dont want to buy another gun that will make me say "this would be the perfect weapon if the grip angle were better".

i looked at the walther p99c, but i dont care for the QA trigger system. the 3 stage AS trigger wasnt all that great, but i definately prefer it to the QA which is the only variant available now, im told. even if i could find a left-over AS trigger variant, the weapon overall isnt much smaller than the fullsize p99.

the XD9 subcompact made a strong showing. the overall package seems good, but in the end it just doesnt really "do it" for me. i may reconsider this, but at this point im still looking for something else.

although the perfect size, ive heard of to many failures to consider a kahr, i dont like anything by kel-tec, and i dont like j-frame size revolvers. i want at least 9mm +P, or else i would buy a ppk/s.

.....any recommendations?
    thanks,

Try the Kahr PM9. I love mine, and it is very easy to conceal. I would also look at Rohrbaughs. Even smaller, and still in 9mm.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Quote Originally Posted by GlockinItUp View Post
    Try the Kahr PM9. I love mine, and it is very easy to conceal. I would also look at Rohrbaughs. Even smaller, and still in 9mm.

+1 fpr Kahr

9mm, 40 . or even .45 acp

perfect for ankle applications (which I don't prefer, but thats me)

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

sp101 .357, G29 10mm, Taurus 85 ultralight ss .38 special to name a few...

I have a XD-9 SC and I truly love it, but I will say it might be a bit too big for the ankle holster. If you really want something you can strap on your ankle comfortably, the XD-9 SC is probably not the best choice. I'd probably look at one of the Kel-tec'sor NAAmini Guardian's. (The semiautos, I mean)

http://www.naaminis.com
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

Kel-tec P11 would probably do the job. However, I don't think they can handle +p ammo very well. At least not w/o changing the springs and the guide rod.

Sig 239, CZ Rami, Bersa 9mm or 45, SP 101. Since it is for ankle carry the MK series of Kahrs might work well. They are the micro compact metal framed Kahrs and have had far less problems.

The Sig 239 is slightly longer and taller but is thinner so it shouldn't be any more difficult to ankle carry.

Im partial to the P11 and Keltec states that it's weapons will accept +p ammo with limited use. meaning fire a mag or two when you go to the range of +P and allow that to be your carry ammo. Some P11people swear by Santa Barbara ammo(FMJ) and replace recoil springs after 200 rounds, seems like overkill to me especially if you have Wolff after market recoil springs like myself (20lbs).
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

The Sig 239 is slightly longer and taller but is thinner so it shouldn't be any more difficult to ankle carry.
    I've got a couple P239s and I have to say that would never consider it for ankle carry. Too big and too heavy for me. YMMV.

Not much bigger than the guns he initially mentioned. I could mention some more such as the NAA guardian, Seecamp, Sig 232, PPK, Bersa Thunder 380 CC, or KT's that would work much better but NaturalSelection stated that 9mm was a minimum caliber.

I'm just trying to stay within the guidelines of NS's question.

Well, in the S&W thread somebody mentions the compact M&P that looks to be about the same size as a G26.

I just bought an HK P2000sk because I too, find the Glock grip ange to be hard to get used to. It's a bit bigger, but not by much. My comparison thread of the two is a little ways down in this forum.

You may also consider a grip reduction for the Glock, lots of people do it that don't like the grip angle...

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    I'm just trying to stay within the guidelines of NS's question.
    which is appreciated. i do appreciate everyones efforts to help me so i hope you dont get the wrong idea.....but as i said in my original post im just not at all interested in anything from kahr or kel-tec, and i want to try something a little different than the glocks that i swear by.

this isnt something that i will carry daily. i want it strictly for those times when i absolutely cannot afford to be "made" but cannot afford to disarm either. 9mm +P is the minimum caliber that i would even consider carrying, otherwise it would be an easy choice (ppk/s).

i tried a fanny pack on yesterday and ill probably get one anyway, but feel this would draw more attention than i would want so fullsize deep cover isnt really an option for me either.
    thanks again,

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I'll back up the Kahr's. You can get them from 4" to small size. Why carry a fat Glock on your ankle, or a heavy Sig or a 380 or a Kel-Tech with a harsh trigger? For a deep cover gun you simply cant beat a Kahr in 9 or 40. Light, dependable, accurate and flat. Great fit on an ankle or pocket.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I have a Kahr pm9 and a Glock 26. For pocket, ankle or other types of deep concealment I would go with the Kahr. I bought my Kahr for just that "Deep Concealment" when wearing slacks and tucked sports shirts. The Glock is a better pistol in some respects, but I can feel the difference when carrying it. I have 600 rounds through the pm9 and have found it to be reliable and accurate. NO Failures of any kind with 6 different brands of ammunition fed through it including cci blazer aluminum casings.

J.S.

VIP Member
    I'm partial to the Kahr PM9 and P9 Covert (and P9) which would all make outstanding deep cover pistolas.

I own a Walther P99c AS....I think it's an underrated gun that is every bit as good (and compact) as the G26/27. Personally, I love the Anti Stress trigger option on the P99, which you can still find on Gunbroker, Gunsamerica, and Auction Arms. The Walther Quick Action is pretty good, but in that type of trigger action (a la Glock), I prefer Steyr's triggers.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links