s&w 9mm, hitting low 2 handed, on target 1 handed

This is a discussion on s&w 9mm, hitting low 2 handed, on target 1 handed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; not sure if this is the right forum so mods, pls move if not appropriate. I have a 9mm, live in a compliant state so ...

Thread: s&w 9mm, hitting low 2 handed, on target 1 handed

not sure if this is the right forum so mods, pls move if not appropriate.

I have a 9mm, live in a compliant state so the trigger pull is very high.

At 20', all my shots are hitting about 1' low. I know I have a good sight picture, with my .22 I am right on, and oddly enough, 1 handed with the 9mm, I am right on.

I assume I am pulling gun down when somehow when pulling trigger. Am looking for some advice on stance, hold, squeeze, etc.

Thanks,

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Two hands resists the upward recoil better?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The round is halfway down range before your recoil is even felt. It sounds like you are anticipating?

Smooth, even squeeze on the trigger and let the weapon do its work. Its only 9mm so its nothing to be scared of.

jmo

Actually OldVet is correct. Recoil starts as soon as the bullet starts to move. Basic law of physics. Two handed hold resists the upward movement of the barrel and the bullet impacts lower.

Sometimes you pay more attention to the trigger squeeze because you pay more attention to making the harder shot.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

A good dryfire drill is to put a coin on the front of your slide and squeeze the trigger until the hammer or firing pin falls. Keep your sights focused on a dot on the wall during your trigger stroke. The idea is to keep the coin from falling. (Please remember the Four Rules apply even when dry firing, and go a step further and remove ALL live ammo from the room where you practice.)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    A good dryfire drill is to put a coin on the front of your slide and squeeze the trigger until the hammer or firing pin falls. Keep your sights focused on a dot on the wall during your trigger stroke. The idea is to keep the coin from falling. (Please remember the Four Rules apply even when dry firing, and go a step further and remove ALL live ammo from the room where you practice.)
    Excellent suggestion (especially the last bit). A box of snap caps if you don't want to pull the trigger on a empty chamber. A little higher tech version is to use a laser and work on keeping the laser on the dot.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Are you directly below POA or are you also slightly left (assuming right handed). I agree that you are most likely anticipating the recoil and dropping the front of the gun. But a foot low with two hands and dead on one hand also makes me wonder if you need to relax the second hand a bit. Think of the weak hand as a stabilizer not a reinforcement for the grip. I have worked with many who almost white knuckle the weak hand, usually this results in pulling to that side but can also pull down. Your shooting a 9mm not a 500 smith so the second hand should not have much work to do in the way of recoil control.

If you are shooting 115 gr try 124 gr. lighter loads hit lower since they are out of the barrel faster. My 9mm's hit dead on with 124gr. low with 115gr and high with 148gr.

Thanks. I will have to look at load in round I am using.

I have tried dry firing, I have some snap caps.

Prior to purchasing gun I tried one out in NH vs. sig. Like the trigger. But in MA, with different harder to pull trigger, felt much different. In fact, if I try to go thru whole 10 rnd clip by using the pad of my finger, it is tiring and some shots i know will be off. I was using bend in finger to get more power which was causing poor placement, not only low, but also off center. I am more cognizant know of making sure I am using pad, so I am pretty much on center, but low.

Definitely with 1 hand I am more relaxed on the shot, so with 2 hands I might be gripping too hard. I should set up a camera to record what I am doing, or ask someone to watch assuming I could find someone who knows what they are doing...

appreciate all the help

stop squeezing with your support hand so hard!,see this a lot,and also anticipation.

You said you are using a S&W, may I ask which one. What you are discribing is a typical cinerio for a Sigma. Many people have this issue with the heavier trigger pull. If it is a Sigma, unload the gun, be sure the chamber is empty, put all ammo in another room as was said earlier.
    Rack the slide, squeeze the trigger SLOW and I mean really slow. you will feel a "click", Stop. Make sure you are on target. When you squeeze an additional 1/2 mm the pin will snap forward. If there were a round in pipe the gun will fire. You may want to practice that quite a bit. Follow the link below and get one of these bore sighters. They are cheaper than some and work really well. You just have to get used to the trigger. I know someone is going to mention that Hi-Point is a cheaply made gun an so on and so forth but this is not the gun, just to be clear.

9mm Luger Pistol Laser Bore Sight - HI-POINT FIREARMS by Combathunting.com

S&W M&P 9. I am in a 'compliant' state that specifies a heavier pull. I can get a different trigger with a lighter pull and this might make a big diff. My 22 mosquito which has a lighter pull is always on, not low.

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    S&W M&P 9. I am in a 'compliant' state that specifies a heavier pull. I can get a different trigger with a lighter pull and this might make a big diff. My 22 mosquito which has a lighter pull is always on, not low.
    If you live in NH why buy a gun that has a Mass. Trigger? Why follow Mass laws? It sounds like you need to get a trigger job done.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Links