I got "made" yesterday

I got "made" yesterday

This is a discussion on I got "made" yesterday within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Putting groceries in my trunk, I was approached on my blind side by a guy on a bike. He asked me for 75 cents for ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: I got "made" yesterday

I got "made" yesterday

Putting groceries in my trunk, I was approached on my blind side by a guy on a bike. He asked me for 75 cents for a bus ride so he could make it to his class. He sounded sincere so I grabbed a dollar out of my wallet. Then he said, "what do you carry, a glock?". I said, "where?"
    He said, "I'm not stupid dude, I carry too."

It made me conscious of how I bend and move when going about my daily activities. I had my 4" 1911 .45 on my hip about 4:00 in a IWB with a fleece vest for cover. Standing and walking it don't print whatsoever. But if I bend just 30 degrees from vert the grip prints to anyone who pays attention.

Not sure how to fix this. Maybe its just gonna 'happen' sometimes.

..In retrospect, this probably isnt the best section for this post so mods feel free to move it

"[I got "made" yesterday]"

I Thought you was in the MOB ; )
    H/D
    helderberg likes this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I would be more concerned of how I let this person come up on me without me noticing,always be aware of your surroundings,.75 cents for a bus ride,really,sounds like you were about to be a victim.
    Quote Originally Posted by carverelli View Post
    Putting groceries in my trunk, I was approached on my blind side by a guy on a bike. He asked me for 75 cents for a bus ride so he could make it to his class. He sounded sincere so I grabbed a dollar out of my wallet. Then he said, "what do you carry, a glock?". I said, "where?"
    He said, "I'm not stupid dude, I carry too."

It made me conscious of how I bend and move when going about my daily activities. I had my 4" 1911 .45 on my hip about 4:00 in a IWB with a fleece vest for cover. Standing and walking it don't print whatsoever. But if I bend just 30 degrees from vert the grip prints to anyone who pays attention.

Not sure how to fix this. Maybe its just gonna 'happen' sometimes.

..In retrospect, this probably isnt the best section for this post so mods feel free to move it

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    I would be more concerned of how I let this person come up on me without me noticing,always be aware of your surroundings,.75 cents for a bus ride,really,sounds like you were about to be a victim.
    That sounded like an interview to me as well. He can afford to carry a gun with ammo that costs at least .21 per round, but he can't afford .75 cents for bus fare?

I may be paranoid, but they really are out to get me.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    bend at the knees

and play act all the things you do in a average day and make corrections
    than think about the odd things that happen
    --passing others in a door way and hearing the 'klunk' against the door frame
    --sitting in a chair that has arms and, besides the klunk, is getting the muzzle/holster hung up on the arm

theres lots more; others will chime in and give you more to think about

but maintaining concealment is doable by thinking ahead and the right holster for the gun you carry--
    and the right gun for the places you intend to go.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

OC would have prevented this ;)
    nobody_iam, AZDaven, Spec and 6 others like this.

its possible I was about to become a target. When i heard his voice and turned he was coming to a stop on his bike. Had he shed his bike and come at me, Id of whipped his arse. He was about 5-10 170 and I'm 5-9 265. Yes, some fat but strong as a bull. If he'd have had a gun out already i'd be a sitting duck for sure. Yes, more SA from here on out, as he did startle me a little.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    bend at the knees

and play act all the things you do in a average day and make corrections
    than think about the odd things that happen
    --passing others in a door way and hearing the 'klunk' against the door frame
    --sitting in a chair that has arms and, besides the klunk, is getting the muzzle/holster hung up on the arm

theres lots more; others will chime in and give you more to think about

but maintaining concealment is doable by thinking ahead and the right holster for the gun you carry--
    and the right gun for the places you intend to go.
    all good ideas and something to think about. Thanks

1911s have a long grip...

I have a 4 inch 1911 and have carried it OWB at 4PM position. You are right about the thing printing on your cover garment if you bend 30 degrees forward. The grip on a 1911 is fairly long and sharply pointed, as shown below.

The best thing I have found to counter that problem in a 1911 is an officer's length grip, which costs you one round in the magazine but cuts back the length of your grip and the tendency to print.

But the best type of gun to avoid this entirely is a snub revolver with a round butt and a boot grip that only goes down to the end of the frame. The snub revolver is very rounded and curved, and the short grip doesn't stick out as far, making it less likely to print. The picture shows my S&W model 66 with Badger boot grips in an OWB holster.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Anyone else question this as well.... The guy was on a bike and asking for bus fair. What was he going to do with the bike while taking the bus? Good point Whec about the guys comment about carrying himself... if so, he should be able to afford the bus. I have to agree...sounds like an interview to me.
    JerryMac, tcox4freedom and RMS like this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Standing and walking it don't print whatsoever. But if I bend just 30 degrees from vert the grip prints to anyone who pays attention.
    and I'm 5-9 265
    You probably just need to wear much larger shirts. The clues are quoted above.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    A proper holster with a decent cant worn at 3:00 or 3:30 will pretty well take care of printing even with a full size 1911.

VIP Member
    I automatically assume anyone I see wearing a vest is carrying. Since hardly anyone around here wears one, it is generally a safe assumption. That aside, it prints through the vest? I carry at 3:00/9:00 to minimize printing, with both my 1911 and my Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Anyone else question this as well.... The guy was on a bike and asking for bus fair. What was he going to do with the bike while taking the bus? Good point Whec about the guys comment about carrying himself... if so, he should be able to afford the bus. I have to agree...sounds like an interview to me.
    buses here have racks on the front for 3-4 bikes. And maybe he has carried before, but now hes going to class, prolly a college where guns arent allowed. And maybe he was running late and just forgot his wallet IDK , but I was way more concerned about him figuring I had a gun than being someones victim.
    This is my holster

1337 - Stronghold® Phoenix - Black Leather IWB Holster

VIP Member
    I don't care for the Phoenix holster. I bought one for a Kahr PM9 awhile ago, and was very disappointed. I wear my belt tight, which causes the steel band in the mouth of the holster to act like a clamp, making a draw very difficult. It is also a full 1/4" inch thicker than my similarly-priced Brommeland Max-Con V for the same pistol.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links