How many guys here like the Third Generation S&W Auto's

This is a discussion on How many guys here like the Third Generation S&W Auto's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always been a fan of the S&W Third Generation Auto's. The small to mid size 45's are the ones I like best. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How many guys here like the Third Generation S&W Auto's

How many guys here like the Third Generation S&W Auto's

I have always been a fan of the S&W Third Generation Auto's. The small to mid size 45's are the ones I like best. I think they are very under rated and their prices are low for what you get. Are there any other fans of the 3erd Gen Smiths out there? I still wonder why they are not more popular. Every one I have shot was accurate and I have never had a jam in one. Was I just lucky or are they just a great bargain ?
    e4dan likes this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I know many gun owners who rate them as their favorite hand guns, and I agree they are nice firearms. I have heard some have issues with fames cracking, maybe the aluminum models? I think my favorite is the 3913.

I wouldn't say the ones that I have were a bargain. But the only ones I own are 3 Gen 10mm's (1006, 1066, and 1086), and they seem to come with a premium. They are accurate, will feed empty cases...which goes to show you how well they feed, and have fully supported chambers.

Love my 4003. It'll feed empty cases from the mag, not sure what could jam it.
    Had a 5906 previously hand no problems with that either, and I sure miss it.

They are great guns. My wife and I have three: 6906, 6946 amd 5903. Used to have a 3953; wish I still did. Also have Keltec P11 and Marlin Camp rifle which can exchange magazines with the Smiths.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    What's not to like. Strong, tough, reliable, classic style and American made. And with the fact that they can be found on the used market (police trade-ins) in VG condition at inexpensive prices, its even better.

When you a cursing the LGS this holiday season with gun money burning a hole in your pocket, these will be one of the best bargains on the market and you should be looking for them. If you are smart you will be.......if not, just keep your Tupperware and go shopping for holiday cupcakes with the wife.

Mattmann likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I love my 5903! Great guns. I also love my m&p! Smith and Wesson in my opinion is one of the best firearm makers in the game and far underrated. Lets not forget they are also American made! That'd be one of my biggest selling points....and they have lifetime warranties ....and great cs....I'm done

Have a 3913TSW first pistol I ever purchased and was my only pistol for years. Would be one of the last I parted with.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Have a 4566 and a 6906 and love shooting both. The 4566 is a bit heavy for every day carry but has a firm place as an alternate HD tool. Just finished a holster for the 6906 and haven't had a chance to carry it yet. It's handled factory loads well but waiting to test reloads next trip out. I foresee it rotating with my G30 as my carry gun.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I let my 3914 go after I had an injury that caused nerve damage and a "limp wrist" problem. WISH I HAD NEVER LET IT GO!
    Great pistol, carried easily and was quite accurate.
    At the time, I needed a carry gun that would go "Bang" every time I pulled the trigger and with my physical condition none of my semi-autos were reliable. :~{
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    When I was ten years old roughly, my dad and I were out at his brothers house. My father had just bought me my first .22 Rifle, only after getting bored with my Daisy BB Gun. After we tested out the .22, he pulled out the handgun he had brought with him. The Ruger P89DC 9mm and was pretty amazed by the semi-auto action, as it was my first semi i'd have ever shot. (the .22 is bolt action)

My uncle then takes out his Smith and Wesson Model 39 1st generation 9mm and lets me shoot it. I was such a nice, smooth action, smooth trigger pull, marvelous handgun. To compare after that I felt like the kid from Christmas Story who is always fantasizing about getting a Red-Rider Level Action Carbine. I just had to have a S&W Handgun. Of course I was only 10 years old and many moons away from owning my own handgun. But I knew my first handgun would be a Smith and Wesson.

When I became of age to purchase a handgun, I did months of research reading new product reviews from every company, hours of online blog reads from first hand use, looked at which police departments and government agencies were using what. When it came time to buy time, my uncle offered to sell me his Model 39. It would have been so cool had I bought it, but it did not fill the needs of what I was looking for in a Handgun. I also said no way are you serious. The gun you carry everywhere, you want to sell it?

I did end up buying a Smith and Wesson M&P40 which I've had for almost 3 years now, which you would have to take from my cold dead hands. My uncle did end up selling the Smith that I fell in love with to a co-work. His co-worker ended up taking his CPL class through me, and offered to sell it to me. I once again had to decline for personal reasons. But I always tell myself that maybe one day we will be reunited, as those childhood memories still linger.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Have a Early S&W 6906 with hook trigger guard,. love it.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

have a Model 910 which is the budget 5903/6. Also have a Keltec Sub 2000 that uses S&W Series 59 mags (only works with factory SW mags??).
    Finish on the budget models leaves something to be desired and the abrupt straight back strap of the 910 just begs for a custom job. Since the 3rd gen Smiths are no
    more, I'm keeping it. Not my favorite shooter, but boringly reliable and accurate.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Love my 457, its my EDC
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Love my 457, its my EDC
    I hope to have a 457 by the end of next week.I think they are nice carry guns.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links