Advice on having a grip reduction on my Glock???

This is a discussion on Advice on having a grip reduction on my Glock??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have decided, since I rarely carry my G23 anymore since buying the CW9, that I may as well do what I have wanted ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Advice on having a grip reduction on my Glock???

Advice on having a grip reduction on my Glock???

So I have decided, since I rarely carry my G23 anymore since buying the CW9, that I may as well do what I have wanted to do for a very long time now and have a grip reduction done on the old Glock. I've looked at a few sites that do this, the most notable being Bowie Tactical Bowie Tactical Concepts Pictures Page, and I was wondering if anyone out there has had this done and by whom?

Any recommendations or advice?

I just want to be able to grip my 23 without it feeling like I am holding a 2X4. I'd like the trigger reach reduced so it is more comfortable and the grip contoured.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Advice? If you are holding the best combat pistol ever made and it absolutely won't fit you....then by all means have it altered to where it does fit you. Glock on and keep it simple! Seeking less will make things more complex.

OK, I like you Ram Rod, I really do but.....is there any advice, like on who to have it done by and such, by someone who isn't a Glock-extremist out there? Maybe someone who does own some other guns and has some thoughts?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    I have seen and handled Mr. Bowie's work first-hand, and it is amazing. If you do have him do a grip reduction on you Glock, you will likely find yourself carrying it again, regularly.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    OK, I like you Ram Rod, I really do but.....is there any advice, like on who to have it done by and such, by someone who isn't a Glock-extremist out there? Maybe someone who does own some other guns and has some thoughts?
    I was admiring a particularly nice tricked-out M&P in Mr. Bowie's shop.

My serious advice? Do it yourself. Compare the cost of having someone else do it and the price...then the possibility it still won't fit. You could buy the tools and find the time way cheaper than having it farmed out. If that's what you've gotta do.

Have you looked at a trade for a Gen4 G23, without the back strap add ons? That and maybe some skate board tape or rubber grips and I'd bet you'd be exactly where you want it. Bringing your finger in closer to the trigger and dramatically increasing the face of the mag release make it much more manageable for those with smaller hands.

If you're on GlockTalk there's a guy there that posts a bunch of photos of his grip work, TexasPOff This is the kind of stuff he does Extreme Reduction Comparo - Glock Talk Glock Talk - View Single Post - A 17 with a 26 grip reduction? It's not my cup of tea so I've got no idea, but I know he is active and has photos of his work and folks over there that can fill you in on their experience, so he's at least easy to research.

If you're going to DIY find some plastic of similar consistency to the polymer and practice, there's some wood staining iorns with pointy tips that people seem to like for doing their own twist on RTF.

And remember it's kinda like a tattoo, be darn sure it's what you want cause you're pretty much going to be stuck with it. Though I've heard of a few long laborious processes to fill in reductions and even more that have gone and ordered new frames from Glock and gone through all the FFL paperwork.

Glock Certified Armorer

How much reduction are you looking for? A little or full blown squared off hump and finger grooves gone? The reason I ask is that it's really easy to make small alterations yourself with a soldering iron. I grip stippled mine and I could see easily being able to remove some of the grip in the process. Looking on the net, a full grip reduction is a much more serious endeavor. If you could get what you want within the confines of the material on the gun it's pretty straight forward. If you need to build up the material for more grinding room, I'm no help.

The main problem with DIY is getting over the fact that your getting ready to seriously alter a perfectly fine firearm. After that, it's kind of cool. BTW, I like the finger grooves and the grip so I left it mostly intact. But the finger grooves should be pretty easy to work off the grip. The hump on the back is a whole different beast.

Wow, and sorry for the crappy late night flashed out pic.

I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

DSC_0041.JPG
    DSC_0052.JPG
    DSC_0045.JPG
    My G36 Reduction done bt Cold Bore Customs
    Nothing begins, and nothing ends, That is not paid with moan; For we are born in others pain And perish in our own.

Administrator
    Suggestion:

Go to YouTube - Search Glock Grip Frame Reduction

There are quite a few "PLASTIC SURGEONS" <~~~~ showing off their custom work & also some DIY "step by step" Demos....if you're feeling brave.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

OD*
    It's your pistol Mike, I say do what you want with it to make it fit you better. Despite what some claim, the Glock's are not "Perfection" for everyone. I've always liked the idea of a G19/23, but they never felt as good to me as the G17, and I always wound up selling them or trading them off. As I mentioned in an earlier post on this subject, the arch on the back strap hits my palm too high up, and I hate the feel of it, the finger groove ridges are in the wrong location for me, and my fingers naturally fell right on top of them. Did a little remodeling by removing the ridges (and I never have cared for/nor used, a squared trigger guard, so it went too), flattening the "arch" and did some stippling. And, the modifications did not "lower" it's value, the pistol went for $625. I also did my G17, which I still have.

TN_Mike, QKShooter and Holster like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Administrator
    I've never have one done myself, so take this advice with a grain of salt;

I'd defiantly use somebody who has a good reputation, like Bowie. I'm sure if a guy like him screwed up your gun, he would make it right.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks everyone. I will be checking YouTube and I think I'll contact the guy on GlockTalk. I really like his work.

Your gun looks very good OD. Nice job. I may talk to you some more about it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

leave it to the professionals like Bowie. Like Sixto said, if he screws it up, he'll make it right. You screw it up, and you will have a mess on your hands.

maybe its just me, but customizing a polymer pistol just seems all wrong. My Glocks are ugly as they are....no need to make them uglier by taking a soldering iron to them.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Thanks everyone. I will be checking YouTube and I think I'll contact the guy on GlockTalk. I really like his work.

Your gun looks very good OD. Nice job. I may talk to you some more about it.
    Thanks Mike, anytime.

Fortunately we're not all the same, some don't like the looks, many do, I think the frame modifications make the ugly guns look better.
    TN_Mike and C hawk Glock like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links