PM9 sent in for repair

This is a discussion on PM9 sent in for repair within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was cleaning it and noticed a crack/ piece missing off the forward most poly rail on the frame. Sent pic to Kahr and was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: PM9 sent in for repair

PM9 sent in for repair

I was cleaning it and noticed a crack/ piece missing off the forward most poly rail on the frame. Sent pic to Kahr and was immediately emailed an RA number. I was impressed with that. The rep said this will most likely be covered under warranty. The part that sucked was me having to pick up the cost to get it to them. Thought if its warranty and a mfg defect, then they should pick up as well. Oh well sent off and hope I here something back soon. Has anyone else seen this on their PM9?

pm9.jpg
    CC:
    Glock 19 Gen 3 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Glock 26 Gen 4 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Karh PM9 in a Isotope 7 (made by Gary Brommeland)
    Home Protection:
    Mossberg 500 and Kimber Custom II 1911.

2. Remove Ads

That does suck, but hope it gets repaired quickly and glad that you caught it now instead of later when you really needed it. God Bless

Kahr replaced a slide on a pm9 for me.....no charge.....returned in about two weeks.....perfect.
    leathernuts likes this.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    If you call and ask for a prepaid shipping slip I have never seen any manufacturer say no. The difference is some companies volunteer that info and some don't.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I own and carry a CW9 daily. I'm very interesting to hear what Kahr's Customer Service does with this. Please post a follow up when they get your gun back to you or you otherwise get a resolution to this problem.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I had a CW9 that the frame cracked on it. I never did see the crack. The trigger pivot pin (seen in the very bottom of your photo above the trigger) kept backing out while shooting. I called Kahr and they said to send it in. When they got it, they said the frame was cracked and they had never seen that before. They rebuilt the gun on an entirely new frame using the old parts from the old gun (except the frame). I got a new serial number and they had to ship it back to me via my local FFL and I had to go fill out paper work on it. I actually don't even think I've ever taken the replacement out to shoot it yet, and it's been close to a year since I got it back.

I'm sure everything will work out with it. They'll probably replace your frame, as they did mine and you'll get a new serial number and have to do paper work on it, just as I had to do.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Don't think they can "fix" that as it is a part of the whole frame. Agree with tkruf answer-you will probably get a new frame or new gun replacement with new serial # that you will have to fill out the FFL paperwork at your local dealer on. Only one I've seen that has got the polymer frames right is Ruger, because they use long-stand fiberglass in their polymer system. It's about as hard as steel. Sell it for a Ruger...you won't be disappointed.

How "old" is your PM9? My understanding was that they only came with a year warranty. I ended up getting rid of my PM9 once it was a few years old and had around 5000 rounds through it in fear that eventually I'd get a severe failure and I'd get stuck with a brick. If Kahr had a warranty like S&W, Glock or Ruger then I would be much more willing to consider a Kahr in the future.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Most companies, not just some gun makers, don't offer prepaid shipping. Appreciate the ones that do.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Those plasitic rails are not a main part of the frames function and are there is help aline upper and lower during assembly and to keep trash from working under and I think all of us have some wear on them. But glad they jumped on it to make like new. Do keep check on the small metal rails at the front and rear of the frame. There is an alinement mark on the left front meal rail.
    leathernuts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    If you call and ask for a prepaid shipping slip I have never seen any manufacturer say no. The difference is some companies volunteer that info and some don't.
    I did ask. Still said no. Unbelievable I thought
    CC:
    Home Protection:

Quote Originally Posted by ev239 View Post
    How "old" is your PM9? My understanding was that they only came with a year warranty. I ended up getting rid of my PM9 once it was a few years old and had around 5000 rounds through it in fear that eventually I'd get a severe failure and I'd get stuck with a brick. If Kahr had a warranty like S&W, Glock or Ruger then I would be much more willing to consider a Kahr in the future.
    Got it June 2010. I checked their site and it said 5 year warranty.
    CC:
    Home Protection:

To everyone else, I appreciate the comments. I will keep you posted. I ended up shipping through my local FFL, $30. not to bad. I know I could have shipped for less if I didnt disclose the contents, but with my luck it would of gotten lost and then would have denied a claim. Im fully expecting a replacement frame as I dont see how this would be repairable. I did research it prior to sending and saw that that particular part of the rail or at least in the post it said it was more for alignment purposes only. Nevertheless, it only has around 500-600 and I see no reason for it to have happened. Well see. Ya all have a wonderful, safe and blessed Thanksgiving. Talk to ya'll soon.
    CC:
    Home Protection:

Just got a call from Kahr. He said that it has zero impact on the functionality of the firearm and in fact they have been contemplating removing those poly rails all together since they serve no function other than an assembly guide. He said it is common for those poly rails to be gouged or get broke during normal assemble if the user is not careful. Hmmm, I believe the firearm is functional, but im not sure Im buying the rest. Im very careful with my firearms and dont just slap them together. Im just one of those that everytime I see it, its going to bug me. ANyways theres the update. Thanks all for your help!
    CC:
    Home Protection:

The poly rails are only there to help guide the slide on when reassembling. The steel rails embedded in the poly carry the slide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links