Close to buying a 45 for carry, would like input

This is a discussion on Close to buying a 45 for carry, would like input within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by zonker1986 I had a bit of a Phillipino 1911 lesson the other day at my local GS. Guy working behind the counter ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Close to buying a 45 for carry, would like input

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I had a bit of a Phillipino 1911 lesson the other day at my local GS. Guy working behind the counter told me that all the 1911's coming out of the Phillipines are made in the same factory and marketed through various companies due to export limitations per company.

Rock Island Armory
    Shooters Arms (ATI)
    Metro Arms (American Classic)
    Armscor

he claims all are made on old Colt equipment in the same factory, and each company is just a shell company that markets different types and grades of 1911's but they are all pretty much the same gun. Anyone here have knowledge to corroborate the information supplied by Mr. Know-it-all Gun Counter Dude?
    Armscor does make a number of different pistols for a number of importers, but they are not making them on old Colt equipment.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

I currently carry a Kimber Covert Carry (which is an Ultra Carry 3" with digital camo). It's a .45, so the recoil is certainly higher than with other guns that I own, but I don't notice it as being significant enough to diminish my accuracy at the range. My wife has also uses it, even during IDPA shoots and she LOVES it... She's small at 5'4" and 125 lbs.

I would agree with several of the statements indicating that "grip firmness" has a lot to do with misfires on a shorter barreled .45, although I would be foolish for not suggesting that it impacts any other gun and caliber similarly.

Rent a few different styles, models, and calibers. The .45 is a great choice, but perhaps not the right one for everyone. I have a multiple handguns, and love them all for different reasons and circumstances.
    Hibby

Kimber Ultra Covert II (LG) .45 ACP Sig Sauer P226 Elite .40 Smith & Wesson 686 Stainless .357 Magnum
    Smith & Wesson Compact M&P 9mm Sig Sauer Mosquito .22

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Armscor does make a number of different pistols for a number of importers, but they are not making them on old Colt equipment.
    You are correct, the factory has been re-tooled and has new equipment.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    You are correct, the factory has been re-tooled and has new equipment.
    Could be, I know they were never made on old Colt equipment.

~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    I have no experience with ATI, however I've got plenty of experience with 1911's and the shorter they are the more problematic and maintenance sensitive they become. Shortest 1911 I still have is a 4 1/4" commander.
    A 4 1/4" 1911 is a very nice carry gun. I alternate between a Para LTC and a 5" customized SA Mil Spec. Either one makes a good carry gun.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Could be, I know they were never made on old Colt equipment.
    Not in the philippines, but colt helped with a factory in Argentine.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

If you wanna stay with a single stack I would go with a springfield or kimber 3" 1911. For double stack I like the para warthog or new xdm 3.8 45 acp....

Sent from Nates Droid X

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Not in the philippines, but colt helped with a factory in Argentine.
    True, but they were not made on old Colt equipment. In 1914, the Argentine military adopted the Colt M1911 as their standard military sidearm and contracted with Colt to supply these guns. In 1927, the Argentine Commission for Foreign Acquisitions negotiated a contract with Colt for the manufacture of M1911A1. For production of Colt 1911A1's in Argentina (the first 10,000 were made at the Colt plant in Hartford, Connecticut), Colt engineers supervised the set-up of the production equipment, which was acquired from the Fritz Werner company in Germany, a maker of arms-manufacturing machinery still in business today.
    Last edited by OD*; November 24th, 2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Spellun'

~ Tiger McKee

How about looking at a M&P 45 compact?

I own one and love it

Made in the USA as well
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Checkout a Glock 36.Nice and easy to carry.I use an Mtac holster.Simple,neat, and easy to use.

I would go for a Sig P220 Carry. I love mine and I never notice the recoil on it. It is a little snappy shooting 230 grain +P but if you don't want that just don't shoot +P ammo!
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

RKM
    Glock 30, Glock 36, SA XD 45 compact, SA XDm 45 3.8, S&W M&P .45 compact, HK45c, HK USP .45 Compact, SigSauer P220 compact, P220 Carry... anything along those lines.

If carrying a 1911 is a must, I'd carry a full sized, at least a 4". I hear the short barrel 1911 can be very temperamental. 1911 are AWESOME because they're so thin. I don't carry mine because A: thumb safety, B: Heavy, C: Capacity....... in that order. Otherwise, all I'd carry would be 1911's.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I'm having a G30 customized by David Bowie, but that is to try out the red dot sight thing.
    I have been contemplating doing the SAME thing to my Glock 30 with the same company! As soon as you get it done and try it out, PLEASE post a report here!!!! I'm probably going to go with the Leupold sight since that's what Bowie highly recommends.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I chose the Kahr CW45 as my EDC after trying to carry a Glock and a Springfield both in .45 cal mainly due to comfort and concealability. When you wear it everyday, all day,to me this makes a big difference.
    I have approx. 1000 rounds through it now with no issues. Shoots well and the recoil is no worse to me than that of any other short barreled .45 .
    YMMV.

mkh
    I've owned a G21, a G30 and a Springfield EMP .40 in the past. I currently own a PT1911 and an XDm .45. The Glocks were just too bulky and I never did get used to their grips. The XDm is a big gun and I never have gottent comfortable with cocked and locked on the 1911.

My EDC is a Sig P220 and that has become my favorite .45 for carry. It's single stack so it's narrow and it has the grip angle and feel of a 1911. I've carried it all day both IWB and OWB with no problems. It conceals well and it ism comfortable to carry.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links