New J-frame.

This is a discussion on New J-frame. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have given up on compact .380's. After having a bad time with an LCP, buying a Bodyguard 380, both having either the inability to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: New J-frame.

New J-frame.

I have given up on compact .380's. After having a bad time with an LCP, buying a Bodyguard 380, both having either the inability to feed and extract consistently or just plain locking up, I give up. I just replaced the .380's with a very dependable j-frame in 38 spec. I have a LC9 that, so far, has been great but I will not have to ever worry about feed or extract again. I may only have 5 shots but I can empty and reload with one hand if need be and have a gun I can count on as much as a person can count on a machine. Hornady critical defense and a j-frame is suddenly very consoling.
    Have a great and safe holiday, Frank.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I'll leave the .380 behind in favor of a J-Frame .38 any day. Seems like a thoughtful choice. Which model did you get?
    Bullet1234 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Love those J-frames as well. I have 3... 442, 642, and 360. Rare is the day that I don't have at least one on my person.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    Current handguns: Glock models 19, 22C, 23, 27, 29, & 36; Kimber Pro CDP and Polymer Custom; Kahr PM9 & CW9; S&W models 6906, 386PD, 66; Taurus 85 Ultralite Ti; Browning Buckmark;

Former handguns: S&W 4"686, 4" 620 & Sigma .380, Taurus 617 Ti, Kimber Pro Eclipse, Walther P22, Glock 30 & 33.

+1 on the J Frame! My 642 always goes bang...5 shots for certain, with a superior round compared to the 380, IMHO.
    bmcgilvray and Bullet1234 like this.

My BUG is a S&W 2" Airweight which is over 42 years old, and still runs like new.
    bmcgilvray and Sledge like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I own so many J-frames I am almost ashamed to admit it. I personally like and collect the older stainless steel and blued guns, but I do often carry a 642. You can't go wrong with a snubby. Five for sure!
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

We need pics!!!! I love my j-frames. My 442 is one of my most carried handguns. You'll absolutely love it.

PS. They multiply. I'm up to 4 snubbie revolvers, and there are so many more I want!!!!!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Another vote for snubs, new or old doesn't really matter to me.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Also love J frames

S&W J frames are probably the most reliable and concealable of the small guns available on the market. Their rounded shape allows them to be concealed easily without printing under many conditions. I have 3 of them, of which 2 are shown below.

Copperjacket likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    helderberg here you go: The Superduper Snubbie thread

As you can see snub revolvers are well loved here!
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

I confess I originally bought the snubs to use a BUG ,,,, but they are so easy to conceal
    I find myself using them more & more as the only gun ..... my bad. The one I use most is in the icon.

You can't go wrong with a J-frame. I love my little 642 as a backup in winter and a primary in summer when minimally dressed.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

i use my 637 when im lazy to put on a holster ill throw it inside my pockets
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    S&W J frames are probably the most reliable and concealable of the small guns available on the market. Their rounded shape allows them to be concealed easily without printing under many conditions. I have 3 of them, of which 2 are shown below.

Sweet pair !

Old School likes all steel "old school" j-frames.......

photo.jpg S&W 638
    click image to enlarge....
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by helderberg View Post
    I have given up on compact .380's. After having a bad time with an LCP, buying a Bodyguard 380, both having either the inability to feed and extract consistently or just plain locking up, I give up. I just replaced the .380's with a very dependable j-frame in 38 spec. I have a LC9 that, so far, has been great but I will not have to ever worry about feed or extract again. I may only have 5 shots but I can empty and reload with one hand if need be and have a gun I can count on as much as a person can count on a machine. Hornady critical defense and a j-frame is suddenly very consoling.
    Have a great and safe holiday, Frank.
    Same here... Came to the same conclusion about a year ago, and never looked back... For the small deep concealment work IMO, nothing beats the J frame.. Now go out and get yourself a Steel framed Kahr and feel how a nice auto really runs.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links