Really wanted a KAHR CM or PM9.... Now going with Colt Mustang

This is a discussion on Really wanted a KAHR CM or PM9.... Now going with Colt Mustang within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I can find one. Seriously, I have read everything available on the KAHR's and really wanted a CM9 or PM9 for pocket carry. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Really wanted a KAHR CM or PM9.... Now going with Colt Mustang

If I can find one. Seriously, I have read everything available on the KAHR's and really wanted a CM9 or PM9 for pocket carry. I have become so confused with the battery of both positive things and negatives that I just decided to move on to something different. I have a Colt 1911 and love that one, so if I can find a Mustang Pocketlite for a decent price, guess I'll just go with that. To me there are just way too many negative experiences associated with the KAHR for me to jump into that right now. Those that haven't had problems and love theirs I'm sure will disagree, but since I haven't bought anything yet, I have to take all the feedback to heart. Just way too many negatives right now. Thanks. Steve

VIP Member
    Well I can say that I honestly love Colt, and own them as well. You would be hard pressed to convince me that the Colt Mustang would be any more reliable then a CM9.
    RockStrongo likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Plus, I'm told at my LGS, that the Colt won't be around my area for 2-3 months! Can you wait that long when Kahr, overall, has a good reputation?
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Have no want or need for any .380. But damn it I want one of those mustangs!

Must be the pony on the frame & it says "Colt"
    357and40 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Man ,,, you have got to realize that you only hear from a very small % of owners and even then some of the people whin'n probably sould not own small recoiling handguns period. I got in to kahrs after owning another handgun soooo many people whined about over time, a KT pf-9. 2000 rounds fire with zero problems. recoil was not the easist but it worked great. I had a guy offer to sell me his darn kahr cw9 as it just would not shot even a mag full of ammo with out a problem. The price was low enough it had to buy it. I took it home cleaned it up learn how it worked and lubed what needed to be . Went to the range that week to try it out. That week I shot 600 rounds trouble free, not i single issue. I turned around a bought a cm9 and did the same thing with it and then sold the KT pf-9. I now carry the cm9 most of the time. Some people will have a problem gun then don't whin , call the CS and send it back. They all make them. Some people are to darn stupid to read directions or figure out whats up and should not own small handguns. I even see guys with brand new out of the box fireams at the range try to figure them out while shooting At least thats my take .

Kahr pistols can indeed be hit or miss. I've owned 4 of them, currently have a PM9. My PM9 will not work with the 7-rd mag...severe nose-down jams, even with FMJ-RN ammo (this was well after the break-in period). This is a known issue (check the Kahr Talk forum) - called Kahr, they replaced the 7-rd mag with a 6-rd one. That was their "fix."

Last week, I tried a 50-rd box of 147 gr Speer Gold Dot ammo through my PM9 - got two nose down jams, even with the 6-rd mag. Right now, I've got it loaded with a 124 gr +P EFMJ in the chamber, 3 PowRBalls in the top of the mag (for better feeding) and 3 EFMJ in the bottom of the mag. I've ordered more of the 124 gr +P EFMJ (haven't been able to find any in over 2 years) and will run a box trough the PM9 once I get it in to see if it feeds any better.

Depending on how that goes, I see 3 options. If it feeds the EFMJ, I will likely keep it and use that ammo. If not, I will try a few boxes of PowRBall, but I dislike that ammo because I consider it too light for caliber. Last option is give up on the PM9 (and Kahr) altogether and try to make a revolver work for pocket carry - Side Guard holsters (sponsor here) make pocket holsters with an anti-print panel for the LCR (leading contender). I might have to take my pants to a tailor to deepen the pockets, but I may do that just to gain the reliability of the revolver, if it comes to that.

Sorry to the Kahr fanboys, but I think the OP is wise to consider his options carefully. For the record, it seems the steel Kahr pistols are more reliable, from what I've read.

Good luck!
    ironmike86 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Kahr pistols can indeed be hit or miss. I've owned 4 of them, currently have a PM9. My PM9 will not work with the 7-rd mag...severe nose-down jams, even with FMJ-RN ammo (this was well after the break-in period). This is a known issue (check the Kahr Talk forum) - called Kahr, they replaced the 7-rd mag with a 6-rd one. That was their "fix."

Last week, I tried a 50-rd box of 147 gr Speer Gold Dot ammo through my PM9 - got two nose down jams, even with the 6-rd mag. Right now, I've got it loaded with a 124 gr +P EFMJ in the chamber, 3 PowRBalls in the top of the mag (for better feeding) and 3 EFMJ in the bottom of the mag. I've ordered more of the 124 gr +P EFMJ (haven't been able to find any in over 2 years) and will run a box trough the PM9 once I get it in to see if it feeds any better.

Depending on how that goes, I see 3 options. If it feeds the EFMJ, I will likely keep it and use that ammo. If not, I will try a few boxes of PowRBall, but I dislike that ammo because I consider it too light for caliber. Last option is give up on the PM9 (and Kahr) altogether and try to make a revolver work for pocket carry - Side Guard holsters (sponsor here) make pocket holsters with an anti-print panel for the LCR (leading contender). I might have to take my pants to a tailor to deepen the pockets, but I may do that just to gain the reliability of the revolver, if it comes to that.

Sorry to the Kahr fanboys, but I think the OP is wise to consider his options carefully. For the record, it seems the steel Kahr pistols are more reliable, from what I've read.

Good luck!
    As far as fanboys are considered, I would be more of a Colt fan then Khar, but my question to you is why did you buy four of them?
    jklowe48 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    As far as fanboys are considered, I would be more of a Colt fan then Khar, but my question to you is why did you buy four of them?
    First was a P9, an early one. Jammed all the time due to excessive frame flex.

Second was an early PM9. Too many issues to list.

Third was a replacement PM9 that Kahr finally sent me after they bastardized my PM9 trying to fix it. I sold it, having lost confidence in Kahr by this point.

After a few years, I once again got a PM9 (just a few months ago). Why? There is still no other pocketable 9mm pistol that will take +p ammo, lock the slide open when empty, have night sights, have a CT laser available, and NOT have a thumb safety or mag safety. Believe me - if there was, I would have bought it instead.

ETA - I'm also going to start experimenting with pocket carry of my Glock 26. I can do it while on duty, but of course there is no concern about printing then. It might take some tailoring of my suit pants pockets, but if I can do it, it'd be a better solution than a revolver or the PM9.
    CT Lasers

VIP Member

Third was a replacement PM9 that Kahr finally sent me after they bastardized my PM9 trying to fix it. I sold it, having lost confidence in Kahr by this point.

After a few years, I once again got a PM9 (just a few months ago). Why? There is still no other pocketable 9mm pistol that will take +p ammo, lock the slide open when empty, have night sights, have a CT laser available, and NOT have a thumb safety or mag safety. Believe me - if there was, I would have bought it instead.

ETA - I'm also going to start experimenting with pocket carry of my Glock 26. I can do it while on duty, but of course there is no concern about printing then. It might take some tailoring of my suit pants pockets, but if I can do it, it'd be a better solution than a revolver or the PM9.
    Sorry for your issues man. Every single one of my mags works great, even my extended round mags.

PM9s are great, accurate guns. Some people state no issues, I personally had so many I lost faith. Looking into a PPS.

I can only share my slightly related experience. I have a Kahr MK9 and a Sig 238. I really like both, and the Kahr has been more reliable with not a hiccup ever (yes I know it is not a PM9 but I am still trying to be helpful). The 238 has had a couple of issues that I attribute to the break in period, as they have become few and far between as I get more range trips in.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

I have been carrying a colt mustang, cocked and locked in a back pocket holster with no accidental firings, FTF's, or stove piping since I purchased it in 2006. Its easier to conceal, due to its size. I can fire it faster under control than my CW9...and hit with it. The ONLY problem (and its really not a problem) I find is the extra weight from being a steel pistol. You will know its there, which is a good thing.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    If you get tired of waiting, the SIG P238 is a licensed copy of the Colt Mustang. SIG has the bugs out of their P238 - my wife's is up to close to 500 rounds now firing an assortment of .380 ammo, FMJ to all sorts of JHP with out a single glitch of any kind. SIG makes something like 16 versions of the pistol, one of which is the P238HDW - and all stainless steel pistol with rosewood grips. It weighs 4oz more than the standard version or the Mustang Pocket Lite (alloy frames).

That said, my wife's P238 is down right pleasant to shoot. No problem putting a box of shells down range with either magazine (flush or extended) in it - in fact I'm really glad I have the 550B available to load ammo for it. It goes to the range with us and gets fired every time.

I bought an el-cheapo High Noon Bare Asset holster for it. Wrapped the gun in the plastic envelope the holster came in and managed to jam it in there with considerable effort required. Left it in there for 2 days. Now the holster fits perfectly and with the soft mouth adds almost nothing to the thickness of the little pistol so it is really easy to conceal.

If I don't find a micro 9 pretty soon, I'll probably buy another P238, the HDW or SAS this time just for variety, for myself. I don't get to touch my wife's unless she's asleep!

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.

Oh, I see a Taurus in your future!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Nope. I consider the Taurus ad for the Judge that promotes the use of birdshot for self defense to be borderline criminal. I'll never buy a Taurus for that reason alone.

Tried the G26 this morning - it fits in the pocket, but too hard to draw out cleanly. So - either my PM9 feeds EFMJ (once I get it in), or I may be in the market for a LCR (and a good tailor).
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links