Close to buying a 45 for carry, would like input

This is a discussion on Close to buying a 45 for carry, would like input within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by maverick64 looking myself for a kahr P45 or HK 45 compact Remember the manual of arms with a semi auto might be ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Close to buying a 45 for carry, would like input

Quote Originally Posted by maverick64 View Post
    looking myself for a kahr P45 or HK 45 compact
    Remember the manual of arms with a semi auto might be different. If you get a DA/SA and you finish the fight with rounds in the magazine still, you're gonna HAVE to have the dexterity and foresight/muscle memory to safely drop the hammer before you reholster or risk shooting yourself. That's why if I were you, I'd look at the HK LEM (Law Enforcement Module) system or at the Sig DAK (Double Action Kellerman) system. My recommendation here might be for a Sig P250 or a Sig P220 carry or similar model in the SAS version, including that DAK action.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Remember the manual of arms with a semi auto might be different. If you get a DA/SA and you finish the fight with rounds in the magazine still, you're gonna HAVE to have the dexterity and foresight/muscle memory to safely drop the hammer before you reholster or risk shooting yourself. That's why if I were you, I'd look at the HK LEM (Law Enforcement Module) system or at the Sig DAK (Double Action Kellerman) system. My recommendation here might be for a Sig P250 or a Sig P220 carry or similar model in the SAS version, including that DAK action.
    I was actually in my local GS and the dealer could not understand why this was so important......after a shooting your heart beat is up and you are shaking....the last thing to remember is to lower the hammer................Thats why most PD's have DAO
    That is the reason I sold my Kimber Ultra CDP..........LEM is a must with me..............I can easily change the HK's to LEM......thanks for the response........................

One more thing: WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Thanks........actually looking at a Kahr P45.........very thin........6+1

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I favor the 1911, and carry a full size 1911, but there are a lot of options get one that is comfortable in your hand.

I have 3 - 45's

RIA full size GI , that I bobtailed, and installed night sights. Was my bedside gun until my grandson started staying with us.

RIA compact model , mild dehorning, and thin grips, bobbed hammer, shortened grip safety. Really easy to conceal this one.

Glock 36, Just got this one last month.

Out of the 3 the G36 is the lightest , therefore the easiest for me to carry. The other 2 are all steel guns and with my hip going out all the time can't take the weight pulling on me. But that being said if the compact had a aluminum frame it would be my choice for carry.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    ATI stands for American Tactical Imports. They import, market and distribute firearms. They are not a manufacturer of firearms and the ATI Titan series of 1911s is made by Shooters Arms Manufacturing in the Philippines. They are very solidly made 1911 platform guns, especially at the relatively low price point. Any handgun chambered in the .45acp with the right carry ammo is a deadly weapon. All bullets fired from any gun in any caliber under the right circumstances can do very strange unexplainable things when they hit a body. But that being said the .45 acp is certainly near to top end of the "stopping Power list" for handgun ammo and anybody who spins this fantastic yarn that its not is crazy and uninformed of the real facts. It makes a very big hole in what it hits and it hits hard. Period!
    Gary T likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Glock 30SF That says it all!

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Any handgun chambered in the .45acp with the right carry ammo is a deadly weapon.
    Any handgun chambered in the .45 acp is a deadly weapon, period. Any .45 acp ammo is the right carry ammo. It's a .45!!

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    I've heard a lot about how unreliable short-barreled 1911's are. Don't tell that to a Detonics I know.
    Well, I think the biggest difference between the Springer and the Para vs the Detonics is that the latter is essentially a custom built firearm with far greater QC and far fewer examples built, which will normally allow for a higher standard in quality control (QC). So I see no conflicts in my statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Knot2shabby View Post
    I am heading for a 45 also, am thinking Kimber Ultra. Any input good or bad will be appreciated.
    I have a UC II and love it. Conceals well for a .45. Got it only because I could not find a Springfield Loaded .45 at the time.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Picked up the Kahr P45.....wow.....deadly accurate.......thin, great carry.......looks like a keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Knot2shabby View Post
    I am heading for a 45 also, am thinking Kimber Ultra. Any input good or bad will be appreciated.
    I own a Kimber Pro carry2 and an Ultra and love them both. The Ultra is comfortable and reliable but with any short barrel 45 you need to put some rounds down range to get comfortable with it. My only problem has been with cheap range FMJ ammo with a few FTE issues but never with +P or +P+ rounds.

Talking

Go ahead and settle the score and go with the Judge Public Defender Poly 2".

Mine should arrive by the weekend.

Army,
    I don't have any personal experience w/ ATI guns, but I do carry a number of handguns chambered in 45 ACP. I first got an American Classic Commander with a 4.25" barrel and a nice, deep blue finish. About 500 rounds later it's still very reliable. I also carry a Citadel Compact w/ 3.5" barrel. It doesn't have quite as many rounds downrange as the AC, but it's also been very reliable. Both have nice triggers, although the AC is a little better. I've yet to warm up to the Citadel's Parkerized finish. I don't have a Government model to compare to, but recoil is certainly manageable for both 1911's. Both the 1911's are steel so they are not lightweights by any means. It's not a chore to carry them, using a nice holster and belt.

Another gun you might want to consider is the Kahr CW45. I just bought this one, but after about 75 rounds it's yet to have a malfunction. Like the 1911's, it's nice and thin so it just disappears w/ an IWB carry. Unlike the 1911's, it's part polymer so it is MUCH lighter.

Because of the external safety, I think the 1911's require extra practice compared to guns without a safety lever. Neverthless, the 1911 sure feels good in my hand and the triggers are sooo nice compared to others.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links