Close to buying a 45 for carry, would like input - Page 2

Close to buying a 45 for carry, would like input

This is a discussion on Close to buying a 45 for carry, would like input within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will never again own a 1911 with a shorter than 4.25" barrel. I have owned two and both jammed from the very FIRST shot. ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Close to buying a 45 for carry, would like input

I will never again own a 1911 with a shorter than 4.25" barrel. I have owned two and both jammed from the very FIRST shot. I was at a loss and sold both convinced that I had just been incredibly unlucky and gotten a "LEMON" twice. Then years ago I exchanged a series of snail mail letters with the late Jeff Cooper and he opined that he'd heard much the same thing from other parts of the country even going so far as to suggest that the 1911 design became inherently flawed when shortened beyond 4.25" as it's recoil time for the abbreviated barrel is too short to reliably extract the empty and still reload a new cartridge. I've owned a Springfield Micro and a Para P10. Both felt awesome in my hand and were easy to carry. Jeff Cooper's final letter on the subject mirrored what he wrote in his column for Guns & Ammo later. He had heard of too many problems and would probably never buy a short 45 for himself. My current 1911 carry is a Sig 1911 RCS with a seven round mag. My other carry preference is a Glock M30 short frame with the 10rd mag in the gun and a M21 13rd mag as the spare.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Back to Peyton

Quote Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
    The .45 ACP legendary stopping power is just that a "legend". In my work I have interviewed 4 people so far shot point blank in the forehead with a .45 acp out of a 1911 with no real ill effecets. It did not stop their attacks either. I know people willl not belive this but that does not change the facts.
    I would have a hard time believing this before, but just a month or so ago a guy shared with me that in a moment of drunken despair he grabbed his 9mm Ruger and shot himself in the forehead. He said the same thing. The FMJ bullet went around his brain inside his skull and exited at the back of his skull. He woke up in the hospital with a big headache. He got a second chance, and is now in recovery from alcoholism.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeVirginia View Post
    I would have a hard time believing this before, but just a month or so ago a guy shared with me that in a moment of drunken despair he grabbed his 9mm Ruger and shot himself in the forehead. He said the same thing. The FMJ bullet went around his brain inside his skull and exited at the back of his skull. He woke up in the hospital with a big headache. He got a second chance, and is now in recovery from alcoholism.
    I believe what he experienced was bad dreams brought on by cheap booze, and the headache was from the hangover. Probably made that up to explain how his dumb ass probably almost aphixiated on his own vomit. Never believe what a drunk says.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I've heard a lot about how unreliable short-barreled 1911's are. Don't tell that to a Detonics I know.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

I've had a full size 1911 that was very reliable (RIA GI model), but I found I just never carried it and .45 was too expensive for a range gun. It just sat in the safe, so I sold it. I then bought a Glock 30, and I loved the way it shot and handled the round, but the slide was just too thick for me to carry IWB. So I sold it. I bought a Taurus PT845, and I liked the features and ergos, but I didn't shoot it worth squat and was much bigger than I was used to carrying. So I traded it for a Glock 36. It handles the round well, it is easy to carry, and functions flawlessly. I shoot it a few inches left, so I won't carry it until I have time to really work it out at the range.

My EDC is a Springfield XD40sc and I have over 1,000 rounds through it. From 25 feet I can consistently rapid fire in a 2" pattern. 9+1 of Speer gold dot JHP and six total mags (usually carry 2 extra on my person), I'm probably not going to replace my .40 with anything else as my EDC.

Caliber only matters to a certain point, and after that point of minimal SD effectiveness your ability with the round or weapon carries far more weight IMO. I shoot my .40 great and it has sufficient capacity. I'm in no hurry (if ever) to replace it with my compact G36 in .45 unless I am able to obtain the same level of proficiency and confidence in it. I also have several 9mms that I feel very comfortable and confident in carrying. Depending on the situation, I carry them with confidence as well. I also carry snubnosed 5 shot revolvers in either .38 or .357. I've shot the tar out of them and know I can put rounds where they need to be. It is more about what you can do with a certain weapon than the caliber.
    Nix likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Nix
    I love the .45 ACP (& .45 Colt ), and I do think caliber matters. I've been very impressed with the Glock 30 & 36. I'd also consider the Sig Sauer P220 and the H&K USPc.

But a .38 SPL snubbie makes me feel very warm and safe.

In my work I have interviewed 4 people so far shot point blank in the forehead with a .45 acp out of a 1911 with no real ill effecets.
    Those are some interviews I'd love to see on video and get the details of.
    TWO GUNS likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

What to carry?

It basically comes down to what you feel comfortable carring ALL DAY! AND, you have to be confidence you can shoot this gun if the sh*t hits the fan. If you feel better carriing a .380 and can shoot tight groups under pressure to me is better than a .45 you pull, hands shaking and you can't hit the broad side of a barn. I carry a Walther P22 w/CCI Velicitors when it is not practical to carry my Kimber Pro C Carry .45.
    Love the Kimber for a .45 (Close to a 1k rounds, no problems.) Took a while for the Walther to break in 500+ round of CCI's ONLY.
    Last edited by SHOOTERDAD; November 20th, 2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCWO View Post
    I am looking at buying an ATI FX45 Titan. This is an all steel gun with a 3.18 in barrel and 7 round mags. I have had different opinions regarding the recoil of short barrels on 45 autos. I know that recoil does not matter in a situation where the weapon is needed, but do these short barrels punish you at the range.CWO
    Realistically, the Commander-sized (4-inch) 1911s are as easily concealed as the Officers Model sized (3-1/2 inch) guys. It's axiomatic that the shorter the barrel, the greater the likelihood of operational trouble with 1911s. I'd look for the hybrids which have a Commander-length barrel on an Officers Model (compact) grip frame for concealability, sort of the best of both worlds.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The short barrel 1911 issue is more in the lines that they tend to have misfeeds if not gripped (more) firmly. The shorter slide has less mass and requires a firm(er) grip to ensure functioning (the limp-wrist effect). Felt recoil is a relative thing. I'm sure an all-steel short-barreled 1911 is managable. Most 1911s seem (to me) to suck up recoil regardless of size.
    Magnum likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    The .45 ACP legendary stopping power is just that a "legend". In my work I have interviewed 4 people so far shot point blank in the forehead with a .45 acp out of a 1911 with no real ill effecets. It did not stop their attacks either. I know people willl not belive this but that does not change the facts.

I have my old 1911 and I sure would not feel 'underarmed' with it either, further in all 4 cases were because the FMJ bullet spun around the skull and did not enetr the brain case (here is one of the video interviews vimeo.com/31172405) watch it its cop telling what he saw after then .45 acp hit the guy between the eyes.

But any handgun is bit lite to stop an animal as big as a man. But my point is a 9 mm in a JHP will work as well and is lot smaller and more controalble than these .45ACP pocket guns. That said you would not be underarmed with a .45acp either. But its no better than 9mm in most cases.

My research also discovered the other end of the spectrum too, that is a single .25 auto shot dropping a guy dead instantly.So the big gun, hard to hide and uncomfortbale to carry may not be the best choice. Nobody is going argue against the axiom: 'its the gun you have with you and in your ahnd when you need it that counts". But if the short bbl .45 is something that feels good for your body type etc, then OK, Perosnal feel and conmfort count for lot as to what oyu will carry, and if you do not carrry it then it can't help.
    Please refer to my signature...
    TWO GUNS and BigJon10125 like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    The .45 ACP legendary stopping power is just that a "legend". In my work I have interviewed 4 people so far shot point blank in the forehead with a .45 acp out of a 1911 with no real ill effecets. It did not stop their attacks either. I know people willl not belive this but that does not change the facts. .
    You were LIED TO.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I shoot a Kimber 1911 Ultra CDP Custom Shop .45 ACP every Wednesday from April - Nov in IDPA style competion. I use 10rd Chip McCormick mags. I am absolutely amazed at how accurate this 1911 can be with a 3" barrel. I DON'T EVEN NOTICE THE RECOIL AT ALL. [I] sure it has a little. Its like a falme thrower in low light. The 3" barrel seems to not allow the primary charge to develop fully. They tend to be a little slower muzzle velocity. I did find out I needed to use SAE 40 straight weight engine oils as the lube.

The Glock 36 is about the best carry and shooting pistol I have ever carried.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

OK. I have an ATI FX .45. Now, I like the pistol. I have had some issues. I'm not so concerned about the bbl length issues but it's ATI's customer service.
    I sent mine back (they DID pay for shipping BOTH ways) because of a battered ejector, the firing pin getting stuck in the firing pin hole and the chambered round rattling in the chamber.
    The only issue ATI addressed was the battered ejector, which they re-formed (from the SAME metal), which guaranteed a repeat of the same. So I now have the same situation and have decided to not go through ATI to solve the issues. So, if you go with ATI, just prepare yourself for a possible headache.
    GOOD pistol at a GOOD price but don't expect perfection.

Good Luck. Sam.
    And the old man said, "We'll see..."

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links