Close to buying a 45 for carry, would like input

This is a discussion on Close to buying a 45 for carry, would like input within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I alternately CC with with a Glock 30 and a Kimber CDP II. If one fits your hand better, choose that one. If both fit, ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Close to buying a 45 for carry, would like input

I alternately CC with with a Glock 30 and a Kimber CDP II. If one fits your hand better, choose that one. If both fit, get both. I definitely don't feel under gunned with either of them.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    The Glock 36 is about the best carry and shooting pistol I have ever carried.
    Amen to that. I have my well-worn, clean, and trusty Glock 36 with me almost all the time. Lots and lots of rounds shot with no issue at all, incredibly accurate combat pistol and oh so dang easy to maintain. Changed the recoil spring at about 2,000 rounds and probably will again soon just cause it's cheap and easy. (May use old springs at the range and use the new spring for carry). Recoil is just a push more than a snap with this gun. Never, ever will I NOT have a Glock 36. Usually in an RM Low Rider IWB, A Kramer Belt Scabbard, or a UBG Striker all on a good kydex-reinforced leather gun belt. She's riding on my hip now in the Kramer and man is it comfy. And comforting.

I always find it amazing to see how much knowledge a person can tap into on one of these fourms. I truly do thank everyone for all the input.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
    The .45 ACP legendary stopping power is just that a "legend". In my work I have interviewed 4 people so far shot point blank in the forehead with a .45 acp out of a 1911 with no real ill effecets. It did not stop their attacks either. I know people willl not belive this but that does not change the facts.
    Exactly. If I had a nickel for every time I've shot myself in the face with 12-guage buckshot, I could retire. It basically just tickles a bit.

Carry on.
    WHEC724 and BigJon10125 like this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I have been contemplating doing the SAME thing to my Glock 30 with the same company! As soon as you get it done and try it out, PLEASE post a report here!!!! I'm probably going to go with the Leupold sight since that's what Bowie highly recommends.
    Wilco.

I'm using the Trijicon clone of the JPoint; bought three of them when OpticsPlanet dropped the price upon discontinuance. My first Bowie Signature G19 w/RDS is a peach; the second... while Bowie's work is his usual excellence, there is something wrong with that sight; the elevation adjustment is kaput, so I cannot zero it. It will have to go back to Trijicon- one hopes they will service it.

And speaking of hope, I certainly hope the third one is good; I hate to think of the amount of money I have tied up in these three pistols. PM your e-mail address and I'll send you some pix... as one old grunt to another...

Ed Brown KCLW with a Pure Kustom BOP......weight is about the same as my EMP9......

KCLW.jpg
    b.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCWO View Post
    I am looking at buying an ATI FX45 Titan. This is an all steel gun with a 3.18 in barrel and 7 round mags. I have had different opinions regarding the recoil of short barrels on 45 autos. I know that recoil does not matter in a situation where the weapon is needed, but do these short barrels punish you at the range.

CWO
    Fantastic firearm if you get a good one and I've seen only two out of over 30 that needed tweaking. My brother (retired Army Sgt Major) has three of different configurations and finish. I have one as well.

You also might look at the American Classic by Metro Arms as well. I have two. They have both been absolutely consistant performers right out of the box. I will say that I've heard a couple of complaints about 'foreign' guns from the Philippines. I remind anyone who has these complaints to remember that the P.I. has a long association with America and they learned about the Government model .45 from Americans. They are capable of turning out outstanding firearms and particularly .45s. The Kimber that I carried with the Sheriffs Office took a few months before I was satisfied it would perform as needed, when needed, before I trusted it. I've had no issues with any of my P.I. .45s. The finish on the ATX.45 is a bit better than the finish on my Metro Arms .45. Both have great finishes though and both are 'tack drivers'. My Kimber is also a tack driver now that it's got a bit over 4000 rounds down the tube.

What ever you get, just spend some time with it and then ENJOY!

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Armscor does make a number of different pistols for a number of importers, but they are not making them on old Colt equipment.
    Not all from the same factory unless they just joined companies. To my knowledge, the last time I looked, there were two or three factories turning out more than one 'brand name' of .45 clones. Might be worth checking out. Metro Arms makes the American Classic II. My brother has the Shooters Arms (ATI) .45s as well as a Rock Island Armory .45.

They all do make fine firearms at an affordable price though. His Rock Island Armory is super accurate.

I'd really be happy to see a difinitve write up on these firearms from one of the gun rags.

Some people have said that the P.I. manufactured 'Firestorm' is really made by Bersa. Now Bersa does manufacture the Firestorm branded pistol, but it is NOT the MODEL of .45 pistol made in the P.I. and called the Firestorm. Two totally different pistols, two totally different manufacturers.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
    The .45 ACP legendary stopping power is just that a "legend". In my work I have interviewed 4 people so far shot point blank in the forehead with a .45 acp out of a 1911 with no real ill effecets. It did not stop their attacks either. I know people willl not belive this but that does not change the facts.

I have my old 1911 and I sure would not feel 'underarmed' with it either, further in all 4 cases were because the FMJ bullet spun around the skull and did not enetr the brain case (here is one of the video interviews vimeo.com/31172405) watch it its cop telling what he saw after then .45 acp hit the guy between the eyes.

But any handgun is bit lite to stop an animal as big as a man. But my point is a 9 mm in a JHP will work as well and is lot smaller and more controalble than these .45ACP pocket guns. That said you would not be underarmed with a .45acp either. But its no better than 9mm in most cases.

My research also discovered the other end of the spectrum too, that is a single .25 auto shot dropping a guy dead instantly.So the big gun, hard to hide and uncomfortbale to carry may not be the best choice. Nobody is going argue against the axiom: 'its the gun you have with you and in your ahnd when you need it that counts". But if the short bbl .45 is something that feels good for your body type etc, then OK, Perosnal feel and conmfort count for lot as to what oyu will carry, and if you do not carrry it then it can't help.

Guarantee you this won't happen with a 10mm...

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
    Not all from the same factory unless they just joined companies.
    Armscor produces RIA, Citadel, High Standard 1911, the old Charles Daly, and their own Armscor branded pistols. The STI Spartan is made with some Armscor components.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    I really dont understand the 9 mm guys throwing rocks at the 45 guys though. The 9mm is a fine round and I am sure everyone has their own reasons for carrying what they do but to somehow bash a 45 versus a 9 just ruins your credibility.

To the OP, carry whatever you like and are trained with. 45 or 9 are both effective.
    One thing is for sure, a 9mm may expand but a .45 never shrinks.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

OP, it's all in practice and tolerance level. Personally, I have found no difference worth mentioning, but then again, I see no major difference in the carriability in the commander vs the Goverment model size.
    I agree, and use the same holster for both.
    5 inch
    Spring2.jpg
    4 1/4
    S&W 1911-SC.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Knot2shabby View Post
    I am heading for a 45 also, am thinking Kimber Ultra. Any input good or bad will be appreciated.
    great carry gun and believe it or not soft shooter and pretty accurate for 3" .45......just could not get used to the single action........looking myself for a kahr P45 or HK 45 compact

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    This thread...some of the stories...

I had to check the date...thought maybe it was the April fools thread

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I have two .45's, an H&K USP Compact that is a great little shooter, and the Springfield that you see in my avatar. I know that many in this thread have avowed staying away from the 3" barrel, but I have to tell you that I stand behind my Springfield Micro-Compact.

I've had the gun for almost two years and shoot it often -- probably about 800 rounds through it by now. I shoot 185gr JHP's through it and not one time has it hiccuped on me. This gun has a solid feed ramp that's part of the barrel, so a hollow point doesn't get hung up on it when it slides into battery, and I carry this gun about 30% of the time I'm carrying -- otherwise it's my PM9.

For close in work, for a dependable shooter, and for the money, compared to a Kimber, I'd recommend this gun to anyone.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links