Looking for a new Pistol

This is a discussion on Looking for a new Pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have recently been looking at a Hi Point 40SW. I was wondering if anyone out there has any knowledge as to the reliability of ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By matthew03
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By Philly Boy
  • 1 Post By Rhcmlc
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Looking for a new Pistol

Looking for a new Pistol

I have recently been looking at a Hi Point 40SW. I was wondering if anyone out there has any knowledge as to the reliability of it. Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Unless you are absolutely strapped for cash and can't even afford a good used 'name' gun, I suppose Hi Point is OK. Far better stuff out there, though
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I'd look at the used market before I purchased a Hi Point. There are much better quality police trade in's that have been carried a lot and shot very little that will offer you better performance and value.
    TN_Mike likes this.

VIP Member
    Speaking from experience, I can't say enough bad things. I would recommend at any other brand over that.
    TN_Mike likes this.

I'd buy a Taurus before I'd buy a Hi Point. please, consider something with some good reputation behind it. I don't know what a Hi Point Piece of cra- er, gun is selling for these days but, you can buy a Ruger SR9 for about $400, a Ruger P95 for about $320 and there are a tone of others out there that are good quality guns. Hi Point is NOT a good quality gun. Don't waste your money on them.

The two Ruger prices I got in less than a minute buy going to to GunBroker and doing a quick search for each.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

The Bersa is a good, reliable and inexpensive gun. Take a look at one--- it's worth your time.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

If I had to choose between a Hi Point and a hammer... I'd pick the hammer
    Gunslinger19 likes this.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

In the ~$200 range, you might consider a CZ-82 (9x18mm). I friend of mine has a high point, and though I've only dry fired it, I can say with absolute certainty that it is a crude pistol.

for not a lot more money you can get either the Keltec P11 10+1 9mm or the Keltec PF-9 9mm. I carry both, and they are a good little pistols for the price. Totally reliable after the break in period, and now I'll sound like a gun magazine writer: " I would trust my life with either."

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    If I couldn't afford anything else...I couldn't get past the UGLY to buy a High Point!!!
    Proud NRA member

In this case the statement " You Get What YOU Pay For ", is true !!
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I would look at Summit gun broker and see if I can get a police trade in Glock. It will be more reliable than a Hi-Point.

I actually used to own a Hi Point when I first got into guns and needed something cheap to try out and decide if this was something I wanted to get into more. Generally Hi Point gets a bad rap because they are ugly and cheap, but honestly, the one I had was pretty darn reliable. Of the folks here who are knocking them, I can guarantee you 99% of them have never held one, much less shot one. They're just regurgitating what they've read online and haven't formed an opinion for themselves from first hand experience.

That being said, you're probably better off saving a little more money and getting a gun with better warranty and customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    I would look at Summit gun broker and see if I can get a police trade in Glock. It will be more reliable than a Hi-Point.
    Summit has good prices, but the OP is from here in Ga. By the time he pays for the gun, shipping, FFL transfer fees and taxes, he could just about buy a new gun locally.

VIP Member
    I guess it depends on what your looking for. If your looking for a good durable defensive weapon, keep looking. There are plenty of better choices than Hi Point.

If your looking for a paperweight or a boat anchor, then the Hi Point is a good choice.
    Rhcmlc likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links