Close to buying a 45 for carry, would like input

This is a discussion on Close to buying a 45 for carry, would like input within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; going to try my new G30 today at the range.........seems like a great CCW for the right guy.......

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Close to buying a 45 for carry, would like input

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    going to try my new G30 today at the range.........seems like a great CCW for the right guy....

2. Remove Ads

I just purchased a Sig RCS. Any thoughts on that? I originally went in for either a Colt Defender or Sig p220 but walked away with a RCS instead.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCWO View Post
    I am looking at buying an ATI FX45 Titan. This is an all steel gun with a 3.18 in barrel and 7 round mags. I have had different opinions regarding the recoil of short barrels on 45 autos. I know that recoil does not matter in a situation where the weapon is needed, but do these short barrels punish you at the range.

CWO
    Bolded part is just plain wrong. Recoil matters, especially in a situation where the weapon is needed. Recoil affects more than flinching, or comfort, or amount of likely practice. It affects your ability to get back on target for accurate follow up shots. That affect isn't magically gone under stress, it gets worse with the loss of fine motor control that accompanies the adreneline rush.

In fact the affect of recoil on follow up shots is the reason some long time advocates of .40 and .45 now recommend 9mmP. Shot placement trumps caliber.

I'm not saying don't get a .45, just pointing out that rationalizing it by saying recoil doesn't matter when one is trying to defend themselves is fooling yourself. Handguns are not good single shot man stoppers, not even .45's. If more than one shot is needed, recoil that causes follow up shot misses can get you killed.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The short barrel 1911 issue is more in the lines that they tend to have misfeeds if not gripped (more) firmly. The shorter slide has less mass and requires a firm(er) grip to ensure functioning (the limp-wrist effect). Felt recoil is a relative thing. I'm sure an all-steel short-barreled 1911 is managable. Most 1911s seem (to me) to suck up recoil regardless of size.
    I agree about the grip. A short-barreled design, can be more problematic to begin with, and certainly amplified by a loose grip. With that in mind, my Defender has never failed to function. My wife has the tendency to limp-wrist, I need to let her shoot my Defender and see what happens?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by itzameeh View Post
    I just purchased a Sig RCS. Any thoughts on that? I originally went in for either a Colt Defender or Sig p220 but walked away with a RCS instead.
    I LOVE my Sig RCS! I wouldn't trade that weapon for any other 1911 design on the planet! I put CT's on her and she already had the night sights. In fact, I'm wearing it right now having just returned from running an errand related to our COMCAST TV service in a very unsavory part of town. When I saw where we were and where I'd have to leave my wife to cover the equipment swap I just called and scheduled a service appointment. The $30 fee is worth it for the safety factor alone. But I felt totally well armed with the RCS! Spare mags (7rd) are cheap right from Sig. I now have 5 spare mags.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCXD View Post
    Go ahead and settle the score and go with the Judge Public Defender Poly 2".

Mine should arrive by the weekend.
    WATCH OUT! I bought one and sold it before I even fired the FIRST round! That stupid little internal locking device partially SET ITSELF just from me working the action and dry firing. Imagine in an emergency if that happened? I had to send it back to Taurus, and even though they're located right here in my home of Miami FL, that in itself was a MISSION since they don't allow drop offs for repair. I had to get FEDEX and yada yada yada. Then they took two weeks and announced they'd made an UNSPECIFIED repair... and should I have any further trouble to contact them again.... Well I unloaded THAT for my Sig RCS (see elsewhere on this thread) in a great trade. I even made the buyer aware of the history of the gun, 'cuz I'd feel awful if somebody bought it and didn't know and got hurt, but the buyer was unconcerned. I did my duty of notification so my conscience is clear.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by dean1818 View Post
    How about looking at a M&P 45 compact?

I own one and love it

Made in the USA as well
    +1 with this guy. The m&p .45 compact is a very sweet shooting gun that doesn't kick much at all even with +p loads. Give you 8+1 all day long and lighter than an all steel framed 1911. Consistent trigger pull also.

Sorry, not for me. 8+1 for the M&P, I'll take my Glock Model 30 all day long and have 10+1 in the std mag plus being able to accept the bigger M21 mag for 13 rds backup. Consistent trigger pull here too. LOL BTW, diesel, I have your avatar as a backplate on my Glock 30! I saw it online for sale with a bunch of other choices like the sign for radiological/biological contamination and some others. When I had my new Trijicon sights mounted I put that on as well. It does look very c-o-o-l!

VIP Member
    Yep G-30

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    haven't seen it in person yet so time will tell but I have a springfield xds on my short list if you're not in a hurry to buy might want to wait and check that out....Springfield Armory XDS Single Stack .45ACP Micro
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCWO View Post
    I am looking at buying an ATI FX45 Titan. This is an all steel gun with a 3.18 in barrel and 7 round mags. I have had different opinions regarding the recoil of short barrels on 45 autos. I know that recoil does not matter in a situation where the weapon is needed, but do these short barrels punish you at the range.

CWO
    ATI is my last choice in 1911s(shoddy company and low resale value)....I do like Para ,esp the single stacks 45s
    I owned a colt defender for a while,it was fun too......

Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    haven't seen it in person yet so time will tell but I have a springfield xds on my short list if you're not in a hurry to buy might want to wait and check that out....Springfield Armory XDS Single Stack .45ACP Micro
    That XDS is going on my short list, too!

Regards,
    Jim

If you want a compact size Springfield XD models if you want a full size Ruger SR1911 best over any where near the price range.
    Glock is over rated and over price but if you want to sound cool saying I have a glock they do fire

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Glock is over rated and over price but if you want to sound cool saying I have a glock they do fire
    You know... I've heard words similar to those applied to HK (my favorite) many times.

I do believe that's the first time I've ever heard them applied to the king of the VolksPistoles...

here's my .02, for what it's worth. Find what feels best to you. Buy the best you can afford. Never, ever, just settle because you feel you have to have a gun.
    When you make your decision, shoot the bejeezers out of it. Strong hand, weak hand, two handed. Use the sights, fire from the hip, practice pulling from where you're wearing it. Practice moving, ducking and backing up. Use full size targets, stay at about the 20ft range.
    Save the NRA targets and long distance shooting for the movies.
    Know how your safety works.
    Know your trigger.
    Know where your extra clips are.
    Become so familiar with your gun, it becomes an extension of your arm.
    Always practice with the loads you will be using, and make sure they work flawlessly in your gun. I'd say a minimum of 500 rds will get you started.
    That said, my personal choice is the Colt Commander LW. It's thin, light, and after twenty years still performs flawlessly. I also use a few Colt goverments, when the weather is bad, as I can hide them just as easy, and I like to change up a bit.
    I bought a Colt Compact on a whim, and it's winning me over. I don't notice any difference in recoil.
    Last edited by texasleaguer; March 17th, 2012 at 02:53 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links