Millennium Pro Pt745. .45 Acp Compact Pistol

This is a discussion on Millennium Pro Pt745. .45 Acp Compact Pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. Do's anyone have any experience are knowledge with the TAURUS MILLENNIUM PRO PT745 .45 ACP COMPACT PISTOL Good or bad. Here are the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi all.
    Do's anyone have any experience are knowledge with the TAURUS MILLENNIUM PRO PT745 .45 ACP COMPACT PISTOL

Good or bad.

Here are the specifications.
    Model: 745SS
    Caliber: .45 ACP
    Capacity: 6+1
    Barrel Length: 3.25"
    Action: DAO
    Finish: Stainless Steel
    Grips: Checkered Polymer
    Weight: 20.8 oz.
    Construction: Polymer/Steel
    Frame: Compact
    Front Sight: Fixed 1 dot
    Rear Sight: Fixed 2 dot
    Trigger Type: Smooth
    Length: 6"
    Width: 1.125"
    Height: 5.2"
    Rate of Twist: 1:16"
    Grooves: 6
    Safety: Manual Safety, Loaded Chamber Indicator, Firing Pin Block
    UPC: 7-25327-31325-3
    Order #: 1-745039
    MSRP: $439.00
    Attached Images
    THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACE IN THE WORLD IS BETWEEN A MOTHER AND HER CHILDREN.
    -Lady Liberty-
    United Stats Army,(Ret)

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    About two weeks ago had a female student that brought to class a 111PTi. That is the 10+1,9mm,3.25". This is a 16oz weapon(Ti slide). Got a chance to shoot it and it shot great. Low recoil and looked as it was put together good. It shot to POA at 7yds with WWB.

No expierance with the weapon mentioned but would have to say that I firmly believe that most of the Taurus line is a great value. I believe that they are a better value for the money than S&W.

People into CC should take a close look at some of their smaller weapons.

Hoped that helped somewhat.

Let us know what you decide on.-------

dej
    Kimo,
    I have the PT145 that is a bit larger, 10+1, and have been very pleased with it. FTF twice and that was due to operator error, limp wristing.
    The DAO is a long one and took time to get used to.
    About 1000 rnds so far and no problem...
    dej

I have a mil pro pt145,I've put probably 600 rounds through it without a single problem of any kind.I love it.small,light a great ccw.one satisfied customer. sj

Same as above

I had a 145

never had any problems except i hated the crappy trigger.

I was really impressed how it handled .45 acp recoil , for its

weight and size.

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Thanks Guys. I found some more info on the gun and from all that I have read it seems to be an exceptional gun.
    Here is a test on the gun I found on the Taurus website.

The PT-145SSP tested has a polymer frame with a stainless steel slide and barrel, and weighs in at 22.2 ounces with an empty magazine. The overall length is only six and one-eighth inches, with an overall height of only five inches, including the sights and magazine floorplate. The thickness of the pistol at its widest point is only 1.14 inches, making for a very compact forty-five. While the pistol is easily concealable, it still offers a full, comfortable grip. The grip frame is textured front and back for a secure hold under any weather conditions, but was not abrading during the shooting session. I could get all of my fingers on the grip for a secure hold. Many compact pistols have too short of a grip for my large hand. This Taurus does not. It allows the shooter to get a firm, secure hold for shooting high performance defense ammunition. The barrel length is only three and one quarter inches, and the pistol wears three-dot sights atop its slide, which provides a good sight picture in all but the dimmest of light conditions. The Millennium Pro has several built-in safety features. It is of a double action striker fired design, and has an internal firing pin block that prevents the gun from firing unless the trigger is pulled. This is the primary safety, and all that is necessary. However, in addition to that, the gun has a manual thumb safety that is easily accessible to a right-handed shooter, if he so chooses to engage that safety mechanism.

On the right side of the slide is the key lock for the Taurus Security System, which securely locks the slide and trigger. This safety can be used for storage if the owner prefers, or ignored if not needed. The PT-145 also has a loaded chamber indicator which can be both seen and felt. The double action trigger pull measured a velvety smooth six pounds and fifteen ounces on this pistol, but it felt much lighter due to its smoothness and the excellent design of the wide trigger blade. It has perhaps the best trigger pull that I have experienced on a double action pistol. The steel magazine ejected easily with a push of the release button, and was relatively easy to load, with or without the provided loading tool. The appearance of the PT-145 is one of quality, inside and out.

The satin stainless contrasts nicely with the black frame, for a pleasing appearance. The slide return is facilitated by a captive dual spring arrangement, and worked extremely well during all shooting tests. A variety of ammunition was used in testing the PT-145. The abbreviated barrel still provided good velocity readings from the ammunition tested, and all ammo functioned perfectly in the little pistol. The feed ramp to the chamber is polished like a mirror, provided smooth feeding from the magazine. The ammunition tested was fired over the sky screens of a PACT chronograph set up at ten feet from the muzzle, with the results as follows: Ammunition Velocity (FPS) Cor-Bon 165 grain +P Hollowpoint 1121 Cor-Bon 200 grain +P Hollowpoint 966 Cor-Bon 230 grain +P Hollowpoint 867 Cor-Bon 165 grain +P PowRBall 1051 Speer 185 grain Gold Dot Hollowpoint (.45 GAP) 891 WCC US Military 230 grain Ball 701 Note that the Speer ammo tested is the short .45 GAP cartridge, which this pistol is not meant to use. I tested it out of curiosity, and it functioned perfectly through the Taurus.

The high performance Cor-Bon ammo grouped five shots within two and one-half inches with every variety tried, at a range of twenty-five yards. This is very good combat accuracy from a compact pistol. I also ran some hand loaded 200 grain lead semi-wadcutter ammo through the Taurus, and it would group five rounds into one and one-quarter inches from a rested position at twenty-five yards. This is excellent accuracy from this little pistol, much better than many full sized target pistols. The accuracy was no doubt helped greatly by the smooth trigger pull. The Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro proved to be a compact, accurate, and reliable pistol that would make an excellent gun for concealed carry or home defense. It comes supplied with one magazine, magazine loading tool, instruction manual, cleaning brush, and two key locks in a lockable hard plastic storage case. It also carries the Taurus lifetime warranty, and comes with a one year membership in the National Rifle Association

by Jeff Quinn
    THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACE IN THE WORLD IS BETWEEN A MOTHER AND HER CHILDREN.
    -Lady Liberty-
    United Stats Army,(Ret)

I just got the Millenium Pro PT140 and after two days at the range, I'm pretty happy with the purchase. It feels great in my hands, shoots accurately and is fun to shoot. My next acquisition, I've decided, is going to be either the PT745 or the PT145!

For the ever so slightly larger size I plan to keep my PT-145 Millennium Pro. I really like the 10+1 capacity. I had forgotten just how easy it was to shoot and how accurate it is until yesterday. I usually shoot my carry guns at least twice a month and 50 rounds each time, but business has kept me on the road for over a month and I have not shot this particular gun in about 6 weeks. Yesterday while in Houston I went to American Shooting Centers and put 10 out of the 11 rounds through a 2" ragged hole in the bullseye at 15 yards. I had a couple of pro shooters, with their full race 38 supers really checking out my target. When they asked me about what gun I was shooting I showed them the PT and they were all amazed that such an expensive gun could do so well. After shooting 100 rounds of the MagTech 230gr. FMJ' and 50 rounds of my carry ammo, 230gr Federal HydraShoks, I headed to the house satisfied and verry happy.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Administrator
    I'm not a toreass fan at all, but I always kinda liked the millenniums. they do get good reviews, but the trigger is like flossing with sandpaper.

I've only ever heard the highest praise for the Mil Pro line. The 145 is a serious I-want-that for me. I think someone over on xdtalk.com has a 745 and raved about it. The DAO trigger is nice--I've pawed them many times but just haven't come up with the cash. Prolly won't anytime soon, either. Oh well...

I recently bought a new (3rd generation) Millennium PT 145 Pro with the matte stainless slide. I've only put a couple hundred, various type rounds through it, but so far I really like it. One thing I wanted to point out is that the newer models have the SA/DA trigger like the 24/7 models, not the DAO triggers of the previous Millenniums. There is some take-up, but once you feel where it breaks, it feels clean to me and it will reset without letting all the way back out.

I finally decided on the PT745 for my next handgun instead of the PT145. The PT145 is more like my current PT140 but in a different caliber. So, I want to try something a little different. The PT745 is a little lighter and thinner and ideal for deep concealment.

The only thing is the lack of availability of holsters made for it.

are you looking at this gun as your carry gun???? or the "fun at the range gun"??? taurus makes a good gun. but for a carry gun i would look at something smaller.

When I got my pt-145 I was deciding between that and the 745 and went with the 145. The grip of the 145 is actually no thicker than the slide and it actually felt better in my hand. It also did not seem any harder to me to conceal as it was no thicker than the slide. I also no longer have the taurus, but I only got rid of it for a small 1911.

are you looking at this gun as your carry gun???? or the "fun at the range gun"??? taurus makes a good gun. but for a carry gun i would look at something smaller.
    ??? These are 3" pistols. Just what size smaller are you talking about getting as a carry gun. Many people feel 3" is too small and you are talking about something smaller????

Hey, nothing wrong in going with the PT 745, but what salty said is right. The only difference in size is a slightly narrower grip. The top side with the slide is the same as PT 145. I know for concealed carry every little bit counts, but to me the width was already there with the slide and I really liked the idea of 10 rounds in the magazine. That grip fits my hand good also. As for Frank's comment on a smaller gun, I wonder if he's thinking about one of the larger Taurus? The small size in a .45 is what originally drew me to this gun. Sure it's not as small as the smaller .380's, but it is not big compared to anything else above that. I just saw in the new Taurus catalog they also now have a 24/7 C model. It looks just like the PT 145, but with the rubberized grip of the 24/7. If you like that grip you may want to try to find out about one of those. I, personally, wouldn't want the rubber grip on a CCW. I also saw the new 24/7 Tactical has added a decocker. Something many feel the newer Millenniums would benefit from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links